Does John 3:16- disprove core JW beliefs

by elderelite 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

elderelite: May I suggest something for you next Bible reading?

Please read the ENTIRE Book of Galations in one sitting.

Reflect upon it. Then ask yourself this question: Has the Governing Body ever read this book? The entire book is a passionate refutation of the "salvation by works" mentality that is the very heartbeat of WT.

Asimov once said, " . . .properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." His statement, IMHO, is even more so true when strictly focused on works-based, authoritarian cults.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Nice job, EE. Read 1John 5:1 too. This single verse could replace the entire "What does God require" brochure. It says the 1 thing he requires in this single verse.

"Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God."

But JWs say that the only ones born of God (or born again) are the 144,000. This is serious because being born of God is the only way into the Kingdom.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I'm am so glad to see that the consensus here is that we are all saved.

I would take it a step further and say we were never lost. Only trapped in a primeval world during its painstakingly long evolutionary process.

A rare true statement from an otherwise disingenuous and extraneous Bible book:

"God desires ALL to attain to repentance."

If you know the True God, you know that he ALWAYS gets what he wants, in the end.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I simply adore the Book of John. Similar to the Book of Galatians, try and read it all in one sitting. It might make your head spin.

My new favourite passage in John is John 1:12,13 (NWT) ;

"However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority [the "right" in HCSB] to become God’s children, because they were exercising faith in his name; 13 and they were born, not from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God."

Keeping in mind the contents of the entire first chapter, by whose authority could Jesus hand adoptive sonships out to people? That blew my mind.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The Book of John runs totally contrary to everything JW's teach.. all right there, black and white.. my God what deception.

Yes, it does.

That is the book that helped most to open my eyes.

When I read in John where Jesus of Nazareth stated that He wouldn't reject anyone who came to Him, I cried tears of pure joy.

John 6:35 -38 Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don't really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me. The Message Bible

John 14:21 "The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that's who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and make myself plain to him."

22 Judas (not Iscariot) said, "Master, why is it that you are about to make yourself plain to us but not to the world?"

23 -24 "Because a loveless world," said Jesus, "is a sightless world. If anyone loves me, he will carefully keep my word and my Father will love him—we'll move right into the neighborhood! Not loving me means not keeping my words. The message you are hearing isn't mine. It's the message of the Father who sent me." The Message Bible

I used to wonder why the WT avoided that book.

Now, I know!

Syl

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@elderelite:

John 3:16 refers to EVERYONE gaining everlasting life.

The "world" of which Jesus spoke would be those human beings counted worthy of redemption based on whether they show appreciation for the gift of God's son as their ransomer in their exercising faith in the ransom through their actions by the way in which they live their lives. Obviously, Jesus could not have been referring to everyone.

These verses have NOTHING to do with pandas and tigers and people living on earth forever even as JW's teach it... they clearly say EVERYONE gets the same hope... the fraud is SO clear when free of the cult mentality, and yet if I showed this to my wife, she would recoil. but its so clear. EVERYONE gets everlasting life, not EVERYONE gets everlasting life BUT some on earth, some in heaven...

You are mixing things up here. You are trying to make Jesus say something to Nicodemus here at John 3:16 about everyone having the same hope, when Jesus wasn't speaking to him at all about an earthly hope or a heavenly hope. Maybe it would be good for you to share this perspective of yours with your wife, for I suspect you would more likely listen to her than to me.

Then when you read along and you get to Jesus saying he has others who are not of this flock, he says they become ONE flock, one [shepherd]. NOT one flock two hopes, the whole point was unity. One flock, one [shepherd]. Everyone treated the same... The Book of John runs totally contrary to everything JW's teach.. all right there, black and white.. my God what deception.

It would seem that you are now referring to Jesus' words about the three sheepfolds in John chapter 10, but I know that when you read this passage, you will likely only discern the mention of two sheepfolds, but there are, in fact, three mentioned there, and of the three, the last one he mentions is described as being "not of this fold," as to which you, for some reason, have read as "not of this flock."

As to this third "fold" or "sheepfold" that is "not of this [second] fold," Jesus refers to them as his "other sheep," and goes on to say that these "other sheep" of this third sheepfold would become one flock with those of this second sheepfold under him, as their "one shepherd." This is what is written in "black and white" at John 10:1-16. The "unity" that exists between the two "folds" has to do with both "folds" being "one flock, one shepherd."

As you continue to read just a chapter over, we come to the account of the samaritian woman at the well. Jesus tells her that who ever drinks the water I will give him will never get thirsty at all, but the water i will give him will become in him a fountain of water bubbling up to impart everlasting life...

Wait a second!!!!!!! according to dubbie theology, only the [anointed] "have a [fountain] of water bubbling up from within"... its what they describe as [immortality]. 144,000 only. I'm sure blondie or others can supply appropriate quotes, but that is current teaching. Only the [anointed] have that life within themselves. if we let the bible interpret itself EVERYONE gets that [fountain] bubbling from within! and yet, we use that to convince people of life forever on earth. Complete fraud!

Actually, this water that "bubbles up to impart everlasting life" is the same water mentioned by John at Revelation 21:6, where Jehovah God refers to the same "fountain" with the words, "To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free," and to prove that Jesus was not saying that this fountain was for just the anointed, Revelation 22:17 refers to the "bride" as saying, "Let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life's water free."

As to this "water" to which Jesus refers during his conversation with the Samaritan woman at John 4:14, it represents provision God makes for the restoration of all mankind to everlasting life through faith in His gift of the ransom, regardless of one's "hope," for it is not likely that Jesus would have been discussing a heavenly hope with her any more so than he would have been discussing the heavenly hope during his conversation with Nicodemus at John 3:1-21. The very first time anyone was made aware of a heavenly hope was on Pentecost in 33 AD when the holy spirit was first poured out upon Jesus' disciples in that upper room in Jerusalem. (Acts 2:1-4)

You should never attempt to teach anyone unless you first come to know what things the Bible teaches. You are all tied up in knots in ridiculous ideas based on scriptures that Jehovah's Witnesses use all of the time, which scriptures that you clearly don't understand.

@GOrwell:

My new favourite passage in John is John 1:12,13 (NWT) ;

"However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority [the "right" in HCSB] to become God’s children, because they were exercising faith in his name; 13 and they were born, not from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God."

Keeping in mind the contents of the entire first chapter, by whose authority could Jesus hand adoptive sonships out to people? That blew my mind.

What exactly was it in John 1:12, 13, that "blew your mind"? Jesus didn't hand out "adoptive sonships" to anyone. You would have this passage at John 1:12, 13, say something that it really doesn't say, but let me point out to you that the phrase, "as many as did receive him" at verse 12 is not referring to you or to anyone other than the Jews, since this passage at John 1:11-13, starting at verse 11, says, "[Jesus] came to his own home, but his own people did not take him in." So at verse 13, Jesus is talking about fellow Jews, "his own people."

As to exactly who it was John 1:12, 13, is referring to that gave authority to "his own people" to become God's children, Ephesians 1:3-5 sheds light on the "he" in the phrase, "to them he gave authority" at John 1:12: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he ... foreordained us to the adoption through Jesus Christ as sons to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will." This "he" would be Jehovah God, and not the Lord Jesus Christ through whom the adoption as sons came.

@djeggnog

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    I would take it a step further and say we were never lost.

I wouldn't go that far ProdigalSon. Remember 1John makes a very clear distinction between those that are guided by the Spirit and those that are not.

1John 4:2,3 -

This is how you can recognise the Spirit of God: Every spirit
    that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is
    from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from
    God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard
    is coming and even now is already in the world.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    it is not likely that Jesus would have been discussing a heavenly hope with her any more so than he would have been discussing the heavenly hope during his conversation with Nicodemus at John 3:1-21.

Readers, please note that"not likely" are the operative words here.

Since, according to Revelation chapters 21 and 22, Heaven is coming to Earth, what would have prevented Jesus of Nazareth from discussing that hope with the Samaritan woman and Nicodemus?

Take off those WT specs and read the Bible for yourself.

Syl

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@snowbird:

Readers, please note that"not likely" are the operative words here.

And your point is...?

Since, according to Revelation chapters 21 and 22, Heaven is coming to Earth, what would have prevented Jesus of Nazareth from discussing that hope with the Samaritan woman and Nicodemus?

Why you begin this sentence with "Since, according to Revelation chapters 21 and 22..."? In a court of law, I would object on the ground that what you say here assumes facts not in evidence. If you are going to introduce "Heaven is coming to Earth" as a fact having scriptural support, then the onus is on you to be specific since Revelation chapters 21 and 22 contain 27 and 21 verses in them, respectively and while Revelation 20:2 does make reference to "holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God" and Revelation 20:10 does make reference to "the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God," there nothing at all contained in these 48 verses about "Heaven is coming to Earth."

Jesus never discussed the heavenly hope with either the Samaritan woman, who wasn't a Jew, nor to Nicodemus, who was not only a Jew, but one "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" to whom Jesus had been "sent forth" by God to preach the good news of the kingdom (Matthew 15:24), just as Martha had as yet been given no knowledge whatsoever about a heavenly hope since she it as that reminded Jesus before he resurrected her brother, Lazarus, that she knew that her brother would "rise in the resurrection on the last day" (John 11:24), since the only hope to which the Jews could relate before Pentecost was the earthly hope. (I believe I said this already in a previous post.)

Take off those WT specs and read the Bible for yourself.

I submit that the humility of a child, with an earnest desire to learn from a preacher (Romans 10:14), and good common sense would be useful tools to have for anyone that wishes to understand anything that one reads in the Bible. A preacher, not someone pretending to be a preacher, would know the underlying meaning of the Hebrew and Greek text as well as the Hebrew and Jewish idioms of speech as these were understood by those that spoke and wrote in the Hebrew and Greek tongue when these words were written, and would also understand the context in which certain Bible passages were written, but appreciate the nuances that are peculiar to the Hebrew and Greek languages that may not have been conveyed by the words used to translate the Hebrew and Greek text that appear in English-language Bible translations.

This isn't a court of law, but I object to anyone pretending to know something that clearly do not know. You didn't help @elderelite at all with this pretense of yours. What you introduced was a bit of confusion and I don't think it right that you would pretend to be backed up in some way by the Bible in what you posted when not even Allah, Vishnu or Satan himself (I don't mean to be redundant here in mentioning Satan) would back up what you told @elderelite. I try to avoid confusing folks if I am able. Here's my question to you, @snowbird: Are you confused?

@djeggnog

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

If you are going to introduce "Heaven is coming to Earth" as a fact having scriptural support, then the onus is on you to be specific since Revelation chapters 21 and 22 contain 27 and 21 verses in them, respectively and while Revelation 20:2 does make reference to "holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God" and Revelation 20:10 does make reference to "the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God," there nothing at all contained in these 48 verses about "Heaven is coming to Earth."

Wow, djegg. That shows a very clear Watchtower perspective and how they don't understand hermeneutics or exposition. Christians don't need to rely on "proof texts" like you and other JWs do. If you read ALL of Revelation (and especially 21,22) you will see that the end result of God's Kingdom is that He will LIVE among mankind. As the NWT says, "He will reside with them."

The New Jerusalem is the city of Heaven. It is Heaven itself. Jerusalem was where God's throne was located. So if you say that New Jerusalem is coming down out of Heaven and God will reside with men, then you have your answer.

What Syl said was EXACTLY correct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit