Young people, you can die if you do not progress in the truth and become baptized.

by garyneal 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

This is what the guest speaker was saying at my wife's hall yesterday. She and I was babysitting our niece and since she had three kids going to the hall with her (including my two daughters) I figured I'd go with her to help out. They were rambuctious and wild to say the least.

While I was in the hallway with my youngest daughter, I continued to listen to the speaker talk. He went on and on about who will make it to this new system and who would die. Needless to say, he pointed out to the young ones that they could die if they are not found in good standing. Personally, I always thought the Bible taught that young people, especially children, were not held accountable for their sins. He certainly preached a works based salvation requirement. I remember commenting to myself, "No wonder these people are depressed."

On a funny note, he also stated that Abel would be in the new system but Cain would not because of what he did. I remember asking under my breath, "I wonder if the people of Sodom and Gomorrah would make it?"

• nugget
    nugget

I seem to remember a bit of vacilating on the topic of Sodom and Gomorah. It was felt that because they had been judged by God there would be no resurrection for them.

It seems they are trying to get people to commit early as a means of stemming the tide of people leaving. It is truly shocking that they put pressure on the young in this way.

• tec
    tec

Their opinion on who will 'make it' and who will not make it constantly changes... because they DON'T KNOW. There is no special insight, or their opinion on these things would not change. Nor would they feel the need to hide from outsiders and studies that they think everyone who is not a jw in good standing (works based) is going to die and not receive a resurrection. Because the truth should not have to be hidden. It should be shouted out from the rooftops, right?

The woman who used to come along during my study once said regarding children... 'If we get them by age eight or nine, then we've got them!' That statement sent off all sorts of warning bells in my head, which I unfortunately set aside for a little while longer.

Tammy

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

That is the pressure they put on kids to get baptised.

I was told repeatedly that I was getting to old to ride into the new system on my parents coattails, and I must make my own dedication or I would die at armegeddon.

Hey kids, Get baptised or die!.......................no pressure, the choice is yours!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Sick religion. Sick...

Scare the kids into the cult! Great tactic.

• dgp
    dgp

I understand that the Catholic Church used to consider seven year olds capable of being held accountable by God. You can say that this is too young, and I would agree, but it is also true that you would need to draw the line at some point. They did it at seven; I'm not sure if that is still the age. The relevant difference here, of course, being that according to JW folklore even babies will be destroyed, because THEIR PARENTS refused the indoctrination. Wow.

Right. Cain won't make it to the new system, but Attila the Hun will? On the other hand, what did Abel do to deserve being in heaven? YHWH liked his present, and he didn't like Cain's. You'd think that an omniscient God would sort of know what would happen if he showed he didn't like Cain's offer as much. Hey, any normal parent today would know.

But the worse thing is, of course, that they are using fear to get children to get baptized. I wonder how it is that some religions (besides the Watchtower) emphasize they don't baptize "children", but they certainly don't refrain from indoctrinating them and bullying them into getting baptized.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

LUKE 2:42, 46-47 -- "And when [Jesus] became twelve years old, they went up [to Jerusalem] according to the custom of the festival........ 46 Well, after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers and listening to them and questioning them. 47 But all those listening to him were in constant amazement at his understanding and his answers."

LUKE 3:21 -- "Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus also was baptized and, as he was praying, the heaven was opened up 22 and the holy spirit in bodily shape like a dove came down upon him, and a voice came out of heaven: “You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you.” 23 Furthermore, Jesus himself, when he commenced [his work], was about thirty years old,..."

1 PETER 2:21 -- "In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely"

The teachers at the temple were in constant amazement of Jesus' understanding when he was just 12 years old, yet Jesus waited until he was 30 YEARS OLD to be baptized. I say Christian youths would do well to "follow his steps closely" and wait for baptism until they are 30 years old.

Who can argue with scripture?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just how exceptional must these 9-, 10-, 11-year olds be who are getting baptised?

• d
    d

I understand the pressure.I was 16 yrs old and I was always getting pressured to get baptized for the sake of my soul.Did not Jesus say my load is light and my yoke is kindly.But not if your a witness.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Jesus waited until he was 30 YEARS OLD to be baptized

While true, it is somewhat different.

Jesus was born a Jew and was therefore born into a dedicated nation, and the baptism John performed was different than a baptism into Christ.

I think a younger person can make a decision to be baptized in a scriptural way, however, not into a JW baptism because it is unscriptural and a young one (even older ones who convert to JW's) do not really comprehend what the baptism means and the control aspect the organization uses with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit