Japan Crisis Overblown?

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

I have been annoyed over the last few days with news sources that take a pea size grain of truth and wrap it up into a football sized speculation. As Metatron said "if it bleeds it leads"

Actually you are right. I am a sort of health info nut, and read all the latest. With a grain of salt (not too much of course, that sodium is a killer), so much of it is conflicting. There was an article in Time or Newsweek about a year ago, about this very thing. One big problem is access to information. We are on a 24/7 info cycle, and so we get news on say, heart health studies before it has even been compiled. That must carry out to all other forms of information too. We hear it as it is being gathered and interpreted.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Glenn Beck! ...... Errr yes that was what I was thinking.....

My Avatar.......Had it since I joined in 2003 As I recall he was a member of a royal court (english ? ) Name ???

That is an old ruffed collar around the neck. I picked it because I thought it kind of looked like me.

I am sure I don't look like that anymore... Time marches on LOL

• beksbks
    beksbks

I was thinking the artist might be.................someone. Hehe

• VM44
    VM44

Could it be that the power company that ran the reactors did not follow proper procedures in maintaining and running the nuclear system, and that is the reason things are so bad now?

It would explain why information is not forthcoming.

• freetosee
    freetosee

VM44 - well, according to this they did not listen much to the given warnings..

Nuclear Agency Warned Japanese 2 Years Ago, WikiLeaks Claims

The International Atomic Energy Agency warned the Japanese two years ago that strong earthquakes would pose a “serious problem” for its nuclear power plants. In addition, the plant’s safety rules were out of date, an agency official said in December 2008, The Daily Telegraph in London reported.

The information was revealed in a U.S. embassy cable obtained and released on the WikiLeaks website. The cable noted that guidelines on how to protect the plants from earthquakes had only been updated three times in 35 years, the paper said.

One cable noted that an expert had said "recent earthquakes in some cases have exceeded the design basis for some nuclear plants, and that this is a serious problem that is now driving seismic safety work." Another disclosed that a member of Japan’s lower house had told diplomats in 2008 that the government was “covering up nuclear accidents, and obscuring the true costs and problems associated with the nuclear industry,” the Daily Telegraph reported.

The cables also reveal that the Japanese government fought a court order to shut down a nuclear power plant over earthquake concerns. The plant was built to withstand a 6.5 earthquake. Friday’s earthquake was a magnitude 9.0, the paper said.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Nuclear Agency Warned Japanese 2 Years Ago, WikiLeaks Claims

• villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit