Im trully beside myself..

by Searchn4answrs 33 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Keep a record of all breaches of the legally binding agreement. (Don't tell the children but) Record, maybe in a diary with dates etc, comments from the children about their fears on access, or any bizarre religous requirements that the courts may frown upon, e.g. forcing children door to door in inclement weather, or dangerous situations (you mentioned a pedo).

But most importantly, be consistent with your children. Give them a person they can trust who loves them without conditions, who clearly has their best interest at heart. If you do so, they will stick to you like glue and sadly for the birth father, unless he radically changes, will learn to despise him and his religion.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In addition to all the advice given, including mine, get a real lawyer, not a student.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I feel for you. While I don't have any specific advice on what to do legally or otherwise to stop this, I do recommend you get a good cellphone for your son to keep him able to call you in a jam.

• nugget
    nugget

I really feel for your children this is unfair on them and a real mess. If he has remarried and starts a new family he will sadly be less interested in his existing children and will be less likely to want to visit at all.

I would suggest that you insist that he always confirms that he will pick them up the day he is due to collect them. I would document everything and keep all emails and I would get a new lawyer who is hard as nails and not likely to be intimidated. It needs to be sorted and if he fails to keep arrangements you need to go to court and get it resolved. The children deserve better, your ex has moved on with his life but has trapped you and the children leaving you to pander to his whims. Make it hard for him and he will give up he already treats his children as accessories and if he associates with a sex offender and is casual about who he leaves the children with then they are unsafe.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ummmmm....

• jgnat
    jgnat

That whole first paragraph is a parent's frustrated cry. I've commisserated with dozens of single parents in similar situations over the years. The judge has asked you two to try communication first. It's a lot cheaper than the legal route. Continue to diarize his failures if it ever does come to court.

You may never get complete custody of your children. I suggest, besides the legal options, to flesh out your "Plan B" where your XH will continue to be involved (unreliably and marginally) in your children's lives.

• Set up exchanges so your children are not dependent on dad showing up.
    • Continue therapy to help the children decompress and come to an understanding on what is going on.

Concentrate on what is in your control and do your best to let the rest slide. Children are smarter than we think and come up with remarkable coping mechanisms. Some children, even in highly toxic environments, survive and thrive by hanging on to a single positive role model. Be that role model for your children.

I rode bus for over ten years with a woman who (unjustly) lost custody of her children through lies and deceit by her ex. Almost a dozen years later, she finally achieved full custody. But at what cost? The oldest were already in their late teens. Her only subject of conversation for a dozen years was all the injustices her ex had heaped on her. In my mind's eye I can see that woman and her ex in front of the judge, accusing and counter-accusing in an endless battle. I had to pull her back to ask how the children were handling it? What price did their children pay? Their entire childhood was consumed by a toxic tug of war. No matter what your ex's faults are, making uneasy peace is better.

My ex is an abusive schizophrenic and drug user. I was given custody and I was to grant visitation at my discretion. I chose to use his paranoid delusions to my advantage and decided I would not set up visitation until he asked. He never asked. At the same time, I told my children if they ever wanted to meet their father, I would arrange it. They never asked. When my son was an adult, he arranged a visit on his own and sees his dad regularly to his day. Not always to his benefit.

I point these two stories out to demonstrate how very, very difficult it is to achieve sole custody with no visitation. Trust your knowlege of your XH's unreliability. Trust me, as the children get older and more high-maintenance, he won't keep up the sham. He'll be happy to dump the responsibility on you. Your job is to help your children see that his behavior is not a rejection of them, but more a reflection of who he is.

• Searchn4answrs
    Searchn4answrs

The only thing I would say to any of this is-

why did you trust this guy to pick up your children at school? You then leave town. I can't imagine with his history as you describe that you would not have been sitting at the school waiting for him to show up and making sure your children were OK. The kids must have been terrified.

You are correct this isn't the first time he has failed at a pick up.. He was advised multiple times of this pick up. He had seemed to take a little more intrest in the children in the weeks leading up to this.. For example, requesting them to attend his wedding on an unscheduled weekend. Including them in an out of town trip. I was assuming the new wife was having a positive impact. Although,I always hope he is protective and sincere with his children. I constantly doubt his character. Therefore,we were not unprepared for this situation. We practiced this scenario over and over... They wer'nt exactly terrified ,but very dissapointed. Needless to say , the neighbors were shocked that a witness would carry on like this..

This out of town training had been planned ,since The New Year.. Again sveral times I made him aware of these dates .Fax,Email and Text. And ultimately,this incident will not reflect well in court.

• flipper
    flipper

SEARCHN4ANSWERS- Your JW husband sounds like a clone of my JW ex-wife and what she tried pulling on me regarding our teenagers visitation after our divorce in 1998. You have a legal right to visit your minor children half time - no matter WHAT your ex-husband says, does, or thinks. I was DFed from 1998 to 2002 and my JW wife tried interferring and preventing my minor children from visiting me. I got a court mediator to meet with my ex-wife and me and we got a 50 % visitation schedule worked out legally through a neutral court appointed mediator. I don't know which State you live in - but I would advise you to insist and fight for your rights to see your children. The law is behind you as a parent . Not a mind controlled WT society which encourages break ups of family due to religious differences. I wish you the best for you & your children

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

No matter what you have to do, get a real lawyer. I'm wondering if custody wasn't discussed at the last hearing, because your advisor didn't bring it up. Aside from keeping detailed notes on your ex's no shows and refusal to communicate, make a big deal of his convicted sex offender friend. Hopefully the judge will order your ex to assure that no contact with him will be made. If your children's therapist hasn't already given any input during the proceedings, I would ask him or her to do so. It is also especially important that you ask the therapist to discuss with the children the upset they experience when their father talks badly about you.

• Ding
    Ding

Get a lawyer if you can afford one.

Document everything.

If nothing else works, consider telling your ex that his conduct is bringing reproach on the name of Jehovah and that he's leaving you no choice but to go to his elders about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit