1 Meeting for each of your fingers ? ? ?

by william draper 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

We had the hanging on to a cliff with one hand illustration. You wouldn't want to let go with any of your five fingers, you need them all to survive...

and then there was the ping pong balls in a glass, and then you pour beans all around to show if you put the big 'important' things in life first, (all five meetings) all the other little cares of life (like...family....and work...!) will fit nicely.

• talesin
    talesin

Oubliette, ahaha! love it

Can someone who experienced this part of JW-ism, please elaborate on what decade, and perhaps country? It may be a regional thing, or not from 'my time', but this is completely new to me. I don't doubt it for a second, and would like to know more details about when and where. Thanks!

("my time' would be 60s/70s)

; )

• stuckinarut2
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Yah I remember the stupidity of the 'one meeting for each finger' WT mentality. It makes you wonder how many elders who stressed the importance of not missing any of those 'five' meetings look back and realize how dumb they sounded. I remember one elder in particular whose pet peeve was always holding up his five fingers to high-light the importance of attending all five meeting...my how things have changed!!! And now we are down to two days a week of meetings and all of them are shortened & abbreviated. What a joke!

• nevaagain
    nevaagain
    they could still argue that family worship is like the fifth meeting. anyway, i was always against 5 meetings. for me it was a huge burden to have to go to two meetings during a week. i was always missing the book study and whenever someone would question my behaviour i would say, that if the organization would axe a meeting it would be that one. i think attendence of that meeting was down to 50% or so. and at the end i was right!
  • william draper
    william draper
    I believe the 5 FINGER thing began in the 1990s up till at least the year 2000 .
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    No william I was out in the eighties and it was old hat then
  • william draper
    william draper
    That was one heck of a bad marriage I was in , a lot of things going on I wasn't paying attention to .
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember hearing that each boasting session is like one finger on a rope that is supporting you on a climb. You miss a boasting session, that is like letting go with one finger. Seems lame, since usually climbers use a safety harness around their waist along with these ropes.

Not to mention, what if the "fall" is around two centimeters? You let go of the rope, your fall is so short that you probably will not even feel it. Then you find a way to climb, without needing a damn rope--or hook up the safety harness you should have had in the first place. And those boasting session "fingers" are only as secure as the rope. It will do no good if the rope breaks or the support at the top is wimpy.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Someone could write an A-Z book listing WT illustrations, metaphors, similes and analogies

and call it The Unknowable Knowns of the WTBTS and other random bullshit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit