Some man's come he's trying to run my life, don't know what he's asking
    When he tells me I better get in line, can't hear what he's saying
    When I grow up, I'm gonna make him mine, these ain't dues I been paying

How much does it cost?
    I'll buy it!
    The time is all we've lost
    I'll try it!
    He can't even run his own life,
    I'll be damned if he'll run mine--sunshine...

• elderelite
    elderelite

@shepherd please read what i wrote... "not a lazey selfish princess, but a princess just the same"

It speaks for itself

• d
    d

Sorry to hear that.I hope you can still have somewhat of a relationship with your father.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

What is it with non active/DF'd people who think they have the right to play god in your life? Yeah I know someone like that. If you don't do as that person says then you are dead to them. Such a hypocrite. People like that drive me crazy.

NLW's wife

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion. Your father is jealous of your boyfriend.

• Gayle
    Gayle

It's one thing listening to a person who may be very sincere and a very respectful, yet otherwise humble caring person but quite another emotion comes up if it is a person preaching "to do as I say and not as I do." It's the audacity/arrogance of the person that brings it way up over the top, way too much. It's insulting to one's basic intelligence.

Your dad just needs to preach to himself, period. He himself is apparantly more than he can handle. If he tries to 'preach' to you just hold up a mirror to him for his reflection. Just kidding, kind a.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, Gayle, that's a brilliant idea! Might use that one myself.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Just because someone is not a baptised, preaching, SuperDub doesn't mean they are not affected by the teachings of the cult.

I know people who have only had a few Bible studies decades ago who are still not free from WT killer gods and armageddon.

I just wish that one of the many people who recognised that my problems were caused by the WT had the skills to get me thinking. I wasn't stupid. I just wasn't associating with anybody who knew how to get me to confront my cognitive dissonance. I had plenty for them to work on. I believe most born-in cult children have.

Chris

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Excellent words, Black Sheep.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Unfortunately your dad is still under cult mind control. He probably feels very guilty for being df'd and not being able to live up to the impossible, unneccessary and unreasonable standards of the Watchtower. And he probably felt relieved when you were a jw, because he thinks that's the way to go. Then he visits and sees that you have a life with a "worldly" man and comes unhinged.

His comment about him being the one to say, "I told you so," is sign of someone who has no idea how to parent. Once you understand his motivations, as screwed up as they are, you'll be able to better deal with him in the future. There's nothing wrong with standing your ground, but you'll feel better if you're able to do it without cursing him out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit