BREASTFEEDING IS EATING BLOOD!

by metatron 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

Wey hey Scully - with you there!

The breastfeeding sisters in my Kingdom Hall were always ushered out into a cold little room, hidden out the back somewhere - not being allowed to discretely feed their children in the warm with the rest of their family. Something to do with brothers getting distracted from the meeting. Dirty bastards, if they got a kick out of that it should have been them going out to the cold little room out the back to pull themselves off and get rid of that obvious sexual frustration!

I got kicked out shortly before my boy was born but if I had been a member of the congregation when he was young and I was feeding him, I would have created a stink, just like you did. Good for you!

And incidentally, my boyfreind used to love the taste of breastmilk...

• Solace
    Solace

Hi, Im new to the site. Couldnt resist this one. I was raised a J.W. My entire family being J.W. (they have distanced themselves from me since I ask so many questions) This subject has been bugging me for years. I have brought it up to the family before and they look at me like Im nuts. Anyway, I cant believe it never was brought to the W.T.S attention. Its yet another classic example of how enlightened the society is.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I really need that lock of hair, Scully.

Pierced, go ahead and send you're guys hair also. Maybe I can de-bird two blokes with one spell

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Heaven,

It has been brought to the society's attention.

In fact the Society allows for white blood cells to be transfered from one person to another via a transfusion as long as it is called a peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) autografting procedure. Its just like a white blood cell transfusion but it is called a PBSC. The society will allow it, conscience permitting of course.

Please note Dr. Sam Muramoto's article at AJWRB - http://www.ajwrb.org/physicians/muramoto-murky.html.

How the hell can you ban a white blood cell transfusion but allow this? And if you allow this cellular component, why not allow all cellular components such as red blood cells and platelets.

What Metatron has posted is nothing new to the Society. Remember, you are dealing with a corporation that boasts of its great "Hospital Information Service" in New York, USA and Georgetown, Canada. This Service "boasts" of their doctors on staff and the 4,000 medical journals they review. They have to know exactly what they are up and have been told.

If you don't think so - I suggest that you go read the letters by Mr. Randy Jensen, who is an Elder in Alabama, to the Society and then read the Society's bullsh!t responses.

Take care, welcome and thanks for your post.

hawk

( http://www.ajwrb.org

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Heaven,

Some Witnesses think that AJWRB is an Apostate site so go to the Archives of Internal Medicine and Read Dr. Sam (Osamu)Muramoto's comments for yourself. If I actually get a second and the freezing rain stops I will even get you the real article.

Read my friend read
    . http://archinte.ama-assn.org/issues/v158n10/ffull/ilt0525-3.html

Medical Ethics in the Treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses

I read with great interest the recent article by Kerridge et al1 on the first documented case of the use of peripheral blood stem cell autografting in a Jehovah's Witness. This case has a profound bearing on the medical ethics of treating Jehovah's Witnesses. As new technologies evolve around blood-based treatments, whether such treatments are acceptable to Jehovah's Witnesses has become a complex issue. One of the most difficult aspects of caring for Jehovah's Witnesses in recent years is that such decisions are often arbitrarily made by local church officials on hospital liaison committees or high officials at the headquarters of the Watch Tower Society in Brooklyn, NY. Although guidelines are published by the Watch Tower Society, officials often rule on the acceptability of uncommon treatments on an individual basis. As a result, medical articles sometimes report inconsistent practices. For example, despite the frequently used guidelines2 that clearly state that Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept predeposited blood, reports show that some are willing to accept treatments involving predeposited autologous blood or blood components.

The case reported by Kerridge et al illustrates this point. In this case, peripheral blood stem cell autografting was determined by church officials to be acceptable, even though it is a form of autologous white blood cell transfusion, which has been explicitly prohibited by the Watch Tower Society.2 Although the Watch Tower Society once condemned organ transplantation as "cannibalism" based on biblical arguments similar to those it has used to condemn blood transfusions, it now considers all transplantations, including bone marrow transplants, to be a "matter of conscience."3 This means that individual Jehovah's Witnesses can decide on their own whether to use this treatment, and more significantly, that they will not be ostracized by the Watch Tower Society for challenging its mandates. Given this background, it is likely that the Watch Tower Society considered peripheral blood stem cell autografting to be permissible as a form of organ transplantation. It is not clear how this was balanced against the fact that peripheral blood stem cell autografting is also a form of autologous blood transfusion.

Jehovah's Witnesses prohibit blood transfusions because they view them as a form of eating blood, which they say is prohibited in the Bible. The Watch Tower Society teaches that eating and infusing blood are similar because nutrients can be "eaten" intravenously. It illustrates this by arguing that drinking alcohol and infusing alcohol intravenously have the same result.4 However, it ignores the fact that transfused blood cells are not digested or absorbed, but rather remain biologically and functionally intact. The Watch Tower Society's argument ignores the fact that blood transfusions are comparable to organ transplantation with cellular organs, and that organ transplantation is acceptable. The use of peripheral blood stem cell autografting in Jehovah's Witnesses is noteworthy in this regard because the treatment involves both transplantation and transfusion, 2 procedures that are virtually impossible to separate conceptually.

I believe this case report is a landmark in the history of the medical treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses. First, another option may be added to the list of acceptable treatments for Jehovah's Witnesses. Second, and more importantly, it is about time the medical community demanded that the controlling Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society codify its rules into a simple consistent whole that the medical community may easily follow.

Osamu Muramoto, MD, PhD
    Portland, Ore

1. Kerridge I, Lowe M, Seldon M, Enno A, Deveridge S. Clinical and ethical issues in the treatment of a Jehovah's Witness with acute myeloblastic leukemia. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:1753-1757. MEDLINE

2. Dixon JL, Smalley MG. Jehovah's Witnesses: the surgical/ethical challenge. JAMA. 1981;246:2471-2472. MEDLINE

3. Questions from readers: could a Christian accept a bone-marrow transplant since blood is made in the marrow? Watchtower. 1984;5/15:31.

4. Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. Reasoning From the Scriptures: 1989. Brooklyn, NY: Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania; 1989:73.

The views expressed herein are personal and do not reflect those of Kaiser Permanente health maintenance organization or Pacific Northwest Permanente PC.

• Solace
    Solace

hawkaw:
    Thank you so much for the information!
    I would have gotten back to you sooner but Im still learning about this forum. I didnt even know you could go back this far to previous postings. I have been talking about this issue with my sister, who also knows the truth about the Org. I also shared your info.
    We couldnt believe it. Cows Blood? What the hell is that all about?!
    I think the people who are writing some of this crapp in the Watchtower are deeply disturbed. I can see why they wont sign their name to any of the writings, I wouldnt either.
    Pretty sick stuff.
    Thanks again.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hi Heaven,

I don't know if you have been following along but I have done a pretty serious essay on "the natural transfer of whole blood". Click on the following:

. http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/twins.htm

The essay has attached the actual medical articles for you to print off on white blood cells (Appendix 5) and of course medical articles on the whole blood transfer (Appendices 3 and 4)

Lee Elder at AJWRB has produced an excellent essay on natural transfer of red blood cells and white blood cells. Click on the following:

. http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/crumbles.shtml

My essay is found at Osarif's site ( http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm ). Very technical but it has a lot of excellent information. I always read Alan F's stuff. He provides excellent information. Obviously all of the other posters at this site are just as outstanding.

Have fun and think about those little kids who have died over the last 12 years or so when this "natural transfer" doctrine was introduced.

hawk

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I've posted this a few times but what the heck, let's get it out again...

BLOOD
    REFERENCES

(EA) The Encyclopaedia Americana (International Edition) Volume 4 1981
    (NEB) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica 1998 Edition
    (ECT) Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology Volume 4 Fourth Edition 1992
    (CE) Colliers Encyclopaedia Volume 4 1997 Edition
    (EE) Everyman’s Encyclopaedia Volume 2 Sixth Edition 1978

(Publications listed above are available from the Reference Section of most libraries.)

From the HEALTH-CARE ADVANCE DIRECTIVE:

(2) I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. On the basis of my firmly held religious convictions (see Acts 15:28,29) and on the basis of my desire to avoid the numerous hazards and complications of blood transfusions, I absolutely REFUSE allogenic blood (another persons blood); stored autologous blood (my own stored blood); the blood components red cells, white cells, platelets and blood plasma; and blood-derived haemoglobin preparations (human or animal) under any and all circumstances, no matter what the consequences. This refusal is not to be overridden by a purported consent of a spouse, relative or other person or body.

(3) With respect to minor blood fractions or blood products containing minor blood fractions, according to my conscience I ACCEPT: [Initial one of the three choices below.]

(a) NONE.
    (b) ALL.
    (c) SOME. That is, I ACCEPT: [initial choice(s) below]

Products that may have been processed with or contain small amounts of albumin (e.g., streptikonase, and some recombinant products [such as erythropoietin (EPO, epoetin-a) and synthesised clotting factors], and some radionuclide scan preparations may contain albumin).

Immunoglobulins (e.g., Rhesus immune globulin [Anti-D], gammaglobulin, horse serum, snake bite anti-venoms).

Clotting factors (e.g., fibrinogen, Factors VII, VIII, IX, XII).

Other:

White Cells (Leukocytes)

In the Awake! 22/10/1990 page 4 there is an illustration detailing 'The Main Components of Blood'.
    White Cells are noted as making up only 1/10th of 1 percent (0.1) of the volume of blood*.

Why isn't this classed as a minor fraction?

Also, The Encyclopaedia Americana (International Edition, 1981) states,

"white blood cells are capable of moving about independently and are not merely carried by the bloodstream. They can also move out of the bloodstream".

The New Encyclopaedia Britannica (1998 Edition) states that,

"Most of the leukocytes are outside the circulation, and the few in the bloodstream are in transit from one site to another".

This means that if a brother accepts an organ transplant (which is permitted), he will receive into his body many times more white cells than if he had them as a transfusion (which is not permitted).

Consider also that fractions like albumin have been deemed a matter of conscience on the consideration that such pass naturally from mother to child in the womb. However leukocytes also pass naturally from mother to child during breastfeeding, particularly in the first few days when colostrum is produced. On this matter, La Leche League International state,

"Colostrum also contains high concentrations of leukocytes, protective white cells which can destroy disease-causing bacteria and viruses".

The highly respected British Medical Association in their Complete Family Health Encyclopaedia state on page 291 under the heading 'COLOSTRUM',

"It has a high content of lymphocytes (white blood cells) and immunoglobulins, which help protect the baby from infection".

Why then are white cells not approved of by the Society for transfusion?

Platelets (Thrombocytes)

Again, NEB states,

"The blood platelets are the smallest cells of the blood, averaging two to four micrometres in diameter. Although much more numerous (150,000 - 400,000 per cubic millimetre) than the white cells, they occupy a much smaller fraction of the volume of the blood because of their relatively minute size".

EA puts platelet size smaller still at just "1 to 2 microns in diameter".

Why then aren't platelets classed as a minor fractions?

In the Questions from Readers article in the 10/1/94 issue of The Watchtower, the question raised was,

"Would it be proper to accept a vaccination or some other medical injection containing albumin derived from human blood"?

The first line of the response was, "Frankly, each Christian must personally decide on this". (The article then discussed the matter in detail and made the following observation,) "Currently a small amount of albumin is also used in injections of the synthetic hormone EPO (erythropoietin). Some Witnesses have accepted injections of EPO because it can hasten red blood cell production and so may relieve a physician of the feeling that a blood transfusion might be needed".

Why then are platelets prohibited?

The New Encyclopaedia Brittanica states that,

"The effect of the platelet response is to stop the bleeding and to form the site of the developing blood clot, or thrombus. If platelets are absent, this important defense reaction cannot occur, and protracted bleeding from small wounds (prolonged bleeding time) results".

Surely efficient clotting and reduced bleeding time would 'relieve a physician of a feeling that a transfusion might be needed'.

Blood Plasma

The Awake! article mentioned above states that,

"Plasma [makes up] about 55 percent of the blood. It is 92 percent water; the rest is made up of complex proteins, such as globulins [includes immunoglobulins], fibrinogens, and albumin".

NEB agrees with this and fills in some of the details. It states,

"The liquid portion of the blood, the plasma, is a complex solution containing more than 90 percent water. The water of the plasma is freely exchangeable with that of body cells and other extra cellular fluids and is available to maintain the normal state of hydration of all tissues. The major solute of plasma is a heterogeneous group of proteins constituting about 7 percent of the plasma by weight".

EA defines this portion of the plasma as 8 percent and states,

"The three principal plasma proteins are albumin, globulin and fibrinogen".

Whether 7 or 8 percent, this portion of the plasma (about 3.7 percent of the volume of blood), is comprised entirely of elements, which are approved of by the Society for transfusion.

The plasma is prohibited but its ingredients are approved!

TABLE 1. THE CONSTITUENTS OF PLASMA (in milligrams per 100 millilitres)
    (Taken from Colliers Encyclopaedia, Volume 4, 1997 page 263)

The chart below details every component contained within the water that makes up human plasma. Not ONE component is forbidden from use by the Society. Even the water is permitted as ‘saline’.

Sodium 310 - 340
    Potassium 14 - 20
    Calcium 9 - 11
    Phosphorus 3 - 4.5
    Chloride 350 - 375
    Glucose 60 - 100
    Urea 10 - 20
    Uric Acid 3 - 6
    Cholesterol 150 - 280

IF EVERY COMPONENT OF PLASMA CAN BE TAKEN WITHOUT SANCTION, WHY IS THE PLASMA ITSELF FORBIDDEN?

PLASMA PROTEINS 6000 – 8000

Albumin 3500 – 4500
    Globulin 1500 – 3000
    Fibrinogen 200 – 600
    Carbon Dioxide 55 – 65

(Volume in millilitres, corrected for temperature and pressure, per 100 millilitres plasma)

Storage

In respect of albumin and immunoglobulins, very many litres of stored blood are needed to produce the small amounts of approved products. For example, to produce enough globulin for a single vaccination jab almost 3 litres of stored blood are needed. (See Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology, Volume 4, Fourth Edition 1992)
    This is more blood than a patient would normally get from a transfusion and remember that the globulins have been taken from FFP (fresh frozen plasma), which is stored blood.

The Society has also approved Factors VIII and IX.
    But to produce enough of these products to keep just one haemophiliac alive would mean taking components from thousands of litres of stored blood.

How do we reconcile this? Why is it that we are allowed to make use of the stored blood of an anonymous donor, but aren't allowed to use our own stored blood?

If we can make use of stored donated blood in this way, why, as stated in the ‘Advance Medical Directive’, are we required to "absolutely REFUSE-stored autologous blood"?

It has been noted by the Society with respect to albumin, that as Jehovah's creation allows for this component to pass naturally from mother to child, it could be considered appropriate to duplicate this transfer via an injection or other means for medical purposes.
    What of Jehovah's creation with respect to blood and its storage outside of the circulatory system?
    Please note the following quote from 'Biology, a Functional Approach' 4th Edition 1998 page 208,

"(11) Storing blood. The veins in the liver have great powers of expansion and contraction, to such an extent that the total volume of blood in the liver can vary from 300 cm3 to 1500 cm3. This enables the liver to serve as a blood reservoir. Along with the spleen, it can regulate the amount of blood in the general circulation".

If Jehovah's creation allows for the removal and storage of blood outside of the circulatory system could it not be considered appropriate to duplicate this for medical purposes?

Notes:
    The Society may be mistaken in assigning to white cells such a low value for volume (0.1%).

Colliers Encyclopaedia, Volume 4, 1997 Edition, states that white cells "make up 0.5 to 1.0 percent of total blood volume".

Compton's Interactive Encyclopaedia 1997 Edition, states; "There are far fewer white cells, or leukocytes, than there are red cells. In the bloodstream there is approximately only one white cell for every 700 red cells".

NEB states that white cells and platelets together constitute "less than one percent of the volume of blood".

Even at 1 percent, this is still a smaller amount than both of the permitted fractions, albumin and globulins. (EA page 91)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

nicolaou

http://www.do-not-call.org

• Solace
    Solace

hawk & nic:
    I feel pretty strongly about this issue, since my grandfather died while refusing a blood transfusion. I wonder how my J.W. family will respond when the society finally permits blood transfusions. Im sure it is inevitable with all this information that is avalible. Maybe when the current governing body members die off and they get some younger more savvy members to find some way to smooth things over and permit blood, without losing members. Should be interesting.
    Thanks for the addl. info. It should keep us busy for awhile!
    It seems every day I learn somthing more disturbing. I can honestly say though, Im not as shocked anymore.

• Scully
    Scully

Here's some more academia related to breastfeeding:

http://www.medceu.com/course.cfm?CID=141

This website contains continuing education courses for health care professionals, including this one on breastfeeding.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit