I'm an HBH

by Lunatic Faith 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I have received two visits from car-groups this week and am trying not to freak out. I think it is because the CO's visit is coming up. I have been home-but-hiding both times. Can I keep this up? What if they call to ask if they can bring by the CO? How many phone-calls and doorbell rings can be ignored before they either leave us alone or get more persistent?

I wish I could say this was the first time in my life I have been HBH when the JW's call, but it's not. Even though I am a 4th generation JW, I actually hid from them when I was a kid. My mother was an invalid, my father was a removed elder. The elders in the congregation would call to "encourage" my mother whenever my dad would ask for privileges for him or his sons. The elders would call to find out if our house was still a mess. When they would find the inevitable clutter because my dad worked full time, my mom was bed-ridden, and us kids were trying to take care of her and didn't know any better, they would call a meeting with my dad and his sons, tell them they were pigs and unworthy of Jehovah's love, and dismiss their requests to handle the mikes or answer at the meetings.

So, one day, I was about 12 and considering suicide because of the way we were always treated at the KH, when an elder showed up with some flowers for my mother. I looked out the curtains to see him standing on the porch and, God help me, I didn't let him in. Even though he had flowers for my mom, all I could think was how he would use the condition of our house to pummel my dad and brothers. At 12 I decided the lesser of the two evils was to pretend no one was there to let him in.

I have felt guilty about that ever since. Now I have come full circle and am HBH because I don't want their help, or their condemnation. I just want to be left alone.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

What does HBH stand for?

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

lol - I way thinking the same.. What is HBH? I simply think you will have to keep up hiding from them until they find some other weak minded candidate to harrass ! Keep up the good work :)

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Ahh just realised HBH = 'home but hiding' lol

• Alfred
    Alfred

Home but hiding?

• wobble
    wobble

I do so wish they would bring the C.O round to see me.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

What a tragic experience you have endured. I am so sorry you should ever have been treated this way. Don't feel the least bit guilty about not answering the door. It is absolutely your right to choose either to answer the doorbell or the telephone. Neither one should ever have any demands upon us. I understand the desire to just avert discussions with them - there is rarely any happy resolution to the hurts and pain suffered because these people have one agenda and one agenda only - to get you back within the fold. When you feel up to it and have the strength you can just quietly tell them straight out you would like to be just left alone currently but I doubt they would give you the respect you deserve and leave the matter at that so your avoidance at the moment is probably the best action to take even tho it is so irritating to be constantly badgered like this. You may try not hiding but also not responding to the door - just shaking your head and waving them on. Frankly I am not sure how that would play out but at least it would give you a sense of honesty without having to take any DRASTIC decision making stands at the moment.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Isn't it funny (not ha-ha) how they think EVERYthing they do is LOVING when MOST of what they do is HATEful and CRUEL?

I am sorry your family went through all that LunaticFaith, and I am glad you are finding your freedom now. Those poor people knocking on your door have no idea how hurtful they are, how UNloving they are in both doctrine and procedure. When I get frustrated and angry at them I try to remember that they are victims and I was once one, too.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Why hide at all? They are no match for you, as long as you know what to do. So in your case, just answer the door and say, no thank you. I have no inclination to make time for you. If I have I will let you know. Bye. And close the door. If they immediately call again just call the police. That's all there is to it. Nothing more. You do not have to deny yourself or hide for what you think is right for you.

Cheers

Borgia

• blondie
    blondie

Just keep ignoring the calls and the rude drop bys....I am empowered each time I do. Yours is another sad experience and I can relate. The healthiest thing I ever did was to finally cut off all contact with my abusive jw family and the "loving" jws that popped in unannounced at a time convenient to them. (I'm surprised the brother didn't leave the flowers on the porch to be picked up by the family later)

Just keep on persisting in your choice.

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit