We Give/Gave Up So Much Over This Thing

by OnTheWayOut 22 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think of a reporter that breaks a huge story about some corruption in the government who won't reveal his source of information. The government uses anti-terrorist laws against that reporter to try to force him to speak. The laws are designed to protect the people and are used in a warped way to protect the government and allow it to hide it's corruption. The reporter has to either violate his principles and turn in a whistle-blower who did the right thing or else go to jail for violating a law that was never meant to be abused that way.

That's the no-win situation. This reporter will give up so much either way.

So many people on JWN and our loved ones are in a similar situation. We have to choose what to give up. In our cases, often we either give up our freedom and integrity or else we give up our loved ones. If we choose not to give up our loved ones, we have to compromise in some way. We have to keep our opinions to ourselves to some degree. Some still go to the Kingdom Hall and go out in the recruiting work. Others manage to get out of that, but have to refrain from celebrating their birthday or participating in events that are banned by Watchtower. I won't drag that out, we all know that people have varying circumstances.

Some choose to speak freely about our disagreements with Watchtower. Some are already kicked out of the congregation and choose not to give up their integrity or pride or whatever it is they feel and refuse to kiss the elders' asses. These ones give up something in their relationships. Again, I won't drag that out, as we all know what that might mean to us or others. I will mention that some have lost way more than I have- they have lost contact with those closest to them such as their parents or their own children. In the very worst cases, some have lost a loved one over the blood issue to the Watchtower. Some of them may have still lost more afterward because they tried to speak out in that situation.

I just wanted to say a couple of things about that. We are all in that same boat. We have fellow feeling on this. But it's not for us to really decide how others should decide which path of loss to take. Also, because we have all experienced this, we should understand that we might get a bit passionate with our opinions, be they political, religious, or spiritual, or whatever. I am certainly no exception in that.

At the end of it all, we are faceless strangers in many cases or just a personality in typing. We don't have to sit down and break bread with each other or meet for drinks. BUT REALLY, should it be that way? I hope that we don't sit around sulking at how people typed harsh words or didn't show the amount of respect the other hoped for or thinks is due.

I don't view anyone on here as an enemy and I would love to meet with any and all of you in a coffee shop. I will grant that I wouldn't want to be alone with some of you and maybe you feel that about me or others, but even in those cases a group setting would be awesome. If you think I am a crazy stalker or if I think you are one, I still have fellow feeling for you. Because my wife won't understand, I might not automatically meet with you on a moment's notice (especially if you are a lady) and many here have a greater degree of anonymity than I do. But if I could (and sometimes I have been able to) I would love to meet and hug each and every one of you.

We all gave up so much over this stupid cult/religion/way of life. Don't expect everyone to "agree to disagree" but let's respect that people we vastly disagree with are here for similar reasons of support and understanding. At the end of the day, internet arguments cannot really be "won." Even if they actually can, what is "won" anyway? Admiration from others that we gave someone a zinger? Alright. Live with that if you are zinged or if you are the zinger. Shake electronic hands and wait for the next round on some other thread, but don't get all aggravated over this forum. In the end, maybe Minimus is right to just ask a bunch of questions and try not to rouse people to anger. But if some are roused to anger, let it go.

Thanks. I would love to hear from those that don't feel the same way and from those that do.

• sabastious
    sabastious

In the Bible, God gave Adam and Eve a choice: live under his rules or be exiled to lands of a cursed earth. They chose freedom and now a lot of us, from our personal choices, understand why they gave up "God's Garden."

It's pure irony that the Watchtower use this genesis story to fuel their entire doctrine. Without Adam and Eve's choice the Watchtower would never have existed and would have no power.

-Sab

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

OTWO: That is the best thread starter that I've read in my 3 years here. Sometimes a few simple written words help to soothe my often angry and disappointed view of my fellow man.

I hope fervently that one day I get to meet everyone on this board.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Good thread OTWO

• wasblind
    wasblind

" But if I could (and sometimes I have been able to) I would love to meet and hug each and every one of you."

Here's one to tie you over until we meet one day

((((((( OTWO )))))))

Great post

The July 09 Awake " No one should be made to choose " came to mind while reading this opening post

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I totally agree with you OnTheWayOut. Most,if not all,have been or are going through so much because of this religion. We just have to be kind to each other and sometimes agree to disagree.

I prefer to stay off the more controversial threads. Really,most of the time,it's just a matter of opinion. It won't make a difference either way how many agree with us or not.

But,it's true as you said,we have lost a lot,and in the end,no one can live our lives for us. But,for the most part,it can be a healing place for those just waking up, and it helps to discover we're not alone. I know this forum has helped me tremendously. And I hope to one day,at least meet some of those who have taken me under their wings,so to speak,in person.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. Imagine if we were all sitting around a table discussing this stuff. It would probably degenerate into a food fight...

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

I gave up my independence, education (went to school eventually, but would be in a better postion financially), money, gas, time, shunned some folks, and some work in order to devote my efforts to the WTBS. I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER do it again.

• JRK
    JRK

OTWO,

It is a delicate tightrope walk, isn't it? What to give up, what to stand firm on. I live this each day. It is temporary though, as I have only one family member that I couch my words for, to protect that relationship and also her.

JK

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

OTWO! You are a beautiful person. I can't tell from your avatar, but you know from the heart's abundance. . .lol! I would love to meet a lot of the people who post here too.

We forget sometimes what we all have in common. I've always thought when you look for what you have in common with someone else it's much harder to be mean and a lot easier to be tolerant and compassionate. Thanks for the reminder!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit