HELP Why dont we hear God/Angels

by frigginconfused 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

Perry:

this is a prime example of the atheist narcisism that the Oxford professor wrote about in the link above. Because atheists must assume their own omniscience (something they know isn't true) to support their position as truth

I've never claimed omniscience. Ever. And my position is based on my experience, so it is my truth. For what it's worth, I did spend more than 3 decades of my life willing myself to have faith, trying to believe, wanting to believe, and sometimes even begging to believe. As hard as I tried, it didn't "click". I thought it was a failing on my part - surely if god was there all the effort I put into belief would have had some results, but eventually it occurred to me that I did my best and it was time to call it a day and stop trying to please god because it was interfering with my quality of life, and the quality of my family's life. I said "Enough".

It doesn't mean that I stopped being a good person - it just means that I made a conscious decision that I was going to be a good person just because. I didn't need a rubric that included god, eternal salvation or eternal damnation to motivate me to be who I am at heart. I don't need to live forever. I don't want to live forever. I do want to live the life I have, however many days, weeks, months or years that is.

Whatever peace or comfort your faith brings you, Perry, I wish you well. But I won't argue with you. I'm saying "Enough".

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I didn't say I believe that, I was asking the question rhetorically. LOL I need to work on that style, apparently.

I don't expect personal answers from the nether realms, not in any conventional mode, like an email or even a book, or voices.

We get anything metaphysical or spiritual in the form of energy, it's the only thing that can travel between dimensions, as far as I know.

Christians call it "holy ghost" but a rose by any other name...

• Perry
    Perry
    I did spend more than 3 decades of my life willing myself to have faith, trying to believe, wanting to believe, and sometimes even begging to believe. As hard as I tried, it didn't "click". I thought it was a failing on my part - surely if god was there all the effort I put into belief would have had some results,

I know you try to be a good person Skully. I've caught your vibe for years. For me, I stopped trying to be good almost altogether after I left. I really sank my teeth into the Org. and got nothing in return but failure and rejection from those I loved. You are a better person than I. That is not just blowin smoke either.

For what it is worth, faith is not something we give God, it is his gift to us. When we will ourself to have faith, we take the credit for that and our own will becomes an idol. Many JW's weild great powers of the will, I've seen it. But it is still an idol that must be torn down.

Colossians 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility,...to the satisfying of the flesh.

For me I reasoned that all my teenage rebellion years were enough of sowing my wild oats and that God should have revealed himself fully to me at the time I thought I was ready, when I became a bonafide Witness. I was really miffed, even after being saved that God allowed me to go through 8 years as a Witness and another 7 to 8 years lost as a goose before he saved me. In time, I learned that for me, the hold up was my family. I'm half Sicilian with a strong clanish instinct. I just couldn't bear the thought of saying goodbye to my mother forever. Every single member of my family is a witness along with hundreds of realitives. I was content to let them believe that I was weak, instead of experience God and never see them again.

Jesus wasn't bowing smoke when he said that anyone not willing to hate his father and mother and even his own soul was unworthy of him. God always tells the truth. Eventually, I had to make a choice.

For others it may not be family, it might be their will or something else that is the hold up in keeping Jesus from being the sole object of worship. One thing is for sure, as a JW you were not approaching Jesus himself. Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me" . He also said that "ALL authority has been given me in heaven and earth." A person MUST do business with Jesus. He also healed people in order to prove that he had "the power to forgive sins". Only God can forgive sins. Whatever the essence of God is - that was the stuff that was in the man Jesus. He was God Skully. And Christians love him very much because he has revealed himself to them as fully alive even after he died.

There is no loss of dignity or self in worshipping God. In the proper context, it is very natural. But, make no mistake, He will not share his throne or take the #2 position with regard to another person, corporation, your will, my family, or anything else in the universe.

I wish you all the best.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

This topic got highjacked.

IS THERE ANY CLEAR PROOF IN THE BIBLE THAT GOD WILL NOT TALK TO US ANYMORE?

So far everything points to more contact near the end.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Hey! Even if God does speak to us, we may not understand what he says unless we understand the Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek languages.

God doesn't seem to be very fluent in any other languages...

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I'm sure this has already been covered, but the reason we don't hear God and His Angels is because they do not exist.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

The question is...

Does the bible state anywhere that God has set a date when he stoped talking to us? Why is it assumed God stopped talking to us?

Not does he exist. I could care less. Just wanna know what the book says. Dont matter if you believe or not.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Even in the Bible accounts, God and the angels didn't communicate directly with an awful lot of humans.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

It simply does not matter whether the Bible pronounces a time in which God would stop chatting with humans (which I believe it does not specify).

You might as well be asking if Grimm's sheds any light on why Bigfoot stopped writing, why my ex-girlfriend, a hydra, stopped sexting me . . . or why the unicorn hasn't stopped by for coffee in ages :P

Your question presupposes that God exists in the first place. He does not.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Wow, how do you get so definite on how God doesn't exist? I don't see enough evidence pro or con that is that definitive. I don't know how to disprove that negative, the fact that something or someone doesn't exist on any level of existence.

I'm incapable of that kind of emotional and mental certainty, I don't know how people acheive it, although I have several very good atheist friends and admire their certainty.

I don't really care if God exists or if he talks to cats dogs or people anymore, but if God (Bible version) exists, I do wonder why he's so confusing, conflicting and elusive. Maybe he doesn't talk to us anymore because we have all kinds of smart ass questions now people wouldn't have dared ask back in the good old days. LOL

I think I like Pagan gods more, at least I know why they're such assholes, it's because they don't have to be good, they're just like humans. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit