After a Lifetime Wasted on Atheism - He Finally Gets It

by Perry 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1e4FUhfHiU&feature=player_detailpage

I wonder if he offered an apology to all the people he helped deceive over the past 50 years?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Isn't this the man with dementia that some theists have befriended and taken advantage of?

• wobble
    wobble

He offers nothing but his own "belief", no solid reasons, just that it seems so to him.

It strikes me that in later life Anthony Flew got too lazy to look at all the arguments and reasons why most philosophers and scientists do not feel it is necessary that there was an intelligence behind the coming of the Universe, or of life on Earth.

I am not rabidly against the idea of I.D, but one thing I do know, if that intelligence exists, or existed, it is not the God of the Bible.

• whereami
    whereami

He rejects the ideas of an afterlife, of God as the source of good (he explicitly states that God has created "a lot of" evil), and of the resurrection of Jesus as a historical fact though he has allowed a short chapter arguing for Christ's resurrection to be added into his latest book. [5]

Flew was particularly hostile to Islam, and said it is "best described in a Marxian way as the uniting and justifying ideology of Arab imperialism." [5] In a December 2004 interview he said: "I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins". [14]

When asked in December 2004 by Duncan Crary of Humanist Network News if he still stood by the argument presented in The Presumption of Atheism, Flew replied he did but he also restated his position as deist: "I'm quite happy to believe in an inoffensive inactive god". When asked by Crary whether or not he has kept up with the most recent science and theology, he responded with "Certainly not", stating that there is simply too much to keep up with. Flew also denied that there was any truth to the rumours of 2001 and 2003 that he had converted to Christianity. [19]

Do you agree with him now Perry?

• Perry
    Perry

Appparently it took decades and millions of tax-payer dollars so that shortly before his death he could admit that the complexity of life puts the lie to atheism and that there had to be a creator.

Unfortunately he didn't have another 85 years to ponder the question of whether or not God judges or enables evil. For, if there is a Creator as he concluded, he must do one of the two.

• wobble
    wobble

"the complexity of life puts the lie to Atheism" ???????

Atheism, without getting this thread in to an interminable debate about definitions, is simply non-belief in God (s).

Atheism cannot lie. It could be wrong, but that is different, but it needs to be proved wrong, not just labeled as wrong.

As I said above, a host of scientists and philosophers do not believe in God, ( or a Creator God anyway), because there is no proof, not even logic will get you there, unless you divorce logic from facts and reality, in other words, unless you simply wish to believe without reason.

Belief in God is fine if you want to do it, but without proof, it is just irrational.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

It's possible that a Creator exists. It's not certain at all, but it's possible. But who says it has to be a living being? So, Perry, what are you trying to prove? What is unprovable cannot be proven. So, this Anthony...Flew to theism. So what?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

So what if there is a creator, Perry?

Even if there was, it doesn't have to be one of the judgemental pricks dreamed up by control freaks.

• Perry
    Perry

Black Sheep You hypocrite! Do you not judge?

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

And what if he judges? Who says we cannot judge?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit