The role of the Home Bible Study arrangement in JW brainwashing

by MrMonroe 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

I've just started reading "Year of Doom, 1975: The Inside Story of Jehovah's Witnesses" by English author J.C. Stevenson. It was published in 1967 as basically a memoir of his years in the Dubs, including time as a pioneer, and an explanation of the methods used by them to make the organisation grow.

It's not the best "insider" book I've written, but there is a section I've uploaded below that makes some interesting points about the home bible study procedure and why it is so effective at turning interested people into baptism candidates. Reading through this, I see myself back in the mid-80s sitting there getting led, week by week, into the trap.

This section is from chapter 2, "The Seed is Watered" in which he explains the typical process following a few return visits.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Nice find, MrMonroe.

Interesting that this was published in 1967 and even then this author knew 75 was just another Borg scam. If only the older members of my family had such insights at the time...

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for posting Mr Monroe,

I was not aware of this book, I may get hold of a copy and read it, it seems to make very valid points. I have long been aware that the Home Bible Study was exactly as he says, a way to get the cult personality and thinking implanted in the "student".

I remember sitting in on one such study, and the guy kept questioning everything and arguing against every point, it was quite an eye-opener to see the Elder who was taking the study get quite short with the guy, and virtually tell him he had to accept it or stop "studying".

I wish I could say the guy showed him the door, he did not, he is now a JW and so is his wife. his questioning everything came from him being by nature an awkward sod, as I learned later, and he did not take it far enough, he allowed the thought control to get a grip. Sad.

The bit in the quote about JW's answering exactly the same, when we were in we were told this was evidence of our "wonderful unity", in fact it was evidence we had our minds controlled by a cult.

Thanks again for posting.

• Mad Sweeney
  • Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I've never heard of this book. Where'd you find it????

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for sharing. No wonder they haven't changed this method of WT literature teaching.

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for sharing. No wonder they haven't changed this method of WT literature teaching.

• Ding
    Ding

That brought back a lot of memories.

It's been a long time since I studied with JWs, but I do remember the progression.

The first couple of weeks I could ask the people I studied with anything and epress my own opinions, which made me welcome the next visit.

Within a few weeks, the people I studied with suggested that we get more systematic and showed me this little blue book that would explain what JWs believe topic by topic.

Soon I was in a Socratic dialogue where they got to be Socrates and I was the guy who said, "Yes... uh huh... yes."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is so very true.. We know to our cost that a capable J W, when able to dictate the flow of tthe conversation can sound very convincing. It all seems to make sense .................

It is essential to get them off the prepared path, ask the unexpected questions and not be fobbed off . But to do that takes knowlege of their methods and experience, 2 things that a normal "Bible Student" does not have.

• clarity
    clarity

This is so unbelieveable! believeable!!!

I remember this happening to us exactly this way! At first all our questions were gladly received, we were highly praised for our curiosity and questioning. Terrifically love bombed, 'cause we were so unique .... an then 2 weeks later, the same words were used .... religion is a very big subject - we could talk for hours and not get anywhere so I have with me this book bla bla ......

bastards

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit