JWs Celebrating Brithdays

by Franklin Massey 42 Replies latest jw friends

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

It's a very close member of my family's birthday today. I am not in a position to celebrate it at present. Sadly, I can't even let them know how I feel about it (not sure how they would respond) but every piece of me wants to. The birthday thing is a total heap of crap.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This brings me to Christmas and the incarnation of Christ. Only they don't believe in God made Flesh. I do. It was so painful not celebrating birthdays. My mom would sneak a b'day celebration for us. She would get us cupcakes and hide the little candles. There is actually photographic evidence of my self around three, wearing a pointed birthday cap with a cupcake. The hush, hush, don't tell your father or we will beat attitude was confusing.

It was agony to watch the kids celebrate their birthdays. We looked like orpahsn. I go ape over birthday and Christmas celebrations to this day. B/c of sad circumstances, I don't have my own family. Celebrating by myself is a big deal. I could go on but people would not be here unless they knew.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I knew an elder in New Zealand who celebrated birthdays, be it only by sending cards to his family.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

"The happiest days of our lives include the births of our children."

I love that comment, it really hit home. The Watchtower says we should celebrate the day of one's death, as that is when the name they have made before God is finalised. What screwed up reasoning. The birth of my child was the best day of my life and I want to remember and celebrate it. How am I supposed to tell him I don't want to celebrate his birth just incase he goes off the rails in the future.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

For me it's waaayyyyyy too late... I can't be bothered.
    It's such a crime, though, to impose such misery and drudgery on innocent children! It's awful for a child to grow up not knowing the meaning of fun, the meaning of celebration, the meaning of pure joy. I'll admit it; I grew up emotionally crippled in that respect and I fear that damage will remain with me for the rest of my days....

V665V665

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...The Society currently uses the "principle" that because there were two unrelated events that had a bad outcome this event must be condemned by Jehovah. As a "principle", it now has to be used unilaterally to be valid. So taking this to its logical conclusion, any two events which had a bad outcome must be condemned by Jehovah. ..."
    "Let's see... Lot's children had a large dinner party & they all died. Jesus Christ had a large dinner party & was cruficied. So consequently, all large dinner parties are condemned by Jehovah..."

Mr. Quick, I am marking this thread primarily for that comment!!

• pbrow
    pbrow

Just celebrated both of my childrens birthdays for the first time this year! My youngests' first comment when I told her that she could celebrate it was "well, noone will get there head cut off"

My wife and I were very nervous that there was going to be a gruesome accident in front of the chucky cheese during her b-day party and spoil it for her forever!

One year older, no accident, no lost heads and one extremely excited and happy little girl!

Life is good

• dozy
    dozy

A lot of JWs (especially those with children) don't really go along with all the "banning of birthdays" stuff but keep it discreet. Of those that are quite open about it , I know a JW couple who always go out for a big meal on each others birthday (he is a an elder) and give each other presents. Another family gives presents to all their children on December 28th (so that they can pick up cheap presents in the boxing day sales) - presents are all wrapped , everybody gets cards etc - essentially it is a substitute christmas celebration.

A family "present day" for each member (though not on their birthdays) is very popular - some even quote Job's example to give it a kind of "biblical" basis. And anniversaries are a big thing in the JW world - gifts , sometimes quite lavish family or congregation get-togethers , lots of cards - essentially it is a birthday / xmas substitution.

What I especially find puzzling is that part of the WTBTS justification for a ban is that birthdays give undue prominence to an individual. On the same basis , anniversaries should be banned. And on the same basis , how do they justify the constant eulogising of the governing body in Watchtower publications and funeral leaflets when they die speaking about their certain resurrection to everlasting life in heaven.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Nutty, nutty, nutty to say the least. My oldest daughter is turning 5 this year and my wife wants to throw her a party (I mean, who wouldn't). She has ideas on what she wants to do but cannot execute them, luckily she has me.

I cannot imagine going through that kind of hell, while yet I am in my own kind of hell.

Around Halloween, churches have what they call 'fall festivals.' I use to understand and agree with their principles but after watching dubs do all these mental gymnastics to have fun on the holidays without appearing to have fun, I find it all hypocritical. Who do these people think they are fooling when they have 'special days' around birthdays, 'yearly gifts' around Christmas time, and 'fall festivals' around Halloween? God? Excuse me for a second, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can't even fool us or the other people in the world.

Of course, if you tell a dub this they just all of a sudden get a VERY guilty conscious believing they are 'stumbling' someone and then go into extreme cult mode.

Personally, I celebrate them all including Halloween and I don't care who sees me do it. Do I really think I can celebrate in 'secret' when God is suppose to see all? Besides, what is a true test of character anyway?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

dozy - "What I especially find puzzling is that part of the WTBTS justification for a ban is that birthdays give undue prominence to an individual."

That was the "official" reason.

The actual reason was to limit JWs' association with non-JW family and friends, to - in effect - separate (i.e. alienate) them further from the "World".

Can't have the R&F start thinking that life outside the hermetic seal of the WTS might actually be worth living, now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit