Crazy Is Flirting a Sin? Q & A

by Iamallcool 22 Replies latest social relationships

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Christianity -- Christian Living /is flirting a sin

Advertisement

Expert: Phillip Senn - 10/10/2008

Question
    is flirting a sin, and does it grieve the Holy Spirit?

flirtatious behaviour such as deliberately stimulating attraction for the opposite sex. through speech, eye contact, mannerism and body language?

Answer
    Any person that flirts with another, also flirts with the danger of causing another to sin. If we lust after another that we are not married to, we commit adultery in our hearts. Those that would use flirtatious means of attraction, are causing a brother or sister to stumble, and therefore would be a sin.

With Love In Christ,
    Phillip Senn
  • wobble
    wobble

Sounds like a WT answer to the question. I do believe it makes a valid point, that if you engage in flirting you should be aware of where it may lead.

Of course, it may lead to exactly where you want to go !

But also be aware that if you are just flirting for entertainment, you could easily end up hurting the recipient, which whether you believe in the bible or a God or not, harming another wilfully is wrong.

• trevor
    trevor

All of life's great pleasures are sins. Flirting is no exception. That's why I'm a committed sinner.

I don't believe that flirting grieves Holy Spirit, whatever that is, but it does grieve my wife.

And that is far more dangerous.

• WhatAboutWatson
    WhatAboutWatson

Flirting is not a sin and should never be considered a sin. This is coming from someone though who does it daily and has yet to be struck by lightning, thrown off a cliff into hell, or attended a tea party event with Adam and Eve.

But if you want to look at as sinful, than my [insert higher power here] I am one of the elite members and proudly so.

If flirting leads to sex, you sir/she, have successfully flirted your way to becoming a smooth criminal.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I don't view it as "sinful", but I do view it as problematic. For one thing, I can't seem to tell whether I'm being flirted with or whether she's just being nice and maybe a bit gregarious. I think some women (and men) get labeled as flirtatious when in fact they are simply friendly. That's why I've soured on it over the years. Unless both people are definitely trying to send a signal that they want to date, I just don't see the value of it.

I realize that some people just want to flirt in order to put a 'feeler' out, to see whether someone might be interested. That's fine, but I think that, unless it's an unmistakable signal, it can be misconstrued. And worse yet is when friendliness is mistaken as flirting.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Rocketman, I think I am one of those woman. Friendly and inquisitive, and it has bit me in the butt before, because people have misconstrued my real intentions.

As far as a sin, it is not a nice thing if you are PURPOSELY trying to harm someone by your behavior and you know it. Just my 2 cents.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    If we lust after another that we are not married to, we commit adultery in our hearts

Just so I understand, is it still adultery if the one we lust after is NOT married, and we are NOT married? Or, is the act of lust enough to up the ante to adultery from simple fornication? Can I catch a disease from lusting? How about if I wear a rubber hat? What if I flirt but stop just short of lusting? Would that just be loose conduct or brazenous? If someone's wife or husband lusts after another, does that free the innocent mate up for a scriptural divorce?

A few years ago, I had a very friendly man making conversation and joking around with me. Since most of my association was at the KH, it took me 20 minutes to figure out he was flirting. If I am only the object of the flirter, does that make me a sinner too?

• gutted
    gutted

The way I see it:

If you're a diehard Christian you're better off not flirting.

If you're a normal human being and single, have fun

• minimus
    minimus

I am a very bad sinner.

• tiki
    tiki

Ahhh....flirting. Can lead to sexual contact. The perpetrator or perpatratee may have an STD.....a hitherto clean body can become sullied and have to seek medical attention. Herpitical erputions could occur. More meds. Could become mortally dangerous.

Stifle that first wink. Splash cold water on the nether regions if afflicted. Never, ever flirt. Can be the first step in a path to eternal destruction and damnation. Plus.....if a JW, could result in a meeting with a committee hell-bent on committing you to Gehenna or worse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit