Jehovah's Witnesses - Once Again the Fastest Growing Faith in the U.S.

by davidl7 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The NCCCUSA 2010 report says this:

Other churches that continued to post membership gains in 2010 are Jehovah's Witnesses, up 2 percent to 1,092,169 members ....

The WWR has the increase as 4.4%

I would suggest that the NCCCUSA needs to upgrade their data entry skills.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

According to what nugget said, if a man starts a new religion and if in the next year he converts his wife, it means that religion had an increase rate of 100%. The rate of increase of the JW numbers may be 4%, but the net increase is not that much, since they are only 7 millions.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I hear this all the time on this forum: Witnesses aren't really growing, it's only immigrants that are joining. Do immigrants not count or something? Other churches also benefit from the higher religiosity of immigrants, yet they are doing comparatively worse overall than JWs.

The population of America and European countries in their entirety are impacted by immigration, so it is no surprise that immigration also impacts JW growth. Saying that JWs are only growing because of immigrants is not the convincing put down some people seem to take it for.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

1154275 members in 2009
    + 35120 baptisms
    = 1189395 expected members
    - 11894 Deaths at 1%
    = 1177501 expected members
    - 1178349 actual 2010 members
    = (very roughly) 848 extra publishers, over and above the expected increase, in the good ol' USA.

We like to think we are helping people out and that the tide might be turning against the WT, but according to my calculation, (and I hope it's wrong), smacking 'weak in the faith' JWs with doctrine, false prophesies, pedos', NGO, COC, JWN, JWFacts, Six Screens, etc is scaring more back in than it's getting out.

I know that when I first found out the truth about the Truth, I scared the devil into my family. A freshly exiting Apostate is probably the least qualified person to extract their own family members.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Who cares if they grow, shrink, or stay the same? Does any of this validate their doctrines or policies?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I agree with Room 215

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

From the sheer perspective of numbers, recruiting immigrants is relevant indeed. They count as any others.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Does any of this validate their doctrines or policies?

No arguments there!

Who cares if they grow, shrink, or stay the same?

I do. I guess I have a morbid fascination with JW growth. On an individual basis I think that every JW who gains the knowledge and courage to walk away from the Watchtower is a small personal victory. But I find the phenomenon of a small religious group bucking the trend of secularization interesting.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Like Randy Watters says, "Cults work."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit