Another New Guy

by MartynAndrew 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• MartynAndrew
    MartynAndrew

Hi All,

I didn't want to read to much before putting up my story. I'd like to thank all of you. Some time in the late 80's I heard from my parents that my brother now a JW. My family had been through some ups and downs so it wasn't that big a suprise. The next couple of times I saw him he gave me literature. I did a bit of research, but I didn't find out much, not much was around like today. JW's were mentioned in a few books about cults...Anyway, I'd been using a lot of drugs and alcohol and my life was out of control and I was looking to slow things down. I moved from Toronto to Missisauga, right into the heart of my brother congregation. I did not plan it that way but that is what happened. People started to visit I started a bible study... I was baptised July 21 1990 at the convention.

I guess I like the attention(love bombing) and the social life, and for me it sort of felt like a family. I think I have a certain look that the elders liked I seemed to get away with murder and was not counselled. I like the attention from the sisters and I liked the change of life style from what I had been doing. I didn't believe everything that I heard by I played along and never really questioned it openly. I shared houses with a few different brothers and changed jobs a few times, I did a little auxillary pioneering which I didn't even come close to the hours, I think 45, I did about 10. We had a few guys from Canada Bethel at the hall and I got to hang out with a few of them, very impressive;). I went to work a couple of times on constructing some new facilities, what a privlage! At one point I dated an sister from an Italian cong, and when I stopped seing her I got called in. They had complained that I did not act christian or something and they expected me to marry her. I didn't not really understand all the dynamics, but I moved on. Once it became apparent that I wasn't going to be the next best thing, people sort like everyone else or what ever and I tired of the whole thing.

I did meet some people and it had it's moments. Because I didn't grow up in it, I didn't suffer like some young people, I was about 23 when I first got involved and moved on about 2 years with the fade technique as you call it. My brother had started to doubt, when he didn't get into Bethel and I had nothing keeping me there. I was developing the forearm of a tennis pro from all the sex and had to leave. I had a worldly girl friend when I came in and she stayed for a brief while, our little story made it onto the stage one year in Georgetown Assembly. My only real regrets and wasting the time and pushing the crap on family and friends. Thankfully none of them bit so I didn't do too much damage.

Thanks again for being here, I've been carrying this around for years and never spoke a word to anyone. I often wonder where the others are, and what ever happened to so and so. I still have my leather bible, I guess it's the only thing I have from those wasted years.

Regards,

Marty

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Martyn,

Welcome! The reply box wasn't showing up earlier so I sent you a pm. Click the envelope button at the top right corner of the screen. Glad to have you here!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome Martyn. While I hate hearing how you wasted some time, I am happy it really isn't part of your life now.

• wasblind
    wasblind

WELCOME

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Heartiest welcome. It's a great place to heal. Or share. Or just listen. Welcome.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Marty,,glad you didn't have to grow up in the organization from your youth. It's great you saw not in too much time that it all just wasn't going to work out for you in reality. Is your brother out altogether now? Though you were able to move on relatively easily, it will still be good for you to read books like Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz, and other books that fellow posters here will recommend. It is important to read thoroughly when leaving the WTS to ensure there is no residual control thoughts of the WTS still lingering in the mind. Some have stopped associating, yet had lingering controls from the WTS still stuck in their head. Best wishes to you and your family.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• Listener
    Listener

Welcome Marty. I gather your brother left also. Do you think it was a waste of time or did it help you get over some of your drug and alcohol problems? You were probably at a ripe age to consider making changes in your life and they just happened to be there with some good guidance.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Welcome buddy! keep on the sex!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit