who's the boss?

by pontoon 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

Sorry Pontoon, I couldnt help it. And I'm already on youtube...thank you high speed cable internet.

Who's the boss was one my favorite shows growing up, and The Boss is my favorite Diana Ross song.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Tony Danza's the boss. *SMACK*

• AGuest
    AGuest
    GB or Don Adams & his crew or borg lawyers.

I don't think it's any of these, actually (peace to you all!), but if I had to choose, I would say Mr. Adams, et al. The GB have no power (other than the illusion of it, which they are drunk on). They're merely the "Queen Elizabeth" of the Borg, the figurehead used to keep the "subjects" in line.

The lawyers are servants, too, and must do as their clients direct... or risk losing not only their jobs, but their license to practice. Their job? To find a "legal" way for their employers to do what they want to do (make money) and get away with it. Also, if the lawyers were in charge, there's be no mic wires in any KH aisles, etc. (at least, not in the western world congregations). NOTHING that would provide the possibility of a lawsuit. Not even pedophiles (but some of those "know" some stuff, so can't just toss them out, can they?).

The true power in an organization lies with its executive staff (Chairman, CEO, President, CFO, COO, Sr. VPs, etc.), subject to its Board of Directors. Since the WTBTS is a corporation, well, find out who these guys are (I would but I don't actually give a dang) and you'll find the "seat" of power. Why? Because the primary and fiduciary responsibility of a for profit corporation is to do one thing: make profit (money) for its shareholders. Since the WTBTS has shareholders, we can safely assume it is a "for profit" entity... regardless of what it tells its congregational members (non-profits have members, not shareholders).

Find out who makes the decisions as to how the money is to be made... and you'll find the "boss(es)".

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Joliette
    Joliette

...and peace to, AGUEST.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Right back at'cha, dear Joliette!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who also loved "Who's the Boss" while it ran (but couldn't get into watching a syndicated rerun the other night - just way too 80's for me!!)... and that particular Diana Ross album ("It's my house, and I live here/there's my chair, I put it there..." da da da... da da da da da...).

• Joliette
    Joliette

...oh yeah, I'm an 80's baby (born in 1983)

And Diana Ross could get down!

• AGuest
    AGuest

I saw Ms. Ross perform at the Sports Arena (San Diego) in the 70's, dear Jol (again, peace to you!). One of THE best concerts I ever attended. That woman could SING... and I mean seriously. Her time with the Supremes was great but I could see how Barry Gordy knew that genre wasn't doing her voice justice.

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yeah, she has a beautiful voice. Your lucky to have seen her live.

In the Wiz with Michael Jackson she really can blow!

• wobble
    wobble

I do not believe that the legal boys and girls would come up with doctrine, new or changed.

I do believe they have a great say in what is published,particularly how it is worded, so that no damage can be done to the bank balance.

The same with the Writing dept, almost, except they could submit an article to the GB, if the GB thought it was O.K , and legal O.K'd it, it would get published. In reality, if it was a doctrinal issue being dealt with, the GB would take it away, fiddle with it, and then pretend they came up with it.

Then we have the Accountants, they must dictate policy a lot, urging the GB to sell property, close bethel homes and branches, and cut down on costs generally.

So, I guess it is a coalition, or rather an un-holy alliance, with no one real Boss.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The power the GB 2.0 has is limited by the bureaucracy that was created by GB 1.0 and is now entrenched.

They can't get the corporations back. The breakup of the Borg into several constituent companies around the turn of the century was sold to the GB as a legally necessary expedient. What it really accomplished is reinvestment of power into the hands of the President and his staff of attorneys.

I have asked several times and no one seems to know the answer (but I can guess): Does the GB have any legal authority over what the Watch Tower says or does at all? (my guess is no).

If my guess is correct, the GB operates at the sufferance of the Watch Tower corporation. The GB serves as a buffering shield from the rank and file, allowing the company to do its business as it sees fit without interference from meddlesome members and without having to bother with the nuisance of running the religious end of things.

I would guess both sides are perfectly happy with the power they wield and that neither try to rock the boat very much. BUT, if the company needs doctrine to change for legal or financial reasons, the doctrine will change.

These are my educated guesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit