61% of Americans OPPOSE Limiting Union Bargaining Power

by blondie 45 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://themoderatevoice.com/102199/usa-todaygallup-poll-61-oppose-limiting-union-bargaining-power/

The Moderate Voice An Internet hub for moderates, centrists, and independents, with domestic and international news, analysis, original reporting, and popular features from the left, center, and right

« No More Fear

This Is Why Americans Vote Against Economic Self-Interest »

USA Today/Gallup Poll: 61% Oppose Limiting Union Bargaining Power

Economy, Politics.
    Feb 22nd, 201

A warning flag? Amid the ongoing drama in Wisconsin where Gov. Scott Walker is digging in his heels to remove collective bargaining from public employees unions, and reports that other GOP Governers are poised to try the same thing, a new poll finds 61 percent of voters oppose limiting union bargaining power. Yet another poll shows Walker is now also taking a hit with his voters in his own state.

Several things about this:

• Traditionally (as I have said many many MANY times here and on my Twitter account) people tout polls when they support their side and will argue about flawed methodology when it does not (much like the way some liberals quote MSNBC’s Chris Matthews when they like what he says but call him “Tweety” when they don’t). This has happened for years, by partisans on both sides. It’s all about spin and not wanting to accept a poll result. But if you see two polls that suggest a trend, it is unlikely to be a mirage.
  • The warning flag should be to the GOP. This again is seemingly lining up as an issue that pitts the Republican party conservative base and in particularly what I call the talk radio political culture (talk radio of the ear, cyberpace talk radio which is essentially what many blogs are, and politicians who talk in talk radio like sound bites that excite a party base) against what is a fact of American political life: there IS a center. It may shift left or right, but it is there and the danger for a political party is when it loses the center it could lose the independent voters.
  • During Bill Clinton’s Presidency the big focus was on how Republicans overreached and quickly outwore what seemed to be a big welcome given to them by voters who felt Clinton had worn out his quickly with them. Reports suggest Republicans don’t intend to make the same mistake this time if there is a government shut down. But these polls suggest the overreaching could be here — on the issue of unions.
  • No matter how it is spun, many Americans, even those who are not huge union supporters could be turned off by what is now appearing to be a clearly political move to take advantage of the lousy economy and budget ills to bust a union that supports Democrats. Forget the partisan spin (which you hear and see and read). There is a financial problem but it is increasingly clear that Walker sees a political benefit from this — as reports suggesting that his action will be cloned in some other GOP controlled states if he can do it (and he likely WILL).
  • There may be valid reasons to want to curtail collective bargaining but to many voters what’s going on in Wisconsin does not pass — here comes that horrible phrase — “the smell test.” And I have often contended that in elections many voters will vote for the party that reeks less.
  • The 2010 elections suggested a rapid buyers’ remorse on the part of many voters for casting their votes for the Dems. Are the Republicans positioned to set a record for buyers’ remorse if voters think focus is on scuttling Democratic party-sympathizing unions’ rights versus genuinely tackling what needs to be fixed in the economy?
  • Here’s the poll on union rights:

The public strongly opposes laws taking away the collective bargaining power of public employee unions as a way to ease state financial troubles, according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

The poll found that 61% would oppose a law in their state similar to one being considered in Wisconsin, compared with 33% who would favor such a law.

Ohio and several other states that have new Republican governors and legislative majorities are considering laws that would reduce the power of government employee unions to bargain over benefits and work rules.

Wisconsin is the first state to consider the limits, prompting protests that have closed schools and drawn tens of thousands of protesters to the state Capitol in Madison.

The poll results suggest how politically difficult it is to solve budget shortfalls. The survey found that people believe budget problems in their state are real but strongly oppose tax hikes to solve them. Americans are split on whether to cut state services to balance budgets.

Go to the link for more details.

And the poll on Walker:

Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, a respected Democratic polling firm released a polling memo Sunday showing that Walker’s approval rating is under water with likely voters, with 51 percent disapproving. And specifically regarding the Madison showdown, Walker is the least popular figure among those surveyed, with 43 percent of likely voters agreeing with his stance and 53 percent disagreeing; contrast that with state GOP lawmakers (48-46 agree), state Democratic lawmakers (56-39), Unions (59-37), the protesters (62-31), and public employees (67-24).

This might be related to the public unions calling Walker’s budget bluff. The governor has tried to frame his proposal as being budget-focused, that concessions are required from the public workers because of the state’s fiscal emergency (never mind, as my bloleague Anson Kaye pointed out yesterday, that it is an emergency of his own creation). But when the unions offered to meet his financial demands in exchange for keeping their collective bargaining rights (or as Walker seems to view them, “collective bargaining privileges”), he said that wasn’t good enough–they had to concede everything.

It’s worth noting that there ARE financial issues involving unions that need to be thrashed out by governors and unions. But what’s unfolding now in Wisconsin seems so patently political that Walker and the GOP appear to be losing the country’s center.

For instance, New York has an issue going on there but not on the same scale. The New York Daily News’ Bill Hammond:

The lefties and labor leaders squawking about Gov. Cuomo’s budget look pretty silly given what’s going on in Wisconsin these days.

In the face of a $10 billion deficit, Cuomo proposes shaving a mere 2.7% off a bloated state budget, and they tag him as “Draconian.”

He asks public employee unions to make modest concessions in a major fiscal crisis, and they accuse of him waging class warfare.

Frankly, these complainers should thank their lucky stars that they’re dealing with nice-guy, union-friendly Cuomo rather than the Cheeseheads’ chief executive, Scott Walker.

Like Cuomo – and most Americans – Walker thinks government workers should chip in more for their generous benefits. Specifically, he wants Wisconsin schoolteachers and others to contribute 6% of their salary toward their pensions and 12% toward health coverage – both perfectly reasonable amounts that Cuomo should be shooting for in New York.

But the overlap between Walker’s agenda and Cuomo’s ends there.

While Cuomo wants to negotiate givebacks at the bargaining table, Walker is trying to impose them unilaterally, with the help of fellow Republicans who control the Wisconsin Legislature.

And Walker’s demands go way beyond money-saving measures, to steps that would cripple public employee unions as a political force. (continues)

• blondie
    blondie

But Fox News reports that 61% is against unions keeping their bargaining......!!!!!!!!!??????????

http://mediamatters.org/research/201102230006

Video of statement is on this link.

• james_woods
    james_woods

No Blondie - Fox news guy mis-spoke and he corrected it just before I left for work.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I am not surprised at all. I am an independent voter and this Walker guy is pissing me off. The neocons had better watch their politcal asses.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think it's silly to try to remove the union bargaining power of public employees. In hard economic times, the bargaining unit might not get as much for the employees as they would like, but this type of bullying by the governor (or any government executive) is a pure example of how the politicians got the people into financial turmoil and want to blame someone else. If there is waste in the public salaries, it's typically from well-connected people being put on the payroll without qualifications for the job. Most of the budget problem is in government waste, not in pay and benefits for employees.

In Illinois, the governor said "enough is enough" when it comes to delaying and digging the debt hole deeper. He said Illinois has to get its finances in order now in 2011 and make some serious cuts. The news followed with how the governor's mansion needs a 13 Million Dollar makeover scheduled for this year, and how "they" said it's delapidated and will just need more money if they don't fix it now. C'mon, people. What entire house needs 13 million dollars in repairs? Bulldoze that money pit and give him a nice new house for a bunch less. Use the leftover land for a state park or simply leave it for nature.

It's the same with the current view of education. The politicians got us into a mess. In Wisconsin (or most states), they spend a fortune on education and the kids cannot read. They tested 8th graders and found results horrible. So they automatically blame the teachers. Most teachers' hands are tied as far as what they must teach and how they must teach. The government loads them up with mandatory programs and mandatory ways of implementing them. When the results are bad, nobody wants to admit their effort/program was a failure so they blame the teachers. Think of "No Child Left Behind" and programs like it that those 8th graders went through.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew that james...........I wonder how much time Fox spent on the correction...............I haven't seen anything on their website.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Wel, thank Gawd for common sense. I'm surprised that many Americans have it! I live just a few miles from a GM plant, and many people I know who aren't in a union, really resent the pay and benefits the union workers have. Unfortunately, neither my husband or myself have union jobs, but we support unions, because if they lose power, all workers will suffer.

• james_woods
    james_woods

but we support unions, because if they lose power, all workers will suffer.

How would a non-union worker suffer if they lose power?

• VIII
    VIII

In Illinois and especially Chicago, the unions have a strangle hold on the city. Yes, the politicians got us into this. That does not mean that we should continue on like sheep and just sit back and take it.

I sent the following article to my Mom who, being a typical JW does not pay attention to the local news:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-civic-pensions-0210-20110209,0,3198498.story The city of Chicago is $23 BILLION in the hole to Union Pension Plans: The Civic Federation releases a report showing the unfunded liabilities for 10 city and county pension funds grew sixfold from 2000 to 2009, with shortfalls now totaling nearly $23 billion, or $11,000 per Chicago resident. As the article states, she will be facing property tax increases and reduced services in Chicago. All because of the pensions that crooked politicians cooked up with Union Bosses--to keep them both in power. And funded with OUR TAX Dollars. Why is everyone putting their heads in the sand? This has happened all over the US. I, for one, see no reason for unions in a government environment. Is the government going to put the workers at risk? Is the government going to treat them so bad? They can leave just like any other employee and get another job. Why on earth does a group of government employees need collective bargaining? Why shouldn't they pay into their own retirement plan, like I do? Why shouldn't they pay for apart of their own insurance, like I do? Why shouldn't they be fired for doing a shitty job, like I can be? Why can't they negotiate their pay, like I do? Why do they need a Union negotiating everything for them? Bottom line? They don't. The union bosses need their money to pay the politians and the politicians need the union money to purchase their positions.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Why on earth does a group of government employees need collective bargaining? Why shouldn't they pay into their own retirement plan, like I do? Why shouldn't they pay for apart of their own insurance, like I do? Why shouldn't they be fired for doing a shitty job, like I can be? Why can't they negotiate their pay, like I do? Why do they need a Union negotiating everything for them?

Hi VIII,

Why on earth do you need to pay into your own retirement plan? Why do you pay for a part of your own insurance? Why do you have to negotiate your pay? It's because you do not have a union.

I have never understood the attitude of "I don't have it so why should they have it?" I've always thought if they have something I want, I should fight to get the same thing.

FYI, a union member can be fired for doing a shitty job. It happens all the time. Sometimes the union workers can be fired for missing work, it happens all the time and the Unions do not protect them.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit