May 22, 1969 Awake! promises "you will never grow old" - Creative Writing

by Mad Sweeney 78 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

SO true longhair. So many dont realize that the cautions, warnings, and admonitions are almost Identical to the ones being issued since the Orgs inception. JWs must have the record for the longest lived doomsday religion. I like reading an article to my wife from the 50s, or 60s about how time is short, last of the last days etc and then asking her what year does she think that it was printed in. She usually says some thing recent like 2008 or 2009. When I tell her 1961 or something she just gets quiet and It makes her think.. About exactly what I do not know. But I do know it gets the wheels turning that what they print now as far as time left in the system etc is identical, no matter how far back you go. They have always used the worlds imminent destruction as their primary motivator.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Great story with a perfect ending. The saddest thing about it all is, we all know many individuals that followed this advice. Some of these sincere kind brothers & sisters could have become great doctors, teachers, nurses, social workers etc. Many had specific leanings towards a certain field of learning or were natural students. I used to look around at the DC's & in the congregation at people in this age group. So many were still struggling financially and were physically worn out from their jobs. The look on their faces revealed the true feelings about the decisions they made decades earlier. How very sad!!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Thank you for the bump. I will read more than the OP tomorrow.

I personally placed those magazines. At the time, and for the next 40 years, I was a believing, naive, innocent drone. Not any more.

LoisLane

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Bumpin' it in reference to this week's WT foolishness.

g1969 5/22

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

this should be shown to loved ones and ask...."was this irresponsible?" and ask "how do you know anything has changed, is it irresponsible that they are saying it now too?"

• compound complex
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ Mad Sweeney

Andrew is now 3 years older. Is he still working on floors? What's about his back and his shoulders?

Please continue the story, while Andrew is sitting next weekend in the watch-study and will here the § 2:

The value of such a discussion is best appreciated when we acknowledge that trials that come with age cannot be avoided.
    Still, we can make certain preparations and advance decisions.

Will he sit still, when this § will be read - 45 years after the 1969 Awake telling him, he will not grow old?

• VM44
    VM44

The writer who wrote this 1969 article is probably not even alive now.

If he is alive then I doubt that he cares very much about what he wrote 45 years ago.

• Splash
    Splash

Coincidentally, the last WT (March 2014) studied at the meetings was all about how grateful we should be to have older ones in the congregations, and how you have a responsibility to care and provide for them.

Of course, the primary repsonsibility lies with the family of an older one - we wouldn't want congregation funds being used for such a thing now would we!

When it describes the help the congregation can give it says that for those "who qualify" and are "exemplary", a "temporary arrangement" can be set up to help the older ones to "benefit from government and social programs", and notify their children of any need (if the children live some distance away).

"Some Christians may volunteer their time and energy" if they choose to do so, again removing any responsibility from the congregation itself or the elders to part with any cash.
    You can also help the older ones with "strengthening words" and laughing about things instead of getting depressed. Don't they say that words come cheap?

The counsel to the older ones is to not be demanding but to have a happy disposition.

I don't think the WT thought they would ever have to write an article about how to care for the faithful, exemplary older ones in the congregation, when 45 years ago they were telling everyone that they would never grow old at all!

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit