I'm a new study, need advice.

by Resistance is Futile 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

A little background on me, I have never been a JW. My spouse was born and raised in the Cult, disfellowshipped as a young adult and is now completely shunned by family still trapped inside. Before I met my spouse I knew very little about the JW’s. Seeing the way my spouse was treated made me want to learn as much as I could about the religion. The more I researched the more shocked I became. The average person knows very little about what really goes on inside the Jehovah’s Witnesses. So keep speaking out about your experiences, the public needs to be warned about these extremist groups.

I’m currently in a precarious situation. I’m talking to a relative of my spouse and giving the relative the impression that I’m a interested “study”. Yes it’s slightly dishonest, I have no real intention of joining their doomsday cult. But their recruitment tactics are also slightly dishonest, they are not forthcoming with “wordly” people about some of the more extreme beliefs. I also know that this is the only way I can talk to him about his religion without him getting defensive and basically shutting down mentally. The reason why I’ve begun the study is that I actually feel for my spouses relatives. If the situation were reversed and I was the one who had been raised in a high control doomsday group, I would want someone to try and gently show me that there is real freedom beyond the imaginary walls the cult has created and dubbed as “spiritual protection”. I don’t want to reveal too much personal info on this forum, the in-laws have no idea that I’m a scary “apostate” who thinks their religion is a dangerous cult. If they knew that, the opportunity to have an open discussion would be gone. I know they would quickly retreat back to the perceived safety of the group, with a juicy story to tell about the demonz using someone to tempt them from the “Truth”. Basically what I’m doing with my in-law is playing stupid, so that I can get him to explain some of the more illogical beliefs to me. I’m hoping that as he explains things out loud to someone who knows the right questions to ask he’ll begin to slowly realize that a lot of the things he’s been taught and forced to accept without question are not actually based on logic or reason.

I realize that a few paragraphs will not be able to explain exactly how I feel and what my motivation is, but perhaps I would say I’m slightly idealistic. As I told my spouse, I know that there are all kinds of injustices going on around the world, but this happens to be the biggest injustice that I see going on in my immediate environment right now. I see my in-laws being abused emotionally with the use of fear and guilt. I see them being indoctrinated with phobias so that they won’t escape from the group. I see their critical thinking skills being discouraged. Worst of all I see another generation of impressionable young children being indoctrinated into a very dangerous group that uses emotional blackmail to keep them from peacefully walking away. I think if someone has the capability to help those around them then they have a requirement to at least attempt to help. Because I now do know so much about what goes on in their religion and due to the fact that I also still have the label of “potential recruit” on me I think I’m in a unique position to help, even if only slightly. I know to not expect dramatic results, but if I can introduce just the tiniest bit of logic into their crazy world view then I can walk away saying I did all I realistically could.

I’ve read “Combating Cult Mind Control” although I can’t seem to find it right now. I remember it said attempt to talk to the persons pre-cult identity. What if they were born into the cult, how would you approach it then? I’ve been careful to avoid issues over doctrine. It feels like I’m walking through a minefield when I talk to him about the religion, I don’t want to make a wrong move. Any kind of advice would be useful. I know I only have a short window of time, if I keep bringing up difficult questions I’m sure I’ll eventually be dropped or he will suspect I’ve been reading “apostate” material. Keep in mind that I’m talking to a young man in his twenties. If you were in my shoes and you truly cared about the person’s well being how would you approach it? Looking back at when you were still in the religion, what could a “study” or friend have brought up that might have momentarily stopped you in your tracks and caused you to actually think, instead of just parroting back the preprogrammed answer that’s been provided by the Watchtower?

• wasblind
    wasblind

welcome Resistance

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome to the forum.

No two JW's are alike. All have a different way of dealing with difficult questions.
    Take a look at some things you can ask: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tough+questions+for+jehovah%27s+witnesses&aq=1

Also, take a look at WT Comment's videos on this. Here's the first link to start you. Click on it and find the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949n_xH9nso

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I don't know anything off the top of my head that could help you get through... Though I will say get ready for a rough ride. Both of my most recent girlfriends have had to deal with my JW parents, and neither of them came through without any battle scars. It's hard to live a lie like that, and I wish you much luck.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Welcome and you're not an apostate and never will be unless you get baptized and leave. Witness family at most can view you as an opposer which is a big difference from an apostate in their mind. If you're studying or someone is pushing their BS upon you slowly, once they get to the Jesus' invisible return fable ask ALOT of question. Make them show you proof for 1914, where they will show you calculation how they got to 1914. They will show you 607BC which you should force them to show you archaeological proof and don't back down on this issue. There is much information on this forum on this topic that you can review and you should use actual archaeological evidence to show them that 587BC is a factual date for destruction of Jerusalem and not 607BC. Good luck.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Welcome, Resistance!

If the situation were reversed and I was the one who had been raised in a high control doomsday group, I would want someone to try and gently show me that there is real freedom beyond the imaginary walls the cult has created and dubbed as “spiritual protection”.

Keep in mind though, not everyone wants that. Some people actually want this kind of religion, they need the structure and to be told what to do. Not to discourage you, as I would do the same thing in your situation. Loosing your religion is scary and really painful. You can plant seeds, but it's up to the individual to wake up. They have to do it. The whole leading a horse to water thing. It's just something to keep in mind and helps a lot with the frustration. You're in a great situation to help someone get out if they want it. What diamondiiz said, that's the key to everything they teach--everything hangs on they're being selected by Jesus. There's lots of info on here for almost anything that comes up in your study. Also check out jwfacts.com and freeminds.org. Glad you found us!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was once one of those who would have woken up sooner if someone had very gently and slowly shown me the way.

I was a born-in and was just trying to do the right thing and to please everyone, although I hated it being the only way to living forever.

I always wished there was another way.

You've such a kind heart. I wish you success in bringing your family together, again and out of that cult.

Welcome

• juni
    juni

Welcome Resistance!

The Steve Hassan book is excellent. I wish you the best in your journey and I'm sure you'll find a lot of information at this site to help you. Please don't get discouraged if you find yourself knocking your head against the wall so to speak. You are dealing with people in a cult. I was in for over 21 years and nothing someone would say would've turned me away - only what I started to wake up to made a difference. I had to come to my own conclusion about things and personally ready to be shunned.

Again, best to you.

Juni

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, sometimes it has to be something really personal that happens to make a person step back and think, "What a bunch of Pharisees!"

The gentle persuading would have probably worked best when I was a teenager, but maybe not so well when I was an adult.

I had a personal tragedy (no, no one died, just my spirit) happen in '04 that ended up proving out the "love" of the congregation.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Welcome Resistance! I don't have any good advice to give. The witnesses teaching you will be in teaching mode and not up to learning anything from you---that would be counter to their purpose. I studied with many people, and 2 of them to baptism. When they asked questions, my mind was set on finding the answers, and when I had felt I answered them fully, my mind dismissed any additional reasoning.

I understand your husaband's defensiveness if he is still captive. I was inactive but in JW view, seriously sinning, although the cong. never knew, and my boyfriend pointed out how defensive I got when he brought up religion.

Still, you are in a unique position. Your insight into this situation is amazing--especially because you were never actually imprisoned yourself. I would stick with purely secular discrepancies, but NOT science. They are prepared to answer anything to do with science. I recently confused a DF person with the 587/607 bce question. I simply said that in my history professor said Babylon destroyed it in 587, and that I've been searching for a purely academic reference to show her that is was 607. I explained she would not be likely to trust the WT, so it was important that I find a scholarly source. My friend said she would try to find one. I'm hoping she will reach her own conclusions. I haven't heard yet.

Good luck to ya. It's going to be difficult keeping all of you brain power a secret! You really do have a good hold on what is happening in their minds.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit