Do you remerber your first shepherding call from the Gestapo

by jam 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

A JW about A year, still trying to get A handle on things, walk

the walk and talk the talk. The wife was moving ahead. One day

the wife and I with her Mom and Dad drove to Mexico for the day.

Her folks not JW but love to play the horses. So while we were their

her father decided he stop by the track and place A few bets.

I have never been to A race track it was new to me. So Iam standing

there with her father while he is looking over the program. He ask

me do you want to place A bet, sure how do you pick the horse,

just pick the name you like. I place A $4.00 bet, two the win and

two to place. That horse is still running (1971) he never cross the

finish line. Moving forward A few weeks, the wife and I got into

argument, something I had done. A few days pass and A elder

call to tell me he and another elder would like to drop by and talk too me.

OK, sure.. The next day they arrive and my wife sitting there with

her arms folded looking stright at me. So Iam thinking what the hell

did I do now. They open with prayer, I knew it was serious then.

They read A few verses, Iam still trying to figure out what the hell

is going on. Then they told me the danger in gambling. I could not

beleive it the wife had spill the beans. I thought, these men took

time out of their busy schedule to come to my home over A $4.00

bet. These people are serious about this religion. I should have

ran then..

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Run and leave your wife behind, if you don't have children! If you have kids, you're screwed.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't even have any words to explain how i feel about that.....poor bugger! Bet that made you feel like the head of your household. Did you feel honoured by your wife???

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Better not plunk down a dollar on Lotto.... it's a sure ticket to Gehenna. Jehovah is very jealous of the God of Good Luck (Isaiah 65:11). The swords come out and the ensuing slaughter happens immediately in verse 12.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Hey Jam,

Did you tell them the $4.00 was just "petty gambling solely for entertainment"- after all their instruction book tells them they should not get involved with that as it is NOT a sin of greed...
    30. Greed-gambling, extortion: (I Cor. 5:10,11; 6:10; 1 Tim. 3:8; it-1 pp. 789, 1005-1006; w891/15 p. 22) Christians should avoid gambling in all its various forms, including lotteries. (Isa. 65:11; g02 7/22 pp. 4-8; w89 7/15 p. 30; g82 7/8 pp. 25-27; g8111/22 p. 27) If a person makes a practice of gambling and after repeated counsel unrepentantly pursues a course of greediness, judicial action would be appropriate.-w80 9/1 pp. 29-30; w67 p. 356.

31. An individual continuing in employment directly involved with gambling or employment making him a clear accomplice or promoter of gambling would be subject to judicial action, usually after being allowed time, perhaps up to six months, to make the needed adjustments. (w95 5/15 p. 23 par. 11; km 9/76 pp. 3-6) In questionable cases it is best to consult with the branch office.

32. If a business gives out prizes or prize money to winners of a con test or to potential customers for advertising, accepting the gift is an individual's decision to make. However, a person needs to be careful that accepting such a prize does not stir up greed. (Rom. 14:21; 1 Cor. 10:31-33; g7S 7/8 p. 28; w73 p. 127) The elders do well not to involve themselves in what individuals do with regard to petty gambling solely for entertainment. They may need to give counsel if this becomes a cause of stumbling for others or affects the spirituality of the individual or the congregation.-w02 11/1 p. 3l.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I think it's a darn shame, when a grown man can't make a move without approval from other grown men

you shouldn't be surprised at these men taking, the lead of your household and your wife from you

hell, they took the lead role from Jesus and you now have to look to the GB ( decrepit old men ) for salvation

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

For me, the shepherding calls were always either about my music or how I wasn't setting a good enough example for those younger than me. I once asked them "Who says I ever wanted to be their example. Can't they just live their own lives?"

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Yes back in 1982 we had our first so called shepherding call. We had just had a baby and at that time my wife had her tubes tied. Having a newborn and also a 5 and 3 year old we missed meeting. The word got out my wife had her tubes tied and two elders came over and told us we had demons in the house because we missed meetings and our field service was low. No help, no understanding just finger pointing. This may sound weird but this was one one the reasons later in life I wanted to become a elder so I could stop idiots like this amd change things. Boy was I wrong. Totally ADD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was an elder and I hated doing these kind of visits. I didn't wear nazi uniform but watchtower brand dress code.

If gambling is wrong then why does the WTB$ have stocks and shares?

See RandCam where they were given shares in this company that develops weapons. Why didn't they refuse? Oh, silly me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

• cantleave
    cantleave

I got a shepherding call once because I said something sarcastic about my group study overseer, at the group before he got there. At the time I was an MS and was the group assistant.

He even provided an agenda with what materials we needed for the call. When he got to the house it was obvious his sole reason for coming was not to upbuild but berate me for taking the piss behind his back. I told him to leave!!!!

Neil Marks of Fareham Congregation you were a w*nker then and you still are

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit