Has anyone left still believing it was the truth?

by FollowedMyHeart 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I would agree that many consiously leave like you did. Especially taking the step to DA, as most want to avoid the pain of shunning. That is why most who believe it to be the truth live a double life, hoping they don't get called to the carpet.

I would think that either the bad marriage/being gay scenario would probably be the majority that leave like this. Hopefully they mentally escape in time like you did.

• simon17
    simon17

I have a friend who left and still believes the JW's have the truth. Its incredible. He is 100% fully indoctrinated, but knows there is no hell, does not want to live a boring JW life and has consciously decided to live a life of sin, knowing it will cost him his life at Armagheddon. Very strange mindset.

• Ding
    Ding

FollowedMyHeart,

I'm sending you a PM.

I know a number of JWs who left the WTS, not because they felt it wasn't the truth, but because they couldn't live up to the requirements.

They were worn out by the treadmill of meetings, field service, the constant feeling of unworthiness, guilt, etc.

A number of people who leave because of something they can't stomach in the Society still believe a lot of the teachings.

They've never really considered alternatives and they still battle the fears the WT instills with their teaching that if you leave "the truth" you end up in a life of depravity.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was a really good thread on this subject a few years ago but I can't find it now. The subject line was something like, "Did you leave the Witnesses despite believing it would mean you would die at Armageddon?"

Many commented that they came to the conclusion they would rather die than live the JW life even before they realised it was all wrong anyway.

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Yes you bet I am and proud of it! I have left all the JW'S behind and told all of them to - off. Including my brother and my dad. They have cut me off and all the rest of the family are now giving me the cold shoulder aswell and these are not even JOho's anymore! WTF, HAS MY DAD DONE TO THIS FAMILY .He is responsible for the break up of the family.

HHG

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

No, I am forever convinced that the truth is beyond the reach of religion as a whole. Only science is allowed to have crumbs of the truth at dinner. So the JW religious crap is anything, but not the truth.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

In general terms I think people who've been brought up in this religion, such as myself left holding some of the JWS doctrines to be true/truthful.

You cant take years and years of indoctrination planted firmly into your intellectual and emotional consciousness and just pour it all out instantaneously.

That in my thinking would be inhumanly impossible, psychologically speaking.

I did and asuming that many others did so as well, leave with a open and wanting mindset to learn more.

But like another poster stated there are people who leave and return through the Kingdom Hall continually not able to find themselves completely

or come to a clear definition of what the WTS. is and why people are involving themselves with this organization.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

thetrueone,

It is possible. I did it. I puked for a whole day but I did it.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

But were you brought up a JWS from childhood ? NomadSoul

Were your entire family JWS all at the same time ?

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

My mind sort of "broke" during my exit, but not in the literal nervous-breakdown sense of the word.. I geniunely did not want to live forever, and still don't want to. I think 60 or 70 years of life will be enough for me. My friend looked at me as if I was crazy when I mentioned that to him. See, one of the tricks used is to make you think you're crazy if you don't want the same salvation as them. I had to begin looking at each doctrine individually, as if one thing is wrong, it is no longer the composite "truth." Only then did I realize how many things were wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit