JW superstitions about the memorial -

by james_woods 51 Replies latest jw friends

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

hahaha I forgot all about the memorial nonsense!

Yes, there was competition among the congregations that went to the same hall who had the highest attendance. Whoever had the most had bragging rights!

One more thing, how many people that didn't attend meetings but could not miss the memorial because that would be a horrific sin! Guaranteed death at Armageddon! Yes! I heard brothers say that!

• Think About It
    Think About It

Some people were superstitious that JW's and associates had to be at the Memorial, because that was the most likely time for Armaggedon to start, and the KH the most likely place to be protected by Jehovah & his angels. Similar to like the Israelites being protected from the death angel because they were inside a room with lamb's blood on the door. Many people you would only see once a year, because of this superstition.

Think About It

• snowbird
    snowbird

JW's - majoring in minor stuff, not unlike the Pharisees who insisted on washing up to the elbow.

*shaking head sadly*

Syl

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Unshackled: Also, always found it strange when the brothers who passed the bread and wine around, would then pass to eachother. Like they had yet to have it passed to them. Didn't they just do that, like 20 times or so?

YES! Thank you! That has seemed odd to me even when I was devout.

As a kid the prospect of someone partaking was the most exciting part, aside from being allowed to touch the sacred plate and goblet. Of course, the pressure was intense.

"Don't spill it... steady... steady..."

But you knew you were "made" when your parents let you pass it without their fingers stabilizing it. "Sweet, I must be old enough to get baptized now," says the 9 year old under his breath.

We had a DF'd partaker in our hall for many years. We always thought she was looney but it was fun to watch. She who would dress in extravagant African Princess garments and stroll in late, making a big production, and then find a seat as close to the front as possible. When she partook, she made sure everyone knew it and one year she actually complained out loud to the speaker - during the ceremony - that there was a bit of cork in the wine. Pretty funny. To prevent a scene, they actually changed out the glass.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Late in my fading years I remember having a couple drinks before heading to the memorial. Just couldn't bare to go. That was my mini revolt.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Well not really a superstition, but in our hall you couldn't sit anywhere you'd like. They would sit as a first come basis, with the exception of the elders and MS. They were upfront.

• undercover
    undercover

You couldn't park any ole where either. They'd put every able bodied ( but not necessarily able minded) brother who didn't have an inside chore on parking lot duty. There'd be a brother with a flashlight every 3 or 4 car lengths directing you to the deepest, darkest corner of the parking lot.

And then...when it was over... OMFG...what a disaster. Cars parked three deep with the car in the middle wanting to leave but couldn't get out. And the little ole sister drivers who couldn't see in the dark and drove over the curbs and throughtthe grass trying to find the road.

And if one congregation was leaving while another one was trying to come in... double disaster. One year they had the main road blocked for several blocks. Neighbors called the police who had to come clean up the traffic snafu. They sent the brothers, who were standing in the middle of the road, holding up traffic, packing...and told them to never direct city traffic again. That's the police's job.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    but all the sisters in our congregation wore new dresses.

I did that LOL. That was the most exciting part of the evening, putting my new dress on!

I used to get really upset when the bread and wine was passed. I never liked the memorial! Now i know why i disliked it soo much.

There is one memorial when i was a kid and my cousins came over to play during the day. Well they called each other a little ''bugger''. Me being the innocent i was asked my mom on the way to the memorial what ''bugger'' meant. Well as you can imagine it did not go down well. My mom told me off and said ''i can't believe you have said that word on the memorial''... I was soo distressed that i prayed until i fell asleep begging God to forgive me and not to destroy me. That is one sick religion.

Mom if your reading this IT'S JUST A WORD! LOL. Love ya. x

Peace

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I remember a sister who was A member of Anointed ...Wore BRIGHT RED LIP STICK and sat in the back SO EVERYONE WOULD SEE the Bright Red Lips on the Silver Holy Grail as it was passed to everyone....very Humble LOL

• unshackled
    unshackled

But you knew you were "made" when your parents let you pass it without their fingers stabilizing it. "Sweet, I must be old enough to get baptized now," says the 9 year old under his breath.

LOL. Yep...I remember wanting to hold the damn glass myself "I won't spill the Jesus blood!" Parents hands were like training wheels.

In our family the memorial wasn't just a one night thing. We did the whole bible reading schedule the week prior...jesus last days...to get in the proper frame of mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit