J-Dub Gossip: How Do/Did You Handle It?

by DarioKehl 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Perhaps the biggest fear I have of leaving is the ensuing gossip that will follow. I know it's stupid to worry about what will be said about me once I'm "out," but it kills me inside. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't already deal with my fair share of gossip as it is while still "in." I'll tell you this much though: since my fade, I haven't gossiped nearly as much as I used to!!! I'm soooo much less judgemental and have met so many interesting people from different backgrounds that were routinely villified in my Dub upbringing.

Without revealing too much about my identitiy, I'll share with this board the hurtful accusations that have been hurled my way over the years:

I'm a single, 30-something male. Never married, no kids. Do the math. What do YOU think I've had to deal with flying around the Dub grapevine my entire adult life? Much earlier, in my late teens/early 20's, I was hauled into the B-room while serving as an MS and asked if I was "a homosexual" because "some people may be wondering." That pissed me off. I had just turned this elder's daughter down after she asked me out and the next meeting, I was yanked to the back. I told them I was not (tee-hee!!! not active anyway, I am quite bisexual and desperately tried to conceal it for years--since 7th grade to be precise). But that was such a rude awakening for me and it bothered me long before my fade knowing that my sexuality was being discussed by everyone even though I was still a virgin and would remain so for years after. I switched congregations not long after that.

My parents were also very active with the younger people in the congregation. After they moved out-of-state in my mid-20's, I took over their effort. All of my bible studies were younger, I always reached out to the sad, lonely, "rebel" type young ones who everyone else avoided like the plague. I always took kids (and encouraged their parents to join but rarely with success) out in service on Wednesday afternoons when they were done with school. It really bumped my FS time and got kids out in the Cervix Menstruy who would otherwise never have gotten an opportunity to participate. I'd get the occasional "thank you" and "Oh you're so good to the young people" but then it seemed that I was the person who was expected to provide transportation or "babysit." Usually, I'd end up having to chaperone...at least it felt that way. One reason I decided to fade was hearing nasty rumors about me giving "too much attention to younger people" and that was very hurtful...especially knowing that there is an epidemic problem with child predators within this organization. I assure you all that is simply NOT the case with me. I grew up in a youth-friendly and very stable environment. I identify more with the youth than I do with the boring, stoic, "elder and pio-wife" crowd, anyway. My mom is the same way to this day! That's no sin at all, but some of the nasty slander that spread about me was very hurtful. Before my fade, I stopped ALL efforts to reach out to the teens in my congregation and became very jaded. I mean, here I was, giving my time, energy, resources and money to help these "weak" parents' kids become more active in spiritual activities and the only payback I got was either expected, unappreciated obligations to pick their kids' butts up every Wednesday or hateful rumors. It's apparent that genuine predators have more rights and protection from the BOE and WBT$ than a perfectly harmless, well-intended guy like me. It's sad, because the real victims of my discouragement were the youth of that hall. I had to cut them off because I was uncomortable. They were confused as hell, needless to say but it was so embarrassing and hurtful I couldn't bring myself to tell them why I ditched them. After my fade, many of them eventually left on their own accord (thank GOD) and now they are happy, stable adults who occasionally run in to me at hookah bars LOL. I suppose I'm ALSO to blame for their tattoos, facial hair and worldly spouses now??? Probably! Anyway, I have had the chance to explain what I had to put up with to the ones I ran in to and they agree--it's total BULL$#!t.

At one point, I was very interested in a gorgeous sister but dating within the congo was a nightmare. The scrutiny. The back-biting. The rumor. The gossip. Never again. Most of the people hurling the slander were the ones who complained to elders about us sitting together at meetings and holding hands. Now faded, I am finally able to pursue healthy relationships outside of that windowless brick box and I've never been happier!!! I cannot believe how much more enjoyable the dating game is when you're not under the giant magnifying glass! And the best part is, especially at work, I can scope chicks who are not only gorgeous, but emotionally stable, intelligent and educated like I am! I'm sorry, but a home-schooled pioneer sister is nothing but an emotional, financial time bomb. And yes, I've even had a few opportunities to play for the "other team" too--GUILT-FREE!

So, once I officially leave, the rumors will fly about Dario. And that concerns me, even though I'll be moving on. In the back of my mind, I'll still wonder what they're saying about me now. I'm almost tempted to show up at a memorial 5 years from now with a shiny convertible and a beautiful wife and kids just to prove them all wrong! Is that normal? I know it doesn't make sense, but is it normal?

What specific gossip/slander have you all had to endure? How did you cope? Does it still bother you knowing you're likely the topic of car group gossip and B-room meetings? How do you reconcile that??? Do you eventually get over it? I am like Ellen Degeneres, desperate for everyone to just "like" me and it kills me when my efforts fail. I want CLOSURE. I want to prove them all WRONG. I'm a decent, loveable guy and they'll never realize it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

In order to not let the gossip hurt you at some point you're just gonna have to not care what folks, who really don't have anything to do with your life, say about what they think is going on in your life.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I've wondered if hypnosis would help lol! "Make me not care!" If they can stop smoking and hunger urges, they should be able to turn off the mechanism that makes me give a damn, right? I think the reason it concerns me is because my family is all still active. Whatever hateful slander persists after my departure will be crap THEY have to put up with. I'll be long gone, happily moving on. I just don't want them to have to deal with the "black sheep" in the fam. I mean, just wait till I have a new lable: APOSTATE! lol! Sometimes I wonder if they'll be bored after I leave. Nothing to talk about anymore!

But to reiterate, being away from the gossip environment has really helped me to change that tendency in myself. I just don't talk about people anymore. My new friends don't. I guess you imitate those who surround you. It's wonderful. I used to be so hateful about people--even total strangers--and that's one thing I'll NEVER MISS.

I have a theory about JW gossip. If you think about it, so many activities are "bad" and frowned upon (sports, dances, clubs, "high-risk" hobbies) that the only thing left for them to do is drink copious amounts of booze, EAT, shop and FRIGGAN GOSSIP. It's a form of recreation!

• itsbeenalongtime
    itsbeenalongtime

This is a long story....So I will cut it as short as I can, so sorry if it sounds blunt...hahaha... My husband and I were reproved while we were dating.......Can you guess why?? hahaha. Anyway, a few months later we said to hell with it and got married.. 8 months from time I had been reproved I found out I was having a baby..We were already married when this happened and didnt tell anyone at 1st but you know how things get around so one day at the meeting a sister grabed my arm (so hard she left a bruise on me) and she demanded to know what date my child was concieved....I just looked at her and said it wasn't from before because I would have to be 8 months along.......I would have been showing. I was 110lbs Im pretty sure everyone would have known if it was from before. So this sister went on to tell me that she was told it was from before and wanted no part in the baby shower if it had been... I just thought how stupid are these people if they cant even do basic math. They were so cought up in the scandel that my baby was not concieved while I was married that they couldnt even see facts right infront of ther faces...

Another time I was pulled in the elders room because I sat in the front seat with an Elders son and some people thought that it was not right since we were not dating. We were out inservice.. and no one came to me they all ran right to the elders...

I have so many stories. People must really love me because they sure love to make crap up about whats going on in my life. I must be pretty awesome if they feel the need to do this... hahahahaha..

Sorry about what you had to deal with. Its crazy what people will say because they are board with their on lives.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've wondered if hypnosis would help lol! "Make me not care!"

But really, that's all you can do. You can't make everyone stop talking about you. They're gonna do it whether you want them to or not. And yeah your family might be expose to that gibber gabber about what other folks think is going on with you and there is really nothing you can do about it other than be the person you are. It shouldn't matter what folks say about you to your family but yeah I know it matters and can hurt if what is said gets back to you through your family. If it's not true (and even if it is true) it's best not to care. Why dwell on something you have no control over? That's crazymaking.

• jeckle
    jeckle

ya forget them ! keep moving forward and dont look back

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

i ignore it or laugh at it. these people who gossip lead such pathetic boring lives that the only thing they can do is try to butt into yours.

@ itsbeenalongtime the same thing happened to me, my wife and I were married in the first part of August and our daughter was due June 2nd and I had "concerned relatives asking if she was conceived in wedlock or not because otherwise they wouldn't attend the baby shower. I just told them to count back 9 months from June 2nd and tell me what date they got.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Think of it as a blessing. This might be just the kind of experience that gets your relitives out of the cancer. you never know what will be the trigger to get them to think.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You have to just grow a thick skin and not think about it. So what if they're gossiping about you? If they're not part of your social or employment scene, then there's little you can do about it.

Forget them and get on with your life.

• wobble
    wobble

When I was in I was not aware of much in the way of gossip, some may have expressed their disapproval of things I did, like belonging to a sports club and spending a lot of time on that, plus I was known as a drinker, although I rarely got really bladdered.

So those things were not gossip, they were observations, if judgemental ones. But I have never been one to run my life on what other people think. My conscience was always my own, not theirs.

On one occasion I heard of one "brother" who said something quite false about me, I went straight to him ,told him that he must correct what he said to any he had spoken to, apologise to me and my wife, and if he said anything like it again, or this same gossip was to spread, I would take him, and anyone else involved to Court for slander.

His reaction ? A smug "We don't take eachother to Court " (bastard) so I said, ( angry by now) "Well I do, so I'll see you there"

I got my apology, and heard of no more such nonsense. I told him again after the apology, that I would sue for slander at the slightest hint, I would have too, and the word went round.

After I left, being known throughout several Circuits, having been born-in, they were in a quandry as to how to explain my leaving, of course it couldn't possibly be anything wrong with the teachings of the cult could it ?I was not a sinner, so they had to invent something.

The rumour went around that I had left to start my own religion !

I just laughed and said "What a good idea, I could make some money doing that ! "

I really don't give a flying *u*k what they say about me now, they do not affect my life, it does take a good while to get to feeling that way for some, I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit