I am frustrated!

by JRK 18 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It is a dilemma. I have always assumed that any older than say 70 years old and it would a waste of time and/or unkind to try to unsettle a JW. But everyone is different.

• ambersun
    ambersun

JRK I really do sympathise with you, I know how difficult it can be trying to do the right thing for your Mum. If she raised the subject herself that is a different matter to you raising it, and all I can say is, pick your words carefully and if she gets distressed or refuses to acknowledge what you are saying just let it be and go and pour yourself a stiff drink or something. Take care

• flipper
    flipper

JRK- My JW dad and mom are 85 and 83 - as you know they have been JW's since 1951. It's too much time they have invested throughout their lives to admit the WT society is wrong NOW at this point in their life. With my folks health problems, especially my mom's mini-stroke episodes she would totally implode perhaps physically getting sick if she had to admit the WT society is wrong now. So I stay on NON-JW topics mostly with her.

Just let your mom have her illusions. If the stress of arguing with you on it got to her and she had a stroke or something - you'd REALLY feel worse than you already feel stressing yourself out and her as well arguing with her. Just let it go buddy. It's not worth it, especially due to being in close proximity with your mom every day. Pick topics you two can agree on - like how $hitty your east coast weather has been, family pets , what to eat for dinner, getting medical check-ups, planting a spring garden once the snow melts, you know- mundane normal life stuff. I'm sure you'll see your and her stress level diminish sooner. Just my 2 cents, Good luck, gotta run to work, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ditto to Flipper's comments, sort of....

Everyone involved deserves the truth about Jehovah's Witneses. YOu said your piece here and there and had a big say-so this time. Mom is so stuck in the cult that she rejects what you say. Now go and leave it.

It is extremely hard for many reasons. I get that JW's that don't agree with "us" feel that "we" are the problem. It's tough for me to think that my wife thinks that Satan's world has gotten to me. But I think that deep down, she really doesn't feel that way. Your mother may be doing something similar, but no matter what, she knows that you love her and that her religion saying that you deserve destruction is just wrong.

In your case, you felt a drive to say all that you could. You just cannot imagine Mom passing without "knowing." When she passes, you will know that she had every opportunity to "know." And while she can't let go of the WT and JW's, she probably knows.

But now you can't go through the remainder of her time arguing about this. Consider bringing it up every 10 years or so from now on.

• mamamo
    mamamo

My father recently passed away and I have been calling my mom once a week to check on her. She is 69 but has had breast cancer and suffers from fibromyglia. I try to avoid any JW topics, just want to make sure she is okay and doesn't need anything. She has said a couple of times how hard it is on her that I am DA (and have been for 20 years). Then I know it is time to say goodbye.

She was born into the "Truth" and no way would she consider anything else. I will not even try. Right now she just thinks I wanted to live my own life, not that I have found out about all the lies in the "Truth."

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

JRK,

If it's any help, I know how you feel. I don't think there's any chance of waking up my dad or mom. Every time I try, it goes in one ear out the other. I feel obligated to try. It's torture, reading that crap looking for ways to use it to my advantage never knowing if I'm getting anywhere at all. But there will come a time when I'll just have to let it go and move on. I can't keep torturing myself, it's not good for my mental health. I don't know at what point I'll feel satisfied I've done all I've can, but I think it's coming soon.

So I don't have any advice for you, just compassion. Flipper and OTWO gave some good advice though.

• whathappened
    whathappened

My mom is 85 years old/baptised for 50 plus years. When shown the photos of Russells pyramid memorial and the line in the finished mystery where is says Russell will continue to direct the society from "beyond the viel" she simply said "I'm too old to change religions now." She continues on. I however, at 56 have suffered enormously physically and emotionally. I used to say "if this isn't the truth, I don't want to live." Since finding out my whole life has been based on lies, I find myself busting out crying. I am under stress and don't know what I believe or how to believe anymore. I worry that even though my daughter says she's not going to shun me that she will change her mind in the future.

The point is, it may be the kinder thing not to say anything to the older folks, since it's really not going to alter the rest of their lives that much. It sounds good that if we could get our elderly to accept the real truth about the Watchtower Society, that it would give us some satisfaction, but maybe that's a selfish motive. I don't know. I'm not going to push it with my mom. The younger loved ones, yes, yes, yes.

• flipper
    flipper

WHAT HAPPENED- I agree with your take. The younger JW people in my family ( nieces & nephews ) aged 22 through 36 I will continue to try to open their minds up to the lies of the WT society and JW's. But the older ones ( my parents ) I will just leave it alone. They are so old and near the end of life it would devastate them to know the real truth about the WT society. And after my folks are gone, I'll start working on my older JW siblings. Hang in there JRK ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

I hear you!!!! It is frustrating! Just like ambersun, my mom just lost our Dad in 2010. My mom is only 61. Dad was 66. They were young. They were NEVER strong 'in the truth'. But, now since Dad's death, she believes EVERYTHING this crappin' religion tells her. They need SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN. We all do. But, you can't push them down away from this 'pipe-dream' now. My parents were drop-dead gorgeous ppl int heir day. They let themselves go. I feel they got burdened down with 5 kids, raising a young grandchild, Dad gets sick....but, oh, the sysytem is ending ANY DAY NOW! Dad passes away and Mom laments, "oh please Jehovah, let it end today".

I said all that to say, "precious time and life has been WASTED". Because they could't leve the cult. Their blood, sweat and tears for this religion has brought to the realization...death. All of us WILL DIE IN THIS SYSTEM!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit