Neverending Story.. (just another Bible/God debate)

by SweetBabyCheezits 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I agree with most everything Psac had to say. I just question one thing:

BUT that revelation will never be absolute for all because that would endanger the one thing that God truly desires - The aporachment to God via free will.
    Let's be very clear here, IF God came out in all his wonderous glory, the free will that we would have to believe or not would be removed

Perhaps I am not understanding what you're saying, or perhaps I see it the same and just word it differently.

But knowledge of the existence of God does not guarantee that one will love and/or have faith in Him. It is loving God that makes the difference. If a person has love in his heart, then I think God knows that person already... and in a way, that person knows God (without his really knowing it), far more than someone who believes in God but has no love in his heart. Christ-like is the term that comes to mind, I think.

Other issues would include suicides by those of other faiths, wars as people try to assert their God or their place, people continuing in faith that their God is bigger and better than this one who has appeared. Trauma, etc, etc. So a big forceful I am God and I am here to people before they are not ready or willing to see/hear Him would hurt many. I think its safe to say that some would be terrified at the prospect of His existence. That is something that we have done to ourselves.

So now we have to be quiet to listen. Some have the law (love) written on their hearts already.

Tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    PSac: Let's be very clear here, IF God came out in all his wonderous glory, the free will that we would have to believe or not would be removed.
    Trevor: According to the Bible, angels have never had the free will that you believe is essential for humans to have. Angels have always known of god's existence as they are said they reside with Him. Some, still decided to rebel.
    Psac: If they decided to rebel then they obviosuly had free will.

Psac, there is a broken link in the chain of logic here. If God manifests himself before angels but they still have free will, your first statement cannot be true.

Angels were privy to God before man, man was privy to God before "our fall",

Again, if man was privy to God before "the fall" (there is no "our" - I take no responsibility for my ancestor's failings), then according to your first statement, Adam and Eve were without free will. But then how did they rebel without free will?

perhaps God decided that since THAT way didn't work, maybe he'd try a different way?

You're a good man of faith, sir. I am without. To me, that sounds like God said, "Well, I didn't get their obedience by making myself obvious. Lemme try hiding for a few thousand years."

Trevor: I guess I was born on the wrong side of the railway track.
    Psac: No, you weren't, we are all born with the capacity to know God, we just have a lot of "noise" going around in our heards and hearts.

The capacity to know god? My kids have the capacity to know me but I don't expect them to go on scavenger hunt to find me. I've made myself known to them from day one via 4 out of 5 human senses. Why? Because I love them and I want them to know me. I don't want one kid to know me simply because his mother talks about me so he sees me in "faith" while the other is like, "Dad, where are you? I need more than that!"

Why is so much value placed on faith alone? How does that improve the situation?? I see no reason that manifesting himself would remove free will to decide whether or not we would obey him.

For years I asked and prayed for God to make himself known to me, well...I should be honest and say that I yelled and demanded to know WHY things were the way they were and why God * waves accusatory finger* didn't fix it !!

As someone who doesn't believe in a personal god, I have to think you must've had at least a kernel of faith in order to get angry with God. Folks like Trevor and me... (hope I'm not speaking out of turn, T) we don't have that luxury of searching for god with our "feelings" anymore.

As for me and my household, we shall believe on reason and evidence.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Heyyyyy, Gladiator/Trevor, I was just thinking about you earlier this week! I've noticed that a some of my favorite posters were MIA. (NVL got booted.) Welcome back, with your diplomatic self!

You inspire me to stop debating and relax. I'm envious of those who have learned to be more laid-back. I hope it comes with maturity. (And I hope maturity comes to me. )

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC to Trevor: You inspire me to stop debating and relax.

Just not today.

TEC: Other issues would include suicides by those of other faiths, wars as people try to assert their God or their place, people continuing in faith that their God is bigger and better than this one who has appeared. Trauma, etc, etc. So a big forceful I am God and I am here to people before they are not ready or willing to see/hear Him would hurt many. I think its safe to say that some would be terrified at the prospect of His existence.

My thinking wasn't that God would show up one day out of the blue like an estranged father, but that he would've made his prescence known - to at least two or three of our five senses - from the very beginning. Then there would've been no shock.

• tec
    tec

So, Tammy, to determine which parts of the Bible are trustworthy, you're saying we must first accept some parts at face value and then base the rest of our judgment on that which we've accepted without question?

Well, if I'm just going by the bible, I take what Christ says and measure everything against Him - which I can further measure against love. God does not contradict love (and if he was the petty tyrant that people have thought in the past and continue to think, but also an all-powerful one, then this entire conversation is meaningless because we're all in for a heap of trouble anyway. But then of course, that contradicts that Christ came in the image of His Father)

Even the bible says that it is to Him we must look. But now, for me, that means look to Him in Spirit, so I try to listen in MY spirit. So that by listening in spirit (in my heart, I guess is as close as I can compare it), I can read something and feel in spirit 'oh yes', and feel joy and peace... OR I can look and say... hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Then I can leave it for a while, because I could easily not understand. And some other things I can see that completely contradict Christ and love, and think... nope.

I realize that, Tammy, and you guys are cooler than many. But you have to take a pretty flexible view of the Bible (in myopinion, per my previous comment) and I really can't buy that either. According to the majority of Christians I've spoken to, hell is the sentence for not accepting Jesus as my savior.

If I were you, I wouldn't give it much credence unless someone could prove that statement biblically (without mistranslation and contradiction with things Christ taught/said). This is one that I believe JW's got mostly right... and even applied that a God of love would not send billions to suffer eternally in an eternal place of fire and damnation and torture.

Thomas, from what I understood, was simply asking for proof that Jesus had been resurrected. My point was that Thomas did not accept hearsay as adequate reason to believe the "Jesus spottings". Therefore, why should I accept the hearsay of the Gospel accounts without sufficient evidence.

You don't have to. You can ask for faith, or evidence as you with or require. But 'blessed are those who believe even though they have not seen'.

If you were a general in an army, and you went away (for a long time) and some of the soldiers under your command continued to exercise faith and love for you, even to their children... while others no longer believed... who would you want at your side when you returned? Does that mean you disregard the others? No. But do you think that the loyalty and faith of the first group is going to mean something extra to you?

I've yet to hear of a ruler who has ever led his subjects to an era of peace and prosperity by applying these qualities to the perfect degree. Please elaborate.

I was speaking about the qualities themselves, and not a ruler who exhibits them (because of course you're right... we have had no human ruler in the past or present who is also not guided by his own interests/ambitions/etc... at least none that I know of)

Take Nazi Germany (sorry, but its the clearest one I can think of - though we could also use whoever decided to gift native americans with blankets contaminated with small pox)... those who followed Hitler and that regime were not following mercy/forgiveness/love/justice. Granted, many of them did so out of fear. But some did so out of hate, and they fed on the suffering of others, or on the bullying of those weaker than them, or simple callousness and greed for whatever extra they would be able to get with so many minorities out of their way.

Do you not think that if a God of love/mercy/justice/peace showed up right now that there would be people who say, 'screw that, I want to do things my way?' Or 'I don't want to share' ? There are many people who have wealth to an excess and don't care about the little guy dying in the street because he hasn't eaten in a week. They don't want to give up what's theirs.

That's all I meant.

Tammy

• tec
    tec
    My thinking wasn't that God would show up one day out of the blue like an estranged father, but that he would've made his prescence known - to at least two or three of our five senses - from the very beginning. Then there would've been no shock.

Gotcha... though I am tempted to say that we have forgotten to use the senses (spirit) that He gave us to hear Him, and instead rely only on those scientifically proven five.

But it also doesn't address that knowing of Him and His existence does not mean that someone will love Him, follow Him, or love others.

Tammy

• trevor
    trevor

SweetBabyCheezits

Thank you for your comments. I seldom debate it seldom leads to answers. I found that other motives were woven into my desire to debate. Ego, pride, anger and so on. In the end we believe what we want to. In some ways, I envy people their faith but as you said, 'As for me and my household, we shall believe on reason and evidence.'

I have an interest in Zen Buddhism and Tao but it is just an interest; part of a philosophical approach to life without too many sharp edges.

Anyway, I had better stop there or or it will be a 'never-ending story.'

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Allow me to pontificate ;)

If God chose to make himself know AS UBER GOD and not as he did through Jesus ( and there was a reason he did it through his son), our free will would be compromised, just as it would be if a man put a gun to your head and said, give me your money or I will shoot you- the choice is still there ( if you can call it a choice) but it is compromised.

God comes into this world in his omnipotent glory, there is no doubt that God IS GOD, then all he would command would be just that and not done because we love God, but because GOD SAID SO and that hasn't really worked down the ages, has it?

God knows this, hence His Word came to us.

God so loved us that he CAME DOWN TO US as ONE of Us, let that sink it for a bit.

God doesn't want obdience out of fear or out of the fact that He is God, if he did, what use is His Grace?

Love can't be forced, can't be legislated, can't be commanded, it must be freely given.

When Jesus repeated to the Jews the commandment of Love your God and Love your neighbour, he was speaking to them on their terms with their laws and then what did he do? Go beyond that and teach them beyond that.

God wants us to knwo him but being God, he knows that he just can't come "crashing in", so he waits for us to be ready for Him.

He sent his son, His very Word to help us, to lead us, to guid us, but to NOT force us.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

This thread started promisingly but has once again descended into a mass of bumble fart.

I am tempted to say that we have forgotten to use the senses (spirit) that He gave us to hear Him

There is no spiritual sense. A sense requires a physical input device to capture physical input, convert that external, physical input into chemical or electrical signals that are then interpreted by the brain. Beyond the five regular senses there is the sense of pain, sense of temperature, sense of balance etc. What marks these out as important is that a particluar organ or sensory area is directly mapped to the brain. When you start talking about a sensory system to capture supernatural , non-physical, stimuli and convert that into electrical signals you must accept you are talking la la. If there was a physical 'god vibration' then many scientists would be chasing research to capture it - backed by billions of dollars of donations from believers - this would be proof of god!

It is an established fact however, that people , especially those so brainwashed and emotionally invested in a concept, can perceive an alternate reality from similar sensory output that is not warranted by reality and which is not perceived by the majority (watch a ' Beautiful Mind' as an extreme example.)

God knows this, hence His Word came to us.
    God so loved us that he CAME DOWN TO US as ONE of Us, let that sink it for a bit.

The Jesus story shows does not include him coming down for you :Then Jesus said to the woman, "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep--the people of Israel." Let that sink in a bit.

If he was a god (he wasnt by the way but I'll indulge) he could never ever be 'one of us' unless you are claiming to be godlike. No more than a wolf dressed as a sheep is one of the sheep.

Love can't be forced, can't be legislated, can't be commanded, it must be freely given.
    When Jesus repeated to the Jews the commandment of Love your God and Love your neighbour,

Can you see what you just wrote there? Even though you tried to pull it back with sophistry of your own making, your argument was shot to ribbons the moment you said this. The God of your bible clearly mandates that you must love him and no other god otherwise you are going to be eternally punished. No amount of tautology can hide this central theme of the bible.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The Jesus story shows does not include him coming down for you :Then Jesus said to the woman, "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep--the people of Israel." Let that sink in a bit.

I have, it has. He did and then blessed us all, the NT also says that to by the way.

If he was a god (he wasnt by the way but I'll indulge) he could never ever be 'one of us' unless you are claiming to be godlike. No more than a wolf dressed as a sheep is one of the sheep.

Not sure what your mean here, sorry.

Can you see what you just wrote there? Even though you tried to pull it back with sophistry of your own making, your argument was shot to ribbons the moment you said this. The God of your bible clearly mandates that you must love him and no other god otherwise you are going to be eternally punished. No amount of tautology can hide this central theme of the bible.

You are quite correct that ancient man viewed God in that way, that in his falliable way he viewed God as demanding that he be loved.

Jesus cleared that up for us all, again a progressive revelation of God.

Jesus accomodate the views that he was faced with, took them and went beyond them to the correct way and we cna see examples of that in Matthew 5:21-48 where Jesus quotes a "law" or saying and then takes it to the next level.

I have never felt a mandate that forced me to Love God, nor have I ever feared God or been swayed by "eternal punishment", Have you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit