The God Delusion - online documentary films - Parts 1 & 2

by Nickolas 45 Replies latest jw friends

• superpunk
    superpunk

I have a way easier explanation for the Trinity that doesn't involve any complicated equation wherein we have to figure out whether Jesus is Ice/Liquid/Gas in the Trinity formula. PM me for details.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

SP, the Trinity doesn't need to be explained, though we do liek debating it,it seems :)

You either agree with the doctrine or not, no biggie.

• superpunk
    superpunk

the Trinity doesn't need to be explained

Tell that to all the people who ask for an explanation. Oh right it's a "mystery", our lowly brains can't comprehend the relationship of the distinct but united father-son-ghost relationship.

• tec
    tec
    Ice/Liquid/Gas in the Trinity formula

This is the one that was used in the movie, Religulous. It was good enough to give Mayer pause... for however brief a moment.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Tell that to all the people who ask for an explanation. Oh right it's a "mystery", our lowly brains can't comprehend the relationship of the distinct but united father-son-ghost relationship

If you don't have any preconceived notions then the trinity, whether you agree or not, is easily understood.

There are many ways to relate to it.

Have you read Mere Christianity?

• tec
    tec

I read Mere Christianity, and I didn't like it at all. Mind you, I read it immediately after ending my study with witnesses (a gift from my sister who was trying to make me feel better), so I could not have given it an unbiased read considering the trinity and hell teaching.

One thing I remember (that stayed away from doctrines, so I think I read it without bias) was that Lewis thought if you taught people (kids and adults) to do good deeds, regardless of how they felt about others, then the good deeds would eventually put love and peace in your heart. I always thought that was kind of backward. Concentrate on teaching our kids (and adults) love, and the good deeds, etc, will come naturally. I always thought his opinion on this seemed to be the opposite of cleaning the inside of the cup, so that the outside will also be clean.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I read Mere Christianity, and I didn't like it at all. Mind you, I read it immediately after ending my study with witnesses (a gift from my sister who was trying to make me feel better), so I could not have given it an unbiased read considering the trinity and hell teaching.

It'salmost impossible to read anything without preconceived notions and while I don't agree with Lewis's views on all things ( they are afterall hisjust his views), he does put standard christian doctrines in a basic and understandable way for most, it is a good place to start when you are trying to understand christianity.

One thing I remember (that stayed away from doctrines, so I think I read it without bias) was that Lewis thought if you taught people (kids and adults) to do good deeds, regardless of how they felt about others, then the good deeds would eventually put love and peace in your heart. I always thought that was kind of backward. Concentrate on teaching our kids (and adults) love, and the good deeds, etc, will come naturally. I always thought his opinion on this seemed to be the opposite of cleaning the inside of the cup, so that the outside will also be clean.
    Tammy

I think that we forget that Grace is that unconditional gift of Love that God gives us and we are jutfifed by it and by our love, HOWEVER, itis our actions that show our righteousness.

Paul and James were not opposed to each other, they just wrote about two different things:

Justification ( faith alone)

Righteousness ( good works with good intentions)

• superpunk
    superpunk

If you don't have any preconceived notions then the trinity, whether you agree or not, is easily understood.

It'salmost impossible to read anything without preconceived notions

DAMN!

Have you read Mere Christianity?

No.

I did read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, though...not sure if that translates over or not.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Surely truth doesn't need ever so sophisticated apology. If there was the god of the bible then, just like say sunshine, a child could explain it by reference to concrete examples. Sophistry is a refuge for beleagured religionists where word play trumps common sense. I'm sorry tec - but you are just the same - you skiddadle around the questions as though you have a better insight. No, you're as nuts as everyone else who believes in magic and lives their life worshipping voices in their head. Done that been there should have got a straight jacket.

Let us be very clear, Jesus in sandals frollicking around with baby sheep and singing children while magicing food and money from fish guts is not real nor is it authentic - it is a modern westernised overlay onto the revolutionary christ myth that after all ends in Revelations with everyone dying except the floaty people; and don't forget god's favourite passtime, war - led by harvesting angels. There is no fluffy Jesus.

wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Watched Religulous last night. Awesome. Was so ashamed I fell for so obvious a lie that I almost quit my kooky LDS membership there and then . Only midnight's proximity stopped me from making the call.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    No.
    I did read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, though...not sure if that translates over or not.

Its a good read, but to be honest, the lion the witch and the wardrobe series is better.

More action ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit