How and when was the New Testament Compiled?

by ProdigalSon 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec
    This is why I love the gnostic or allegorical interpretation of the Bible... we can't go wrong if we put ourselves in Christ's shoes.... trust me it isn't blasphemy. He said we must pick up our own cross and deny ourselves... learn to put others first instead of ourselves.

The NT describes only some of the things that Christ said and did, and gives a witness accounts to him, and to what others did and thought after he died. But it is also subject to the errors of men.

But there is no error in 'do unto others as you would have them do to you,' or 'love others as yourselves'. There is also no error in having faith in Christ, in spirit; especially if that faith leads you to love, to show mercy, to forgive, and grants you strength and peace and hope.

I look at it this way... the NT accounts can give someone enough pause to think about this man, this Christ... perhaps love the things he stood for and taught, perhaps even follow Him as best as you know Him. But to do so, you also have to put your faith in Him, in spirit... and go to him in spirit...for it is the Spirit that teaches truth. Not the bible. The bible is just a place where you can learn a little about Him, according to those who knew Him and/or wrote about Him.

Tammy

• whereami
    whereami
    clarity many of us went through the same shocking awakening..... many just refuse to go deeper. letting go of the escence of your belief system is very hard but liberating... welcome to the real world

Spot on CJ.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    There is also no error in having faith in Christ, in spirit;

That is unless, he never existed. But which Christ can we put our faith on? Who was really Jesus? Is his story fabricated? For some it doesnt matter what he really said or if he even said those things. The fantasy in our heads is more important that the reality. Sometimes for many is easy to close our eyes and just fantasize. I used to wish that I was wrong and that everything I had learned from the WT-Bible was true. Now the more I read the bible the more amazed I get on how was it possible for me to believe all of that.

For some the Jesus of their imagination is more important than the real Jesus. Do not tell me Santa doesnt exists because I get presents every year.

Whereami: thanks

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I most say, this issue, the compilation of the NT was what got the ball rolling from me. Once I realized there was nothing divine about the flavor of Christ we ended up with. Once I realized we could have had a way different story of the Jesus of Nazareth thanks to arbitrary desicions for political reasons, my faith went down hill, the real research started and "ignorance" lost.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I most say, this issue, the compilation of the NT was what got the ball rolling from me. Once I realized there was nothing divine about the flavor of Christ we ended up with. Once I realized we could have had a way different story of the Jesus of Nazareth thanks to arbitrary desicions for political reasons, my faith went down hill, the real research started and "ignorance" lost.

inb4 "you should have prayed and personally trusted Jesus instead of a book about Jesus."

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    "you should have prayed and personally trusted Jesus instead of a book about Jesus."

Thats exactly what I did originally I trusted a book about Jesus, is called the "bible"

So now that i dont believe in the Jesus from that book, which Jesus should I pray? and where exactly can i find him "personally"? in my heart?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

CJ, I would start with a book called The Gospel of Thomas- Annotated and Explained, by Stevan L. Davies.

The good stuff is in the Gospels that the Catholic Church tried their best to annihilate from the earth. Metaphysical science says that if something is in human consciousness, its as good as real. So, for those people who believe Jesus existed, he existed. But for someone like me, it doesn't matter if he existed, what matters is the consciousness that came into the earth plane 2,000 years ago, the one of love thy neighbor, forgiveness and gratitude, all the things that make us evolve back to the Creator..... that the Catholic Church crushed. The good things that are coming in the Age of Aquarius could have happened in the Age of Pisces. Thankfully because of our free will we have chosen to bypass Armageddon and move forward in our spiritual journey.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

cyberJ: "So now that i dont believe in the Jesus from that book, which Jesus should I pray? and where exactly can i find him "personally"? in my heart?"

You can find these answers and more just by googling. Here's a book written by Jesus. I suppose you could pray to him, but it might be easier to look him up and call him. I think it lists a forum where you could find him.

• Isidore
    Isidore

Hello all. I'm new to the site. I was a cradle JW that was in the WT for about 25 years. I felt compelled to comment about some things that ProdigalSon was stating above. When you make the "crushing" accusations about the Catholic Church, can you cite some sources please? You're claiming that the Catholic Church did not teach or has never taught to love thy neighbor, forgiveness & gratitude? Have you actually read what the Church teaches in it's Catechism? I think you'd be surprised to learn that it in fact does teach these things.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Billy: I think this one is written by the man himself

Prodigal: Thanks I appreciate it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit