The Hobbit and Evolution: So What's Up With That?

by AGuest 125 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

It's always important to warm the cockles.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    what I and a couple of other posters had regularly experienced at macdonalds.

Ahhhhh... no, wait: I'm not sure I denied what you and others experienced at MacDonald's, dear Curtains (peace to you!). If memory serves me, there were some who took issue with me for sharing an experience that another had when he tried to help a hungry man get a meal. Some didn't think he was justified in his actions (insisting that the man be allowed to have a meal). My position was that the man (who insisted on feeding the other man, who I know personally) did a good thing. Some disagreed with ME. I will go back and take a look at the thread sometime this week, but I don't recall it occurring as you suggest. Of course, I could be wrong and if so, will apologize. How's that?

Dearest Abaddon... peace to you... and surely you knew what you now say you know before you ever opened "my" thread? Why, then, did you?

Again, peace to you both!

A slave of Christ,

SA, a "cat", in some eyes...

• Curtains
    Curtains

aguest

I will go back and take a look at the thread sometime this week, but I don't recall it occurring as you suggest. Of course, I could be wrong and if so, will apologize. How's that?

apology accepted and peace to you

there is no need to go back over that thread as I can anticipate what your explanation will be and would like to save you the bother.

I'll say now, though, because I have a feeling you will not listen -

to me the voice of your Lord and your voice are one and the same, I make no distinction between the two.

once again peace to you

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Aguest

Dearest Abaddon... peace to you... and surely you knew what you now say you know before you ever opened "my" thread? Why, then, did you?

Ah, easy. I believe in people; I may doubt some people ever will but I have been and will be proved wrong in this assumption, in some instances.

And also, you inadvertantly mis-informed people as to professional opinion and used this to raise a question related to science in general, and perceived hypocracy.

If you had burbled on in your way about your opinion and cited facts correctly, I may have asked questioned aspects of how you arrived at this or suggest more likely interpretations; I like evolutionary biology.

If you'd said I believe in god but don't question science on the basis of religion, as discussing science from a religious view is a bit like dancing about architecture, I'd probably have given you a big sloppy kiss and said I wished more theists were like you.

But you are under the misapprehension it is about you. I know those on the margins, those who lurk or make one or two comments, are the actual ones discussion like this helps inform.

Many people coming out of the JWs still believe in JW style creationism. They may link belief in a specific creation belief to believing in god. But you don't believe in god because of science, so why attack science to defend your god?

You can have god. And science. Two for one offer.

You limit the possible power of god. If there is a god that called us into being, he set things up that way at the begining. He didn't need to go magic some monkey's like a third rate wizard, or take the still dice and moved them to the numbers he wanted. If there is a god all he needed to do to have you, me or potential yous and mes, writing this, today, is to blow on the dice before throwing them. Really, believe, but believe MORE, don't let your inability to comprehend something make you think god didn't do it that way.

Why you go on inisisting something so irrelevent to whether there is a god; like if he didn't magic monkeys, there is no god. That one thing. Is your belief in god based on THAT?

Is it just the set up to enable people obsessed with making rules about how god made us (that fly against all sense and reason) make other rules? One minute the Heavens and Earth in seven days, the next you are cutting off your son's foreskin.

Not saying I believe, but I am really disappointed by many believers lack of imagination. God = Gandalf?! Get over it.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    If memory serves me, there were some who took issue with me for sharing an experience that another had when he tried to help a hungry man get a meal. Some didn't think he was justified in his actions (insisting that the man be allowed to have a meal). My position was that the man (who insisted on feeding the other man, who I know personally) did a good thing. Some disagreed with ME.

Ah, sweet memories. As I recall, nobody said that it wasn't a good thing to feed a hungry man. Nobody. The issue raised was with how it was done. But whatever

• AGuest
    AGuest
    The issue raised was with how it was done.

Isn't that what "Some didn't think he was justified in his actions" means, dear Twitch (peace to you!)? It is what I intended it to mean.

so why attack science to defend your god?

My sincere apologies if you or anyone else thinks I "attack[ed]" science, dear Abaddon (peace to you, as well!), but nothing could be further from the truth. I attacked nothing and no one. I questioned the practice of science saying things are "fact"... when the fact is that they may not truly be. I did not malign anything or anyone, did not call names, did not question anyone's sanity, etc. I stated, and I believe rightly so, that I cannot see the difference in the accusation science and religion sling at one another... given they often use the same tactics.

You can have god. And science. Two for one offer.

Which I have personally never disputed. I have said on more than one occasion that I don't have an issue with science, per se. And I do believe in evolution (excluding the human species. I am inclined to ask further on that matter, so please look for a new post after this).

You limit the possible power of god.

I don't think I am the one so limiting Him... or His power, dear one.

If there is a god that called us into being, he set things up that way at the begining.

Science? I have NOT disputed that. I have said, on MANY occasions, it is science that limits... God, us, itself... because it won't/can't/doesn't see past that which is physical. It presume that the "physical" is absolutely ALL that exists.

He didn't need to go magic some monkey's like a third rate wizard, or take the still dice and moved them to the numbers he wanted. If there is a god all he needed to do to have you, me or potential yous and mes, writing this, today, is to blow on the dice before throwing them.

I disagree. The "dice" suggest chance... versus intended purpose and result. I don't think ANY of what exists was chance... other than the result of the choices humans make. Even then, I believe that, like ANY wise being... the outcome can reasonably be discerned/dedeuced.

Really, believe, but believe MORE, don't let your inability to comprehend something make you think god didn't do it that way.

You have not read all of my posts, obviously. I have made this very argument... that even science is the result of God, dear one.

Why you go on inisisting something so irrelevent to whether there is a god; like if he didn't magic monkeys, there is no god. That one thing. Is your belief in god based on THAT?

I have to admit, I don't quite understand this comment/question. This post was about the hypocrisy in the accusations hurled at religion by those HERE who put their faith in science(really, it was; some got that, some didn't. I would venture to say those that didn't, didn't want to get that, but... ah, well). Again, both camps engage in this. It was not about evolution (which, as I stated... here and elsewhere... I believe in, excluding human evolution)... or really about God. True, it may have went in those directions but not because of me. Be all of that as it may, I do not consider whether there is a God irrelevant. That is, however, your opinion/insistence.

Is it just the set up to enable people obsessed with making rules about how god made us (that fly against all sense and reason) make other rules? One minute the Heavens and Earth in seven days, the next you are cutting off your son's foreskin.

You know, dear Abad... I'm gonna stop here because, again, this was not the topic of the thread. I have engaged in exhaustive discussion about these issues elsewhere, however, and so will simply ask you to do a search and see what I shared on them. But, although I don't necessarily have a problem with topics veering, I don't think I want to continue because I think you're using these issues NOW for the wrong reasons.

Not saying I believe, but I am really disappointed by many believers lack of imagination. God = Gandalf?! Get over it.

And I am disappointed that you... presume... that (1) I am among such many believers who lack imagination; (2) associate the Most Holy One of Israel with magic... which is something completely contrived by man... and requires much more imagination.; and (3) assume I reject science, which I don't. You misunderstand me, which is understandable because you think you "know" me. You think this because you lump me in with your pre-set notion of "believers." Please... don't do that. You are doing yourself a disservice... and really limiting yourself and what you know... when you do.

Again, peace to you... and perhaps I'll see you on my next new post.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit