My Labrador died can anyone please help me. I can't stand the pain.

by Witness 007 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My wife recovered from depression just 14 months ago and things have been going well.....so much so that I started a buisness for her and we are two weeks into it. My Labby was ill vomiting abit of discomfort, I thought great, you ate something bad again! The vet gave him a shot and sent us home. I thought sweet. Next day he gets sicker go back x-ray's and operation show a corn cob blocked his intestines. I have no idea where it came from and this kills me. Was it me, my wife? Or just him? I see him after the Operation and he's winney but seems ok, I was busy with my wife's business so I rang the vet late who said she just changed his pain meds and he's "resting comfortably", I thought I would go in the morning sooo tired...one hour later my frantic wife says he died. He was my best friend since no Watchtower robots speak to me anymore! BEST DOG I EVER HAD, me and wife cry every hour, I hope she doesn't get depression again, {we have no kids} I wen't and got a new lab pup the next day and it helped, my other dog is suffering though...she looked at the new dog, perked up thinking it was him, then started to drool and get angry and sad. She wants her lab back....5 years together. I NEVER felt a loss like this, I feel so down, getting another pup help alot anyone advice, help I never ask for anything but I'm totally destroyed.

$5000 all up but I wouldn't care if it was $50,000 he was worth more then that... loyal regardless of my personal beliefs, he just loved us for who we were, something brainwashed Witnesses would never understand. I'm so damn tired of everything, would love some advice.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Time.

• tec
    tec

I'm so sorry you lost him.I understand the pain, and how beautiful it is to feel that unconditional love. I'm so glad you had him during a time when you needed it most.

Your pain will fade, and you'll be able to remember him with happiness. Your other dog will grieve for a while too, and then move past it. I'm sure the pup is a good distraction, and will bring joy as well. But its okay to grieve for the first dog alongside that, just as its okay to have fun with the new pup and your remaining dog.

You'll be okay. Let yourself grieve, and trust that it is normal, and you won't hurt this deeply forever. The sadness will fade. (especially with the help of a new pup's antics)

Tammy

• TD
    TD

I'm so sorry.... I completely understand that pain. A year ago I had three dogs. --Now I have none.

Like Bizzy and Tammy have said -- Time

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I'm sorry for your loss. It's true,it takes time. And no other dog can replace the one you lost,but they can help you heal.

Hopefully,one day you can look back and think of only the happy,fun times. It sounds like you gave him a good and loving home.

I had to put my cat to sleep in December,and I still have days where I really miss her. There are on-line support groups for those that lost a beloved pet. It helps,because not everyone is considerate and understanding about such a loss.

Again,I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets really do become like members of our family.

• truman
    truman

The most intense griefs I have felt in my life have come from the loss of beloved pets, in my case cats. I have one now who is aging, and I worry about the day I have to know that I will see him no more.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your dog, truly a member of the family.

As others have said, the passage of time will help.

• Curtains
    Curtains

witness 007, I'm so sorry

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Witness, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs are something special, they cannot be replaced. Like people they have each one, his/her personality. Please do not let yourself get so down about it, although I know that is easier said than done.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Witness 077, here's something that may cheer you up;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG2x94Wp_Q8

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Witness 007...

I've had many, many animals. I've rescued wild ones and nursed some back to health, but I've lost some, too. I used to feel extreme fury and pain whenever I lost an animal - always felt that I didn't do enough, could have done more, could have kept the animal alive another week/month/year...

For me, two realizations changed that agony that I felt every time I lost an animal...

First, I realized that I HAD made a difference in the animal's life. Even when it was a kitten that only lived a few more weeks due to being born prematurely, or a bird that I'd rescued that lived only another day and died quietly in my house as opposed to being torn to bits by a predator, the effort I put forth had helped - even if just for a little bit longer...

Second, I realized that, just as I had rescued THAT animal, after losing it, there was ANOTHER animal out there, sometime, somewhere, that would need me, too. I wanted to be able to help the NEXT animal, and I COULDN'T do that if I was paralyzed with pain or sorrow or guilt or fear that I wouldn't do the right thing or wouldn't be able to save the next one or fear of feeling that horrible black pit of pain when I was helpless to save some poor, helpless animal...

EVERYthing dies. EVEN Galaxies die. Look at the natural world; how many cheetahs would survive if the mother cheetah mourned the loss of one cub to the lions, while neglecting her other cubs, due to her sorrow??

As the line went in "Gone With the Wind" [??], when an older woman was helping the doctor with the wounded, and a dispatch came, telling her that her only son had just died... The woman read the telegram, and with a resigned sigh, turned back to helping the wounded, with the comment, "The dead must wait upon the living"...

In other words, she chose to save the living, rather than lose precious opportunities to save another mother's son, in order to mourn her own loss...

A noble thought. But you WILL need to take time to grieve; I've mourned my animals for months, even a year, before another animal which needed to be rescued came into my life, or I sought one out. However, as I've gone thru this through the years, I've learned to reduce the time of mourning to a minimum; to stop beating myself up; to accept death as part of the cycle of life.

The sooner I can see past my pain, then I can see the living animal in front of me; which means that I can enhance ITS life, which will extend the time it and I shall have together.

Also, as I told one of my in-laws when she lost a beloved dog, "Your little one will live within your heart's core, forever..." The beloved one is physically gone, but its "presence" will always be with you in the form of happy memories and good lessons learned.

I've learned a lot from my pets. I learned so much from my husband's beloved cat, Opal - who lived with us for 19 years. When she died, my poor husband said it was like losing a daughter. He was so right, but we moved on, and there have been many more beloved little cats - dogs - and hamsters in our lives since then...

Hope this helps...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit