Have you ever felt an earthquake?

by Iamallcool 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Personally, I have never felt an earthquake in my life.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I live in Southern California. I've felt some real attention-getters. It's very surreal and bit unsettling to feel the ground beneath you suddenly turn into a Tilta-Whirl. I'm quite use to it, however, and conditioned to follow the recommended safety protocols as soon as I feel a quake starting.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

I was born and raised in California the biggest was the World Series quake in the 80's...

• Satanus
    Satanus

In a tremor. It felt like i was on top of hugely thick layer of jello. When the solid earth turns to jello, it makes you think differently about it.

S

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Yes, a 6.5 and the feeling is unmistakable...deep inside your gut. It was over 25 years ago and I still remember distinctly.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I lived in San Fran, and have lived in the Bay area for years. Yes, I have felt many. The last time I felt a substantial one, I was on the cell phone with my mother who lives about 80 miles east. I said Mom we're having an earthquake, and she was screaming stay on the phone with me........................about a minute later she was saying ohhhhh we're having it here!!

Years ago, I was at work in the City at a Deli. I was standing on the counter changing the specials board. I started feeling super dizzy, and then I looked over and you could see the distortion in the big windows in the front of the place. And the Salamis swinging.

• r51785
    r51785

What's really fun is if your driving. It feels like the wheels are falling off your car, so you pull over and get out. By that time the quake is usually done and you've got a all these people looking at their wheels going "What happened?"

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Lama,

I've been in quite a few. I remember one in particular where the asphalt of a parking lot literlly had waves like the ocean in it as the earthquake was occuring. I was standing in that parking lot and could not keep my footing, I had to sit on the asphalt and role with it. Cars were heaving against the buildings they were parked in front of. I noticed an Amtrak train doing about 80 miles per hour (back then they did not have speed limits on trains) and wondered if the conductor even knew what was happening. Later that night, it was on the evening news that the train had derailed.

Spooky days....

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yea Z! I was just sitting down to watch the series and man it started. I grabbed one baby, and my husband grabbed the other. The thing that always freaked me out, was that we had time to go from one doorway to another away from the big window. So scary.

We dragged a table over to the door way and left it there for a few days.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Beks - Swingin' Salamis in Friso, who'da thunk it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit