Jehovah's Witness children and creativity...

by Tuesday 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Hey there folks,

I remember some time ago there was a wonderfully written website which dealt with Jehovah's Witness children specific type of suppression causing a higher number of very creative children than other religious forms of suppression. I was wondering if anyone remembered what this link was?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Does this help?

7. Dewing & Taft, Some Personality Characteristics of the Parents of Creative Twelve-year-olds, 41 J. Personality 81, 82 (1973):

A second demographic variable found to be related to creative ability was unusual religious belief. In particular, a disproportionately large number of highly creative children were Jehovah's Witnesses. Four children from the total sample of 394 were members of this sect, and all four showed high creative ability. The girl who gained the highest total score on the Torrance tests, and the girl who was the only child, male or female, to be included in the top 20 percent of all five performance measures, were both Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It was actually an entire site with multiple pages of different studies, it was really cool. It was a kind of plain website though just tan with black lettering. I'll google that quote and see if I can find sites with that in it and hopefully I'll find the site I was looking for.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I agree with this. I had a nice singing voice growing up, but I was always taught that to pursue a singing career would be a 'worldly endevor.'

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

So whats the deal? Why are they more creative?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Tuesday:

After years of suppression on a number of fronts, I have been freed from religion's specious reasoning that our proclamation of self detracts from God's glory; the declaration below has become my creed:

‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so?

You are a child of God, small games do not work in this world. For those around us to feel peace, it is not example to make ourselves small. We were born to express the glory of god that lives in us. It is not in some of us, it is in all of us. While we allow our light to shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When we liberate ourselves from our own fears, simply our presence may liberate others.’

- Marianne Williamson in Return to Love: Reflections on a Course in Miracles

CoCo

• AnneB
    AnneB

CoCo, you're right. That's what Jesus was trying to tell the apostles when he said if they only had faith the size of a mustard grain they could tell a mountain to move from here to there and it would happen.

• Brother_Izzacult
    Brother_Izzacult

something about CS lewis, and a bus, and everybody is on the bus, and eventually the bus stops, and you get off the bus, and you either go towards the light or you don't.

something like that.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi AnneB!

Yes! I'm through with negativity, fear and the resultant holding back! Apart from wearily dealing with the wildcat and black dog manic-depressive behaviors (I prefer the old term; bipolar sounds so clinical.), I've learned to respect, to allow, the ebb and flow of the psyche's inscrutable workings and live ... and let live.

Good hearing from you,

CoCo

• AnneB
    AnneB

The perfect complementary thread to this one is Mr. Falcon's thread on "going Galt". There's a time for letting creativity show and a time to keep it hidden; not denied, but not so out there that a person feels forced/midlead into using what they know/do against their better judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit