The Wine Thread.

by Open mind 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

We are enamoured with http://www.vigilancewinery.com/wines/2008-cimarron.php .

I think it is like $18 at BevMO, and .05 for the second bottle. It's dark, rich, and yummy.

• flipper
    flipper

My wife and I like a good Merlot several nights a week. Usually buy Smoking Loon but will settle for BV Coastal Estates too. Depending which one is on sale at the grocery store for $ 5.50 to $ 7.00 . I try to avoid paying $10.00 or more on Merlot wine at least at the grocery store for regular use.

But when having Turkey or White meat like trout or something- I enjoy a good Reisling - I like Johannisburg Reisling - also a good Gerwitzerweiner or whatever the hell its called is good too. But it's usually a bit too sweet for me - don't drink it often

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Côtes du Rhône,

and Bordeaux (good for arteries).

For both, 2009 was a good vintage, also 2005 and 2003. The problem is that 2003 is now getting a bit too old for Cotes du Rhône, so I have to drink my reserve off.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

...sometimes I even add it to the food.

and so much more succinct. (Wish I'd said that.)

g'night, all

• Open mind
    Open mind

aligot ripounsous: "so I have to drink my reserve off."

It's tough work but someone's got to do it!

g'night as well.

om

• karter
    karter

Nickolas,

2008 Monkey bay sav Blanc will be past it's best....they need to be drunk young and crisp.

Try a good NZ charrdony,Merlot.

PM me if you want to know more.

Karter.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Open Mind, I do not live in Cali, but we do have Trader Joe's where I am from. One line of wine that I am often pleased with is Barefoot which are very inexpensive. I like Oregon wines too, and fell in love with A to Z while on a business trip once.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Happy Sunday everyone!

OK, how about telling us the most expensive wine you've ever tried.

And the cheapest that, in your opinion (which is the only one that counts), was drinkable.

MOST EXPENSIVE: I've had one or two expensive ( >$100/bottle) French reds opened for me in my lifetime. One was a Bordeaux and one was a Burgundy. Too bad my palate was very inexperienced at the time. My wife and I also shared a bottle of Dom Perignon Brut ($100) long before we knew what good bubbly tasted like.

CHEAPEST: On a trip to Europe we kept buying cheaper and cheaper wines at the super-market. Our rock bottom was $4.00 U.S. and was a very food-friendly red table wine. I guess Europeans don't tolerate bad wine.

om

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

While visiting Paris for the second or third time back in 1977 I bought a bottle of 1973 Chateau Lafite Rothschild. It was one of the most expensive bottles of wine in the shop but I recall it costing less than the equivalent of $50. That would be about $200 today, but there is no way you can touch a Lafite of any description for that price these days. Even the miserable 1997 vintage (which I had the great misfortune to purchase at $175 back in 2002) will now set you back $800 and a bottle from a more recent better vintage will go for around $1200+. Regardless, I gave the bottle to my dad as a gift, he kept it in his cellar for another 5 years and opened it when my wife and I were visiting, so it was 10 years old when we had it. It was, in a word, orgasmic. I never had, nor have since, tasted anything as incredible as this was.

Best cheap wine I've tasted is much more recently. This is a 2007 Fuzion Shiraz/Malbec out of Argentina. It's available for about $7.50 in North America and for $2 more you can get the reserva. Both wines are a little shy on bouquet but have great mouth feel, round tannins and surprisingly (for the price) good complexity.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Nickolas: "It was, in a word, orgasmic."

First time I've ever heard that word used to describe a wine. Must have been pretty spectacular.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit