Capitalism or Communism

by d 92 Replies latest jw friends

• d
    d

WHich syestem do you think works better? Capitalism or Communism. I think none of them work. They have serious flaws.

• onemore
    onemore

In my opinion, a trully democratic economic system is the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_democracy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Capitalism needs to be changed, riegned in so that people have more power, a lot more power. At present, the people are being bypassed almost totally. It's not democracy.

S

• dgp
    dgp

In my humble opinion, there are only three kinds of people who can actually prefer communism:

1. You have never lived under communism, and therefore don't know just how bad it is;

2. You were one of the powerful oppressors under communism, and therefore you want your privileges back; or

3. You are so doing so bad under capitalism that you want the old system back, not because it was good, but because you were better off.

Would you rather live in the Netherlands or in North Korea?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

It's not a question of Capitalism vs Communism because both can exist together like it does in China.

The question is: Which is better, Capitalism under a authoritarian govenment like China or Capitalism under a democratic government like the US?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Cannibalism!

• Satanus
    Satanus

How about capitalism like in europe?

S

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

yeah, that too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have been reading a lot of books by David Harvey, Slavoj Zizek and Alain Badiou recently. I think we should give communism a go. Not only is capitalism unfair and tarnishes the lives of millions, but it is not equal to the unprecedented challenges humaity faces. Amercian political debate on communism is unfortunately still stuck in the Cold War mentality. But it is time for a fresh look at everything. As Lincoln said all those years ago:

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."

Except it is now the planet we must save. Nations, peoples and classes will succeed together or collapse separately.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Both systems can be, and have been, abused to the detriment of those living under the systems.

I'd rather live under capitalism, although I can see why some might think communism is beneficial too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit