A Bethel Memory #20 - Seven brides for seven sorcerers

by LivingTheDream 42 Replies latest members private

• mamalove
    mamalove

I have heard the whole anti-Fantasia thing for years. Ugh, these people!

• highdose
    highdose

i cannot belive they gave a cartoon to adults to watch for entertainment!!!!!!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

...account of talking snake, talking donkey? Where would I have read this?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

In a terrible book not for true Christians NVR2L8. Themes include genocide, infanticide, rape and incest.

I think it was called 'the Bible'.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Good stories - good memories. Thanks for sharing.

It doesn't surprise me. This same mentality trickled down to the masses.

When I was growing up, there were many TV shows that we were not allowed to watch because of the 'witches' or 'demons' in it (remember Bewitched?).

Of course... as in all families (including Beth-ell), there are many inconsistencies.

For example, we were allowed to watch the TV series 'I Dream of Jeanie' - which should have obviously been 'off limits'.

My mom also enjoyed the annual showing of 'The Wizard of Oz' - which obviously has Wizards, Witches, etc. in it.

I think that many of these movies, my mom liked watching before she became a JW, and somehow 'forgave' their obvious references to witches and demons as fantasy, and not real, or at least not real to her.

...and yes, Walt Disney's Fantasia was also on the 'OK' list to watch.

As a kid growing up (in the 60's & 70's), this just added to my own personal confusion as to what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' to watch.

Regards,

Jim TX

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Jim_TX,

Hey "Jim from Texas"! Did you read my story about Big Tex? I have a special affinity for Texas people by the way, long story I won't get into here.

My parents let me watch I Dream of Jeannie, but not Bewitched. Wizard of OZ was perfectly fine, but Bednobs and Broomsticks was not.

I never understood the hair splitting requirements then and I remain puzzled to this day...

LivingTheDream

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Back in the 70's, my parents would only take us to see 'G-rated' movies. There aren't that don't have witches or spiritism in them.

Fantasia was playing in a local movie theater and my parents took us kids and someone they were studying with at the time. We all got up and left when the Sorcerer's Aprentice started. To this day, I have never seen the rest of the movie.

Nice to know that I can now rent it - with Brooklyn's Blessing!

-Aude.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks for your stroy, Living the Dream, they must have stopped the movie night because when I was there in the early 90's we never had it.
    There were so many rules like this in the congregations I went to.

One sister banned Bugges Bunny during the WT study the conductor said she made good points on why we should not watch the cartoon.

The one that really made me mad was the brother who said we should not watch any football because of how violent it is. I leaned latter he was a level three sex offender at the time now he is a level two thanks to the help of one of the elders who help him get dropped down. No one in the hall was supposed to know he had raped a kid. Yet the Watchtower conductor said he was right and supper bowl parties were not really something that we as Jehovah's Witnesses should be doing.

One elder who banned everything in the world loved the Golden Girls which had all kinds of sexual overtones to it. I liked the show to but was afraid to say so.

One elders wife just over a year ago rebucked me because I wanted to buy a Starbucks cup that had their logo on it she told me the logo has something to do with a Greek Goddess who knew? She was really upset that I did not know that. I said but we buy coffee to go in the same cup. She said yes but we throw the cups away we do not keep them in our homes.

The rules go on and on.

You are right at Bethel it is magnified even more then in the congregations. I forgot our first week at Bethel I sat right next to the table heads wife. I have my ears pierced twice on one side and three times on the other side. It was never a big deal in my the hall we came from, well the table heads wife must have noticed and she just went off on it saying even some elders wives have double pierced ears. I have longer hair and I let it fall over my ears and as soon as I got back to my room I removed my extra earrings and never wore them at Bethel.

It is all so crazy.

Thanks for another great story.

LITS

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Life is too short,

After the Fantasia debacle, I think they gave up on the idea of Bethel Family Movie Night. I don't remember it ever happening again.

Although I heard at first they were going to show Ghostbusters...

Kidding...

LivingTheDream

• Joliette
    Joliette

What a bunch of idiots. Cant they tell the difference between fantasy and real life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit