Good talk with mum and dad

by boyzone 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

That's wonderful, boyzone! I wonder how many other JWs are seeing this too.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Boyzone - my heart was warmed by your experience. I hope it is a sign that the control is loosening on members. I am so delighted that you have been able to share in your mum's special day and help them to start a critical thinking process.

Btw - are you coming on the 30th??

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Very good experience ,thanks for sharing . Amazing how when people are given the opportunity to use their own conscience ,they come up with more reasonable conclusions than the Society .

I also am surprised the Elders have not shut down their little study group .....Around here that kind of thing is nipped in the bud pretty quickly .

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

lovely story, warms the heart. goodluck to you and your oldtimers.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's great that they have come to realize that their relationship with their family is more important than the man-directed, man-inspired shunning policy. I wouldn't expect them to do anything that would cost them their JDub friends and support group at the KH, but it's great that they have come to see that it's OK to think for themselves on some matters.

My parents in their 80s, life long JDubs, called me when they were reading the new yearbook asking what the heck about the number of memorial partakers? Shouldn't this number be going DOWN? Everything they were taught would happen long before now, still ain't happening.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

What a great story - one can only hope for such a great outcome !

• nugget
    nugget

Well done you may their little group prosper and have many more lively discussions . Those who have the history behind them can see the issues more clearly but have fear of letting go.

• laverite
    laverite

WOW! What awesome parents. I think OTWO said it the best: WOO HOO!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I think this is a huge step towards your parents' freedom ! Its no small thing that they've chosen to celebrate a birthday after so many years. Major major change there in my opinion...well done you.

Loz x

• boyzone
    boyzone

Thank you all for your positive comments! I am so pleased to see mum and dad starting to think for themselves, and as the Society become more hardline, the easier it will be for them to see the contrast between the scriptures and the Society. I just have to remind myself to take the "softly softly" approach and not steam in with too much info too soon. I have to stand back and let them work it out for themselves.

I must admit their discussion group worries me a little. At the moment, their age allows them some leeway with the elders who think their group is a harmless get-together. If the elders realised that too much controversial questioning was going on, mum and dad may end up with a talking to and the group being disbanded. They gotta be careful who they invite and what they discuss.

But all in all I'm really pleased with the way things are going.

I've also just read Alfred's thread on The Society's desperate higher education slamming. When mum and dad read that WT, it'll be another nail in the coffin. They've often reasoned that the talk against higher education is tripe due to the amount of degree qualified lawyers the Society need to use.

So bring it on WT! The harder you are, the more desperate you sound and the more arrogant and controlling your statements become, the easier it will be for people like my mum and dad to see that you're a bunch of conmen, hellbent on maintaining your own powerbase at any cost.

CANTLEAVE;

Yep, hope to be there on the 30th! x

BZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit