The God Delusion - online documentary films - Parts 1 & 2

by Nickolas 45 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

OTWO - I didn't agree with everything that guy had to say, but I did like the things he had to say on how doctrines turned faith in Christ into a religion. So that now a person has to study and learn and accept creeds/doctrines, etc, (most of the time) to be baptized as a Christian. I particularly enjoyed what he had to say regarding the trinity/Jesus is God vs. Jesus is not God. It takes nothing away from Christ's sacrifice if we do not believe that He is God. Nothing at all, and we still look to Him in order to see the Father. So not accepting that Jesus is God does not lessen love or gratitude or the ability to see both Father and Son. In some ways, I've begun to think that merging Jesus into God takes away Christ as our mediator, and so we have religions rising up to be that mediator instead.

But accepting or not accepting that doctrine really should do nothing to change the way we act toward others. Because both of us should still be looking to Christ as an example to follow, and as the image of God.

Nick - I'm going to get to the videos you posted, hopefully today, so I can comment. I have been working a lot lately, and haven't had much time.

I have seen Religulous though. I didn't mind it. I thought Mayer was honest in how he felt throughout it (except when comparing Jesus to other god-men myths, since those have been debunked, and his producers should have known - he also should have known if his purpose is to reveal falsehoods, but I digress). I loved the truck drivers and Mayer seemed respectful of them if not in agreement with them; I felt bad for the shop owner and thought Mayer 'hit' him too hard, since the man seemed shaken up and vulnerable. But all in all, Mayer was respectful in his disagreement.

Tammy

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I just finished watching both of these episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I especially enjoyed the quote by Steven Weinberg "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil: but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And how many of you will be watching or reading any of the rebukes to Dawkins views?

Just curious.

I especially enjoyed the quote by Steven Weinberg "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil: but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

Really? wow, that's facinating, I am sure the people that were slaughtered by Mao and so many other non-religious people feel better about it now that they know that the people that commited genocide were not "good people turned by by religion".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Tammy,

The issue is is not that Christ is God (the father, lets call him YHWH to avoid confusion), no trinitarian religion believes that Jesus is YHWH.

Jesus is God in nature, begotten not created and if you believe that Jesus is begotten and not created then Jesus is God.

Just as a human begets another human and yet both are different personalities, YHWH begot Jesus, making Jesus God but not making him God that Father who is YHWH.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Really? wow, that's facinating, I am sure the people that were slaughtered by Mao and so many other non-religious people feel better about it now that they know that the people that commited genocide were not "good people turned by by religion".

Somehow you missed the entire point of the quote.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Somehow you missed the entire point of the quote.

Really?

That is a possiblity, but I assume the point of that quote was to insinuate that it takes religion to make good people do bad things, right?

If that was not the point of the quote I apologise for my snide remark.

Actually, looking back at my post, I aplogise anyway, it was uncalled for.

Sorry.

• tec
    tec

I watched the first one on the second link - the virus one? - and so I can comment on that one now :)

It wasn't bad. I was concerned at first that he wasn't going to give moderate/liberal Christians a voice at all, but he did toward the end. It would be nice if he also, one day, spoke to some who have faith but not religion.

So:

1) He had a good point about sectarianism, and I don't even disagree. Most likely a child who is isolated from any other view is going to keep the view that they were raised in. Separating people isn't helping people to be accepting/respecting/loving one another - unless - that is also covered as important in sectarian schools. I also think children should be allowed to hear other world views and think for themselves, although they will be influenced perhaps most by what their parents believe (some to keep that belief/others to purposely believe something opposite).

2)When he spoke to the Christian teacher at the ACE (accelerated christian education) program, I thought both men had good points. The teacher brought up a good point about having been taught as a child in science class that the moon came from the earth. That it shot out of the earth. So that is science that is no longer valid, but was taught as fact. So how much are we taught now that is false as well.

Then Dawkins had a good point about the kids being taught that aids was a consequence of 'immorality'. The teacher dodged that question and switched to another topic... which I have to assume meant that he KNEW that this teaching was not on the up and up.

3) Those hell house things are appalling. You cannot teach someone to love through fear. You can just teach them to toe the line and live in fear, imo.

4) The random guy who thought adultery should still be punishable by death (thinking that this was not negated by the NT), obviously has never read that Christ said adultery is grounds for divorce, not death. Or that mercy and forgiveness are more important than sacrifice and punishment. Or at least he didn't understand what he read.

5) I quite enjoyed listening to the liberal Christian speaking. I agree with the little bit he said that got a spot. Dawkins seemed to like him, but did wonder how liberal Christians 'cherry pick'. He never asked the pastor, though. My answer is Christ. If Christ didn't do it or live it or teach it (especially if he taught the opposite), then I don't believe it is more than something man decided, or we misunderstand the context or cultural climate.

6) He did speak about evolution of morality, and I do understand and believe that society can change their views on issues according to what benefits them best as a species/culture. I am not convinced about the visual evidence for us being more moral than those who lived four thousand years ago, though. Over different views on issues, yes; such as homosexuality. That is not necessarily an evolution of morality though, but more of an improved understanding.

But people still tend to feel the same about deeper issues. We tend to give only what we can afford to maintain our chosen lifestyle (if we give at all), even if that means some people starve to death. We still think of our rights being more important than someone else's in another country or culture. There are no more or less people now than there were thousands of years ago (relatively speaking), who are willing to sacrifice themselves for others, or even for their own ideals. When push comes to shove, the same amount of people will still change an ideal to save their skin, and turn away before stepping in to sacrifice their lives or things for someone else.

So those are my thoughts. Doubt I'll get to the other one today, but perhaps.

Tammy

• tec
    tec
    The issue is is not that Christ is God (the father, lets call him YHWH to avoid confusion), no trinitarian religion believes that Jesus is YHWH.

Yeah, I thought that too. But Perry says that Jesus is YHWH (I don't know what religion he is, or if he is misrepresenting it), and I think Vander agreed with him; and even Burns said it once according to catholic belief - specifically disputing something you said as the above. None of them said Jesus is God. They specifically said Jesus is YHWH/Jehovah.

So now I don't know anymore. But there are at least some who hold that thought and belief.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Tammy, you should see the debate between Richard and Alastir McGrath, it is a very good one with both men making good points.

Its on youtube.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Yeah, I thought that too. But Perry says that Jesus is YHWH (I don't know what religion he is, or if he is misrepresenting it), and I think Vander agreed with him; and even Burns said it once according to catholic belief - specifically disputing something you said as the above. None of them said Jesus is God. They specifically said Jesus is YHWH/Jehovah.
    So now I don't know anymore. But there are at least some who hold that thought and belief.

While the Trinity is and has been debated for centuries and while I don't personally feel there is a need for the Trinity doctrine, one of the best explanations I read was in CS Lewis's Mere Christianitym which I feel is a must for anyone who thinks they know christianity, should read.

As you know I am not a trinitarian, but I do believe that Jesus is of the same nature as God, that Jesus is divine and that he is God ( the term God referring to the nature of God since God has a personal name, YHWH) as Paul says so eloquently in Philipians:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God

And Colossians:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in h him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He himself is before all things, and in i him all things hold together.

and of course in the GOJ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit