Have you ever felt an earthquake?

by Iamallcool 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Demons and earthquakes were my big fears. So much of the CA lifesstyle appealed to me. When my dad died, my mom wanted to move there. I told her No. Her heart was set on it. She allowed me to be exposed to this craziness. My teachers convinced me there were not increasing earthquakes -- only the ability to monitor them more effectively. I dreaded the entire time we were in CA. It seemed like my personal karma to be there when the big one hit.

Christ, I hated LA but loved San Francisco and Berkeley. So Manhattan but not so.

I loved that I grew up in NJ and NY. Guess who had a pretty high earthquake? Manhattan. The floor rumbled. We were so shocked. Our hills are no longer mountains. Seismologists says they occur fairly frequently. Cyclones do, too. I can't recall a single cyclone but the harbor patrol says they see them all the time.

Acts of God connote that they are man influenced. I'm glad I live in a safe area. The solidity of earth is what I am accustomed to. What might cause a secular Armageddon and doom the earth is when humans purposely build nuclear reactors in an earthquake zone. Indian Point is just north of the city. Right now I live in an evacuation plan for a nuclear reactor. It seems to thumb our nose at God. My law firm made its bread and butter getting nuclear power plants licensed throughout the country. After Three Mile Island, nothing was approved. Here, the evacuation route was planned when it was rural. You would get further on foot during a catastrophe. Friends in FLA say the same thing. I always admired the environmentalists who took the trouble to understand the technology.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Ya..It`s a Weird feeling..

Watching the walls in your house move is something you remember..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• AGuest
    AGuest

Living in Cali since 1964 (peace to you all!), I have felt many quakes, including most of the "big" ones named above (my husband lived in So. Cali at the time and so experienced the Northridge quake there). But... I live less than 3 miles from the Hayward Fault sooooooo... we feel tremors all the time! And no, I don't like them. I have a "fear" of "falling" and that is what it feels like - instability under your feet so that you feel as if you will fall.

But... I LOVE Cali, soooooo... And, given our infrequent "big ones"... versus the plethora of hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, cold snaps, and other "natural disasters" that wreak havoc around the rest of the country, I'll take my chances with earthquakes. My house was built in 1932 and is still standing, so I think we'll be okay.

Again, peace to you all!

SA, on her own...

• donny
    donny

I had never felt any in my first 40 years in Texas, but since relocating to Northern California in 1999, I have felt several small ones, the most recent was on 02/25/11. http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_hubh.html Unlike most of the ones I felt that reminded me of a large truck driving by, this one seemed to be just one quick jolt.

Donny

• JeffT
    JeffT

A bunch of little ones and two pretty good ones. There was about 6.0 in 1965 (I was in 8th grade) and a 7.1 in 2001. The 7.1 was fun - I was in a hundred year old brick building built on landfill. We had a nice ride and some damage.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Earthquakes - are a regular feature of living in Seattle - first one I remember was '49 - we ran outside (not a smart thing to do they say but it's instinct to get out of the building one is in - and that instinct is strong) then we stood huddled together with the next door neighbor as we watched the ground swell like a tidal wave under our feet going from north to south and I happened to look out in the Puget Sound and sure enough there was a huge wave - rolling motion that just kept coming and coming - my fear at that moment was when will the earth open and swallow me up - age 14! We must have rolled for several seconds - up and then back down - and then up - and then back down - seemed like an eternity at the time.

In '65 we had another duzer - but this time I was in the front yard - already outside working on the flower beds - my dog gave it a comic aspect as he ran around to the back of the house barking like crazy to tell whomever it was to quit shaking things up - he never succeeded at finding the source but am sure he thought his barking stint was most effective as it did stop after enough commands from him

Then we had some little ones - in 94 and 95 - the first in 94 I was hanging up clothes when I noticed all six of my kitties sitting around me in a semi circle - had time to think now this is strange behavior - have never seen them do this before - and then it began - swaying, clinking and clanking the lamps, china, glassware, books falling off shelves. We survived. The next in 95 was at the Kingdom Hall - in the Theocratic Service Meeting - people began to run for the door and I found myself barking orders to them to stay put in their seats - really strange behavior for meek mild little me - but even the elders obeyed me. LOL. And that time I really had no fear - maybe I thought we were all safe inside Jehovah's Ark - but I also knew we had telephone and electric wiring poles outside adjacent to the parking lot that could be major danger sources - wooden poles planted in earth topple rather easily and quickly. This one didn't last so long and was milder than those first two I described which were up in the 6 and 7 range as I recall.

Then in 2001 we got a real one - maybe by now I have become ho hum about them because I refused to get excited or try evacuating the store - was shopping for sweet pea seeds with my neighbor and I wasn't about to be deterred from my project. She took hold of my sleeve and pulled me out - I had the seed packet in my hand and kept insisting I had to pay for them - of course there were no clerks at the register - they had already left - shelves of store goods were crashing around us and it finally hit home with me maybe we would be better outside. So I joined the little huddle of people out in the parking lot still clutching my precious seeds - and then remarked there is something wrong with me - I am dizzy - they howled with laughter at me as they informed me the earthquake was still going on - the ground felt like we were standing on a pile of jello pudding - we were in the Puyallup Valley River Basin where the soil is mainly made up of river silt. Has a tendency to reverberate and vibrate to the rumbling. This one was a looong one - seemed like 15 minutes to me but think it was actually only a couple minutes long. And yes I did pay for those seeds but it took me forever to convince the checkout clerk it was safe to return to her spot and take care of me. And my neighbor never quit teasing me about what a numbskull I am -

They say Seattle had a 9.0 on Jan 26th of 1700 whose epicenter was shallow and right under the current sports arena - and that we are due for another in a 300 to 500 year time range. The 300 years time range has expired so it's a bit like waiting for Armageddon.............any day now plus or minus a couple hundred years.

Birkman who has been very successful at predicting earthquakes in the past had some interesting comments on the website extinctionprotocol:2012 and beyond and I've found their free emails of current earthquakes, volcano's, strange happenings in weather, solar flares, massive fish kills, whale beachings, birds dropping out of the sky dead, etc. most fascinating - they don't feed you with a lot of religious garbage like the 2012 feature might indicate but keep it pretty scientific. It's a paradise for any doomsday afficiando.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    But... I LOVE Cali, soooooo... And, given our infrequent "big ones"... versus the plethora of hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, cold snaps, and other "natural disasters" that wreak havoc around the rest of the country, I'll take my chances with earthquakes. My house was built in 1932 and is still standing, so I think we'll be okay.

I know what you mean Shelby. I love Cali too, but my kids live and work not far from you I think, and that is what scares the heck out of me. I had a hard time sleeping last night actually. Sigh.....

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I had a hard time sleeping last night actually. Sigh.....

Why, dear Beks (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!)? I am not completely current on the news right now - has/is something occurred/to occur?

Again, peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I had a hard time sleeping last night actually. Sigh.....

Why, dear Beks (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!)? I am not completely current on the news right now - has/is something occurred/to occur?

Again, peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well, having my children on a fault line makes me worry about quakes, but over the last year or so we've had so many, it's hard not to think about it happening here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit