JW superstitions about the memorial -

by james_woods 51 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is required to waste the evening--the most important boasting session of the whole year. Yet, the program was virtually identical every year.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I remember saving up my brand new Bible just for the memorial. LOLZ

• andys
    andys

The month of April is the only month that the borg steps up its activity in field service to try to find recruits.

• undercover
    undercover
    I remember saving up my brand new Bible just for the memorial.

never, never, use a brand new Bible at the meetings...especially the 'nicer' ones with pleather covers and gilded edges. The pages stick together and you're the last person to find the scripture. Use your trusty worn out Bible that opens almost to the page all by itself. This impresses parents, elders, new ones and the sisters looking for a spiritual brother.

I was the fastest scripture finder on the East Coast. But it wasn't because I was eager to read scripture. Mainly it was so that I could put the book down and pretend I was following along when I was really just daydreaming. The longer it took to find a scripture the more effort I had to put in looking like I was paying attention.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

hahaha That's the one I got. It was my first one and only I ever got that was nice. The only thing I hated was that coating that came off and would stick to your fingers.

And I used to the same thing! When my parents start letting me sit away from them I would try not to sit besides anybody because then they would ask for the scriptures that they missed and I would be like..."Uhhhh sorry I didn't hear him either".

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

We didn't had the mandatory touching part, for short rows plate/glass servant could just reach with plate in front of attendants and they could then nod to show that they have been given the possibility. same for the last cart row and even with the speaker/servant up and down ceremony. The plate and glass was just put in front of you and the correct reaction was not to touch it but nod in kind of an acceptance/recognition.

So there is local variation obviously here.

One interesting detail, the wine used here in most of the memorial locations is the very same wine our main church is using for their communions. It is clearly stated in speech that the wine is commercially produced.

CP

• carla
    carla

a makeup memorial can be held on the very next full moon.-- really? has it ever been done? does the whole cong have to show up for that one?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    JW's - majoring in minor stuff, not unlike the Pharisees who insisted on washing up to the elbow.
    *shaking head sadly*
    Syl

So right, Sylvia. Like old G B member Shroeder said "but - we have built up a great body of watchtower law" when Ray Franz said they should throw away the traditions and just go by the bible. I seem to repeat this every year, but I actually conducted the last Memorial I ever attended. I am proud to say that I did not follow the outline in the slightest way - and certainly did not mention the 144,000.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I am proud to say that I did not follow the outline in the slightest way - and certainly did not mention the 144,000.

Really? Wow, how'd that go?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

when I was a kid my father would bring the wine back home. We would sit have dinner and then "partake" of the wine. haha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit