Where does my DNA go when I die?

by sabastious 41 Replies latest jw friends

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

The information in our brain is not stored in our DNA. The DNA and RNA contain information about our fenotype (the way we look or the color of our eyes). It is yet unknown if we also inherit some of the behavioral features of our ancestors, like alcoholism, smoking, homosexuality, etc. It is yet unknown if our DNA changes during our lifetime and if yes, how substantial are the changes. Anyway, it is impossible to recreate a person (with his memories, emotions and behavior) based only on it's DNA code.

The DNA nucleotides are destructible through natural chemical processes, like digestion - which is the most common. Normally, you can't recreate a pig you ate based on the genetic material in your stool. After our DNA passes through the digestive processes of worms, bateria and fungi, we are sooooo terminated!

Our counciousness, thoughts, feelings and memories are noting more than electrical currents and chemical signals. The chemical substances will be the feast of the worms and the electrial impulses will just cease to exist. Once we die and rot a little, it is impossible to be ressurected. Not even with the most advanced technology.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The DNA nucleotides are destructible through natural chemical processes, like digestion - which is the most common. Normally, you can't recreate a pig you ate based on the genetic material in your stool. After our DNA passes through the digestive processes of worms, bateria and fungi, we are sooooo terminated!

Curious, the Ancient Egyptians were so meticulous with mummifying their dead leaders. Almost like they knew they needed to preserve their remains in order to be reconstructed on the other end.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Once we die and rot a little, it is impossible to be ressurected. Not even with the most advanced technology.

Aww you had to go there didn't you? No way you are in a position to say it's impossible, common. Stop trying to toot your own horn.

-Sab

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Egyptians considered the brain to be superfluous, so it was destroyed in the mummificaton process.

DNA is made up of complex proteins. Decomposition turns complex proteins in to simpler proteins and then....atoms. Do atoms remember where they came from? I doubt it. Sure, you could theoretically construct from all original component parts, but you would need a blueprint copy to put everything back in place from whence it came. It would be simpler to clone a copy of yourself from, say, pith from one of your teeth. That won't duplicate your consciousness, though.

For consciousness, the latest research suggests that the brain is plastic, constantly renewing reinforced connections and repurposing unused parts. For that reason, brain mappings are imprecise, as the brain constantly modifies to make you uniquely you. A concerrt pianist, for instance, will have highly developed brain real-estate for coordination, that you won't have developed. For some mind-blowing reads, might I suggest "The Mind & The Brain" by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, and "The Language Instinct" by Stephen Pinker. Read what you can on Neuroeconomics. My new view is that the mind/consciousness (not brain) is a constantly renewing quantum wave.

http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/598

It's a myth that the brain is only partially used.

Removed from it's biological host, where can the quantum consciousness go? I'm thinking it must disperse in to chaos.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Removed from it's biological host, where can the quantum consciousness go? I'm thinking it must disperse in to chaos.

Hmmm, thanks for the post I will look into those books.

-Sab

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's stored in the great cosmic forensic data base for reasons we don't know

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

To DNA heaven (but only if you've been a good boy).

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Sebastious, you can bash your a....s into the ground as much as you like: what is dead and rotten stays dead and continues to rot. Until proven the contrary, my point stands. Every other speculation should be posted on Sci-Fi forums. I mean, yea, in a few billion years, when Homo Sapiens will have evolved into a being made of photons and exotic matter, when we will be able to walk on the surface of the stars and pass unharmed beyond the event horizont of black holes, then will will never die and never rot. Does this answer seem more satisfactory to your taste?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

uh... fyi.. a Jehovahs-witness.net forum is a sci-fi forum

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sebastious, you can bash your a....s into the ground as much as you like: what is dead and rotten stays dead and continues to rot. Until proven the contrary, my point stands. Every other speculation should be posted on Sci-Fi forums. I mean, yea, in a few billion years, when Homo Sapiens will have evolved into a being made of photons and exotic matter, when we will be able to walk on the surface of the stars and pass unharmed beyond the event horizont of black holes, then will will never die and never rot. Does this answer seem more satisfactory to your taste?

I don't know if you have looked around you lately, but this planet's inhabitants are going through issues we have never faced before. What I am doing is searching for a logical fail safe that I can be hopeful of. I'm not interested in reaching out to delusional ideas (otherwise I would have stayed a Witness), but if there is a feasible explanation that when I die I might wake up I'm on it like flies on cupcakes.

The fact is, you do get a little ego boost for "setting me straight" about what is possible and what is not, but you lose logic in the process. It's perfectly logical to say that we cannot bring back the dead with our science position in history, but it's totally illogical to say it's impossible across the board. It's unimaginative and unhelpful and is not based in logic and reason. Billions of years have already passed for this planet and billions maybe trillions of years are left.

Two years ago I lost out on eternal life in paradise. Not because I'll be on the outside looking in, but because I was conditioned to believe their fanciful story and eventually came to the realization that Santa Clause wasn't ever going to come down the chimney.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit