So Caitlin isn't ignored as the other kids pass Valentines at school

by cabasilas 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

What a great Teacher ! It is a good lesson for her students too . It is good for them to think of ways to show acceptance and kindness . I hope the JW little girl will be thrilled and happy to know her classmates love her too .

• Ding
    Ding

The teacher is going out of her way to make Caitlin feel included, but I wouldn't be surprised if the WTS didn't find fault with this.

Remember their attitude toward JWs telling a judge they would accept alternative service as part of a sentence for refusing the military draft.

That was considered compromising one's integrity by making a deal.

I could see the WTS saying that accepting ANY cards or presents at or near a holiday or birthday is compromising.

At the same time, they will complain about worldlies "persecuting" JW children because of their faith.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sounds like Caitlin has a wonderful, caring teacher. I remember dreading all the holidays and celebrations as a kid, I felt so isolated.

This has brought a tear to my eye.

• snowbird
    snowbird

What a beautiful person is Caitlin's teacher!

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This teacher sounds like a lovely human being.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I agree with Ding. This teacher is setting herself up for a lawsuit - whether or not it wins is another question. As laudable as her efforts are; the parents may be extra mad that Caitlin was "sort of" included by recieving a card and friendship on the day of cards and friendship. Perhaps they want Caitlin to feel like a persecuted Christian in the land of evil Romans on such a Roman holiday. Before you give Caitlin the cards, I suggest you talk to the School Board's attorney.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Well, Caitlin didn't come to school today. Some of her classmates said that Caitlin has said she wanted to come to the party and would be there. But, she didn't come. We don't know the reason but our guess was the parents decided to keep her home today because of the festivities. But, that's only a guess. To be honest, that might have been the best course. Even though she'd get some neutral friendship cards it was a Valentine's Day party most of the afternoon with morning activities of Valentine's Day Math and presentations of their card holders that they crafted. So, it could have been uncomfortable for her if she tried to hoe the JW line on the holiday. The rest of us had great fun, however. Caitlin will get her cards tomorrow.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

That's a lovely idea.

When I was a kid, for some weird reason, I got the odd valentine's card anyway... but I was always puzzled when it happened...

V665V665

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am in tears. What a wonderful teacher. I always felt like I was committing a crime or worse yet, a communist when I did not participate. My mom refused to let me miss school days. Illness was the only excuse. Our JW practice was inconsistent. I wish we were another religion. If we had to be JW, I am grateful for the days she looked the other way.

We could show her stuff but my dad would kill us. An outstanding memory occurred when I was five. He yelled at my younger bro and I that there was no Santa Claus. He took a regular white work sock out of the drawer and hung it on a doorknob. Declaring that Santa Claus would not come, we were chastised. It hurt so much. Of course, it was not a stocking and we had no fireplace - essentials for Santa Clause. It was very cruel and over the top, considering our ages. Later in the week, we trotted off to library school which included a trip to the local firehouse. Guess who was there? My brother's eyes popped out. He ran home all the way, screaming to my Mom that we did see Santa Claus! I knew it was a fireman but I chose not to inform him.

The worst Christmas ever was the year we visited a neighbor at the neighbor's insistence. They knew we did not celebrate Christmas. Their kids had a big tree, replete with many gifts. We had almost no toys. My bro and I sat under their tree, holding their toys, and they took photos. After a few minutes, we returned home without toys. Not even underwear or a toothbrush. I hate that family to this very day. The ache remains keen.

A teacher can't know every permutation of a family's belief. She honored it in the broad outline. I don't think it is her duty to ferret out the parent's wishes. My mom was expelled from high school b/c of the flag salute issue. Her mom would have beat her to a pulp if she saluted. The school ousted her. The Supreme Court only ruled that if parents were punished, it was unconst'l. They never addressed the student punishment. It seems that the child is the hostage. So the state will intervene to prevent death but not for an education. What if an Amish child wanted to finish school?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think you're right about the reason Caitlin may have been kept home. My 10 year son told me that a couple of his schoolmates (whose parents are jws) went home early today, mostlikely to avoid the Valentine festivities that happened later in the school day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit