A Bethel Memory #20 - Seven brides for seven sorcerers

by LivingTheDream 42 Replies latest members private

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I love Fantasia! But my favorite part is the last sequence where the demons are called forth from their tombs and dance in the dark. How did people respond to that one?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

My daughter had this video and I was advised very strongly not to keep it by an anointed sister.

I binned it, along with Ariel The Little Mermaid as that too had a demon in it! Years later I found out other witnesses had these videos and I felt very resentful that "my conscience" had been made to feel it was necessary to throw them away.

• nugget
    nugget

In't there a better bit at the end of the movie night on bear mountain with devils and demons. If the apprentice freaked them out the devils would have made them pass out.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

That is a consequence of Michel's iron law of oligarchy. Just below the supreme leader of a autocratic organisation there will be a level of power which will be made of individuals who are "more catholic than the Pope". They are the oligarchy in this case.

• blondie
    blondie

Disney movies with magic or ghosts

Snow White

Sleeping Beauty

Little Mermaid

Beauty and the Beast

The Princess and the Frog

A Christmas Carol

Lion King

Cinderella

Peter Pan

Spirited Away

Aladdin

The Black Cauldron

Sword in the Stone

Alice in Wonderland

Pinocchio

Tangled

Chronicles of Narnia

Pirates of the Caribbean

The Shaggy Dog

The Haunted Mansion

usw

But I remember an elder saying in his public talk that Disney World was the closest thing to the kingdom on earth!!!!

It is one thing to make your own choices but to make them for others?!

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Lunatic Faith, Nugget,

You know, I don't remember how the rest of the movie went with the family. I think that by the end of the first "test" the rest of us just didn't care. I guess we just thought "fantasy is fantasy"...

Blondie,

Good point about making a choice for others. For me it got to the point that I refrained from telling people even my most otherwise benign choices in entertainment. I just could't guess how some people would take it and didn't want to have that discussion all the time.

--

I would like to point out to all on the board here that if you thought your actions were restricted and your choices burdened down with worry and guilt in a "regular" Kingdom Hall, these things were taken to a whole new level at Bethel. For example, if your mom and dad had decided to watch Fantasia at your own home with your own "family", that action stopped right there. But the Bethel "family" was filled with thousands of the overly pious who constantly tried to one-up each other to prove themselves the "most spiritual". I even saw Bethelites who would PIONEER at the same time as being at Bethel!

It was an impossible environment to live in and how people stay there more than a few years is beyond me.

LivingTheDream

• belbab
    belbab

When I went to Giliead back in 59-60 documentaries were shown from time to time. One, I believe, put out by a religious group and was about the intricate miraculous properties of blood. Albert Shroeder, the registrar of Gilead at that time, said he viewed it ahead of time, to see if it was appropriate to show the class, and he approved it.

So, in the showing of Fantasia, it was more than likely that it was approved by the governing body ahead of time. They probably chose it because they wanted to lighten up the sombreness of Bethel. I know from a comment from a vivacious cheerful ex missionary from Quebec who married a heavy in Bethel and they are still there, that Knorr said that Bethel needed more lively cheerful people.

belbab

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It's true, I am evil.

MM

• Mickey mouse
  • cantleave
    cantleave

Love the first pic MM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest