Jehovah's Witnesses - Once Again the Fastest Growing Faith in the U.S.

by davidl7 99 Replies latest jw friends

• davidl7
    davidl7

Just N from Bethel : "Uhhh - when's the last time you went to a meeting? What about during CO visit? Know what attendence ratios are? think they're 200% like you claim? Try again. How about - 150%? Wrong again.

Sunday barely gets 90% while the newly combined TMS/service/bookstudy is still ekeing out 75, maybe 80%. Spanish might be a little higher - but I promise you this - it ain't " 2 times higher than the number of publishers."

Well in the average attendance in the NY congregation that I attend was a 225 in 2010 and the average number of publishers is 91. That number of course, does not count the children who are preach but are still in training and are not counted...nor the new ones that are studying the Bible with the Witnesses, some of which are now preaching to the relatives. When I was in Dallas, I visited a congregation there. The attendance that Sunday was 389. My friend said attendance is usually averages about 330, and they have an 120 publishers. My London trip the December, I visited a congregagtion there during a Tuesday meeting...attendance that day was 161, and an elder told me they have 51 publishers...I don't have records for the other places visited this year, including a congregation in Montreal...And talking about the most recent CO visit, one of the points he mentioned was that many congregagtion are splitting up due to growth here in the US...so yea, the attendance figure is at least double than the number of publishers...

• davidl7
    davidl7

Jay 88 said

No one knows the correct pronounciation of the Jewish God 'Yahweh', and from what I have read the name Jehovah originated for the RCC, which derived from common names giving to god- adonai and elohim.
    The WTBTS themselves say in their literature that the use of the name is only because of its popularity and not for accuracy.
    I hope you plan to post more often, your post's are entertaining!

Some have pointed that the earliest pronounciation of the English form Jehovah was by Raymond Martin in his Pugio Fidei. Raymond was a Catholic priest...however, that does not negate the fact that the name was found in a similar form in earlier times...The book A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel-Points and Accents, by John Gill, states that the name was pronounced in a similar way as "Jehovah" as far back as 120 AD by the Zohar and the Karaites (a Jewish sect). According to him, Origin (250 AD) and Jerome (380 AD), used a form similar to Jehovah, not Yahweh. (see http://books.google.com/books?id=59wOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA429#v=onepage&q&f=false). In fact the modern day Keraite Jews say Jehovah is the true pronounciation (see http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf).

Yes, but what the WT has quoted in the past, were individuals such as Rotherman which stated that "Yahweh is the MORE CORRECT" way of pronouncing the name. The WT publishes were inclined to that view...but it implied that Jehovah was correct in some sense. And it clearly stated that the form Jehovah retains the 4-letters of the divine name JHVH (YHWH). And, the WT literature, while not attacking the form Yahweh, as always pointed that the pronounciation is believed to be unknown, even though some scholars prefer Yahweh, while others suggest Jehovah. If we can use the name Jesus, the name we must use to be reconciled with the Father, then we can certainly use the name Jehovah, which according to Nehemia Gordon, a Karaite scholar who helped translate the Dead Sea Scrolls, is pronounced as "it is written", Yahovah. (Matt. 6:9; John 17:6, 26; Ps. 83:18; Exo. 3:14,15)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Indeed it is ironic that JWs may have turned out to be correct about the pronunciation of Jehovah after all.

I am looking forward to the day a NT fragment is discovered with the divine name. I believe it was probably in at least some of the original books of the NT. The NT manuscript evidence may surface one day.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@david17-

I have seen the tetragrammatton vowel pointed to read "Yehovah" numerous times myself in Hebrew prayer books and in a Hebrew book my sister recieved.

Anyone who does not want to use the pronounciation Jehovah should not use Jesus or Moses either. We KNOW the correct Hebrew pronounciations of those names but we use the English ones anyway.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

David said:

Well in the average attendance in the NY congregation that I attend was a 225 in 2010 and the average number of publishers is 91. That number of course, does not count the children who are preach but are still in training and are not counted...nor the new ones that are studying the Bible with the Witnesses, some of which are now preaching to the relatives. When I was in Dallas, I visited a congregation there. The attendance that Sunday was 389. My friend said attendance is usually averages about 330, and they have an 120 publishers.

OMG - please stop, stop, if I laugh any harder I'll wake the neighbors. [Panting for about 10 minutes .. catches breath.. breaks out into hysterical laughter again for another 15 minutes ... ok, ok, I'm good, I've got it under control ... nope ... holding it - holding it - Bwahahaha - breaks out again into more uncontrollable laughter... for another 30 minutes ... laughing so hard I'm crying now - wife wants to know what's wrong... Finally eases - and definitely stopped now. ok good for the time being as long as I don't read the post again]

Seriously - you are a joke. One thing for sure, if your #s are off even off by 50% it's still too high - but if the avg. attendence is higher than pubs I know one thing for absolute certain, especially in Dallas, here is the fact: wait for it, wait for it: these are not English congregations. Probably spanish and you're leaving that out.

Let's do some quick math here: for the congregation you attend, you say you have near 250% attendence. Now lets look at 2010 US memorial attendance: the meeting where the attendants count all the neighbors and DFd children's babies who only go that meeting, and that meeting alone; hell they even count the picketing apostates like Rick Koolaid Man... let's see - I haven't looked yet - looking now ... right at, not 250% not 230% not even 220% but just eked out at 210%! This is from the website www.watchtower.org for 2010. So you say - your cong averages 250% when the rest of the country's memorial attendance isn't even near what your congregation averages???? Then you go on to say that you visit US congregations that are similar or greater than yours in average attendance - but the watchtower claims that they don't even get those numbers in the US for their biggest meeting of the year - the memorial???

Look I still am in contact with multiple COs and bethelites. They all say the same thing - English attendance in the US is down - even after cutting bookstudy. There are several active elders on here that will confirm. Spanish is up though, but that just confirms my point doesn't it? Without the immigrant population, particulary hispanics in the US, JWs growth would be negative - just like Japan. Japan's growth has stopped and will never get bigger, which is interesting because you would think a religion in all countries could at least keep up with population growth. Thanks to immigration growth in the US, and the JWs push to jump on them like fish in a barrel, the JWs have continued to grow. But the quality of their members is not the same. You can't even get the average Spanish JW to explain some basic JW teachings like how 1914 is calculated. I know, because a spanish CO recently said to me how he enjoyed having some deep discussions with me, because he just can't really do that with the friends in the Spanish. They haven't "spiritually matured" enough were his words.

But I'm glad you posted what you did. You seem to like pulling numbers out of your butt. Your last comment about attendance in the US shows you don't even think the watchtower numbers are right.

Oh and as for your college professors that became a JW - that's not really that impressive - there will always be those on the extreme side of things, even in college. Here are a few examples of college professors who do not impress me:

Ted Kaczynski

and

Amy Bishop

What we know as a fact - with the exception of a few extreme "I'm-acedemically-capable-but-still-need-to-be-in-a-cult" individuals, the vast majority of growth comes from those immigrants unable to access and process information that otherwise competent people do when they are asked at the door to look into JWs.

Anyway, glad I was able to help you get your facts straight. I gotta stop now, cause I feel another laugh attack coming on the more I try not to think about your ridiculous post. [Holding it ... Walking away .. thinking of Margaret Thatcher ... I'm walking. I'm walking]

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s.. McDonalds..

7 million served.. Over 60 Billion served..

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/KingdomHall.jpg http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mcdonalds-1.jpg

It takes a Roomfull of WBT$ GB Clowns.. It only takes One Clown..

To run the WBT$.. To run McDonalds..

http://blogs.sj-r.com/offtheclock/wp-content/uploads/Ronald-McDonald2-186x300.jpg

McDonalds is Run Better than the WBT$..

McDonalds has Better Growth than the WBT$..

By WBT$ Reasoning..

"McDonalds" must be "Gods Only True Organization"..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• wasblind
    wasblind

Can't nobody do it like The Outlaw !!!!

• jay88
    jay88

davidi7-If we can use the name Jesus, the name we must use to be reconciled with the Father, then we can certainly use the name Jehovah, which according to Nehemia Gordon, a Karaite scholar who helped translate the Dead Sea Scrolls, is pronounced as "it is written", Yahovah

You can not compare the tetragrammaton(considered sacred), to a very common name Jesus or Yahshua.

Yahshua/Yeshua we know how to pronounce, the tetragrammaton we don't---apple to oranges.

• wobble
    wobble

It is like a lot of Bible stuff people get fixated on , it really doesn't matter how the tetragrammaton was pronounced, even if we knew the "original" pronunciation, (when was that by the way, by Adam ?, I doubt it) the pronunciation would have changed naturally by today anyway.

It is also a total misunderstanding by the WT/JW's of the use of names in scripture, and I can see no justification for using what is just one of the "names" of God in preference to any other.

Almighty God does not have a personal name, like you may be Lars or Alice or something, why would the Supreme Being need an "earthly" name ?

So you can say "Morning Jah" to him as you would a neighbour ?

Unless you are creating a God according to your liking perhaps. "We had better think up a name for him unless he gets confused as to who he is."

• jay88
    jay88

wobble-Unless you are creating a God according to your liking perhaps. "We had better think up a name for him unless he gets confused as to who he is."

I feel the same way. You have a religion built on a name, and that name is suppose to be evidence of "True Worship"?

What ever true worship is,...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit