Missing Meetings is OK??

by aniron 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aniron
    aniron

Talking with a friend, yesterday.

He said asked if the JWs attitude had changed on attending meetings.

It seems that while browsing the internet on his phone.

He came across a website that said, "that missing meetings was not wrong , as Jehovah knows whats in your heart."

He couldn't remember the websites title, just that it had "Watchtower" in the address.

Has anyone else come across this?

I find it odd that the Watchtower would say such a thing, considering the way they are are the moment.

Seemingly more strict on meeting attendance.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

bookmarking this topic.

• alanv
    alanv

They would never say that officially. It was probably someone that goes on the internet regularly, with much of their own ideas, rather than the societies.

• wobble
    wobble

Despite the WT always harping on about how important, nay, VITAL, the meetings were, we always had at least 25% of the active Dubs absent from any one meeting.

I bet it is worse (better?) now, I cannot think that the Soc. would ever ease off from urging attendance, the more one is away, the weaker the mind-control becomes, they know that, and they need to control your mind so you send in the $$$ and the £££ !

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

It was probabably this website... let me tell everybody ...... Missing Meetings is Ok!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

It is as long as you are elderly and approved by the elder body. They even provide a complicated phone hook up system so certian ones never have to roll out of bed. Now I understand if someone is a legitimate invalid or bedridden, but I always laugh when I see certian old sisters who always have to tie in because of infirmity, but miracously make it out to every social gathering and BBQ.

PRAISE HIS NAME.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Missing Meetings is OK??

Only if you're dead.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I can't say that I'm missing them.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

It is as long as you are elderly and approved by the elder body. They even provide a complicated phone hook up system so certian ones never have to roll out of bed. Now I understand if someone is a legitimate invalid or bedridden, but I always laugh when I see certian old sisters who always have to tie in because of infirmity, but miracously make it out to every social gathering and BBQ.

PRAISE HIS NAME.

This always made me laugh to myself. I knew one old lady who tied in regularly via the phone system, but occasionally you'd catch her changing the oil for her car. Or she'd be shopping at Wal-Mart. Another middle aged sister I know is extremely obese. She hasn't been out in service for years and she's late for every meeting. Yet let there be a social gathereing, she'll have a share in planning it, and will present for the entire affair.

The phone tie in system is an interesting thing in itself. If I'm not mistaken, the branches sent out letters to elder bodies for direction on use of the phone system because of so called abuse. They know people don't want to go to the meeting for whatever reason, or simply don't feel like going to the meeting. Heck, I'm young and healthy, and I don't want to be there. If they eliminated the mid week meeting for whatever reason, it would be a beautiful thing, and I guarantee The Friends wouldn't miss it. The phone system we have, has unique numerical passwords that only the sound assistant, and some of the elders know. So if someone deemed healthy decides to stay home, and then they call the hall to "be hooked up", the brothers will decline giving them code used to log in. Its all rather hilarious to me.

Some of the older friends who regularly atttend the meeting, will express displeasure with the others who stay home and listen on the phone. You'd think that as old as they were, they wouldn't be concerned with what other older people are doing. I guess being nebby and a busybody is what keeps them going.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

so true, Miz. There is one old sister at my hall who told some people I know that she is really thankful for the blessing of the phone hookup because she "isn't a morning person." No lie, man. And this doesn't even raise an eyebrow with the elders. Yet, every meeting they just gush on and on about our dear infirmed ones on the phone tie-in. A joke is what it is.

Yet let there be a social gathereing, she'll have a share in planning it, and will present for the entire affair.

HAHAHA yes!!! I remember this old fat sister when I was little who was supposidly a bedridden invalid. Yet every year when we had our corny "congregation picnic" she would be all working the huge BBQ grill, laughing it up and wolfing down potato salad. Every. Damn. Year. We'd be like "Mom, who is that?" "oh she's sister so-n-so, she's a shut-in" "she don't look shut-in to me".......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit