Could Teaching Critical Thinking Abilities, End Cult Mind-Conrol Forever?

by lifelong humanist 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    Many people avoid cults with very little critcal thinking

I dont eat donuts everyday, I dont sit and make an analysis of my desicion not to eat donuts everyday, therefore critical thinking is not necessary to not eat donuts everyday...... Really PS?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

There's a whole lotta leaf-hacking going on in this thread. I applaud you, Lifelong Humanist, for recognizing the root: the fundamental need for children to learn and develop critical thinking. That is the key that will allow them to unlock the other doors on their own. Give a man to fish vs teach a man to fish.

For those who assume they know all they need to know about critical thinking, this is one of the better summaries I've seen: "Critical thinking is self-guided, self-disciplined thinking which attempts to reason at the highest level of quality in a fair-minded way. People who think critically consistently attempt to live rationally, reasonably, empathically. They are keenly aware of the inherently flawed nature of human thinking when left unchecked. They strive to diminish the power of their egocentric and sociocentric tendencies. They use the intellectual tools that critical thinking offers – concepts and principles that enable them to analyze, assess, and improve thinking. They work diligently to develop the intellectual virtues of intellectual integrity, intellectual humility, intellectual civility, intellectual empathy, intellectual sense of justice and confidence in reason. They realize that no matter how skilled they are as thinkers, they can always improve their reasoning abilities and they will always at times fall prey to mistakes in reasoning, human irrationality, prejudices, biases, distortions, uncritically accepted social rules and taboos, self-interest, and vested interest. They strive to improve the world in whatever ways they can and contribute to a more rational, civilized society. At the same time, they recognize the complexities often inherent in doing so. They strive never to think simplistically about complicated issues and always consider the rights and needs of relevant others. They recognize the complexities in developing as thinkers, and commit themselves to life-long practice toward self-improvement. They embody the Socratic principle: The unexamined life is not worth living, because they realize that many unexamined lives together result in an uncritical, unjust, dangerous world."

-Linda Elder, September 2007

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Critical thinking is extremely important, but it is not the entire story. Emotion also plays a big role. For instance, my fear of hellfire made the jw teaching attractive. Of course, one could say that my belief in hellfire was not very critical. Yet, I was able to think critically about many other things--justnot that. Which made my emotions run high. Once they hooked me in, I methodically suppressed critical thinking to fit the rest of the teachings in.

What do I know? I got duped by a cult.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    It goes back to what I posted before, critical thinking is great but it isn't the answer it is the path to asking the right questions but it is NOT the answer nor doe sit have it and it can cause oen to have even MORE questions and that is what cults want because, they assure you, THEY have the answers.

Devaluing the need for critical thinking skills is like devaluing the need to teach kids how to feed themselves.

I'm not sure why anyone would try to diminish the need for critical thinking skills unless they didn't fully understand it OR they understood and feared the implications. (ie, Fear of questioning his own cherished beliefs, or having subjects question his authority, etc.)

If it's the former, you have to understand these are fundamental skills upon which to build. They are not the END of anything. They are the START. People who successfully apply critical thinking skills do not stop there, satisfied with what they've acheived. Among those skills they learn to refine their thinking continuously. (Please read Linda Elder's description in my last post.) CT skills provide a key to many doors.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling some believers take a hasty prejudice against the whole CT concept because many who promote it are non-theists. But the practicality of CT skills goes way beyond religious belief. They're applied on the job, in the family, the community, making purchases, planning for the future...

Our children are the future, right? One of mankind's greatest epidemics is the spread of misinformation. Misinformation thrives on ignorance and pride, which breeds prejudice. Prejudice against people, prejudice against ideas, prejudice against anything that lies outside the realm of one's own experience. That also applies to non-theists, so don't think I'm making this out to be a Christian vs Non-theist thing. To me the important thing is how a person draws his conclusions and what he does once he thinks he's arrived at the end. So how do we attack prejudice thriving in a bed of ignorance and misinformation? Education. But we're not going to tell anyone what to believe (try though we might). And many adults are already set in how they're going to arrive at their beliefs (media anyone?). So where do we start?

Gradeschool. Prejudice starts taking root at an early age. It is before that misinformation sets in that we need to give our children the tools (and train them) to think. Critical thinking isn't just a set of skills used to debate religious beliefs, it should be used practically throughout life to make well-informed decisions.

If CT were taught from K thru 12 in public school, it would be a great start. By no means do I believe that would that be the end of high-control groups (including but not limited to the fact that some kids won't apply it) but I do think it could only help suppress cults. I'm not saying I've considered all the logistics but you have to start somewhere. Why not there?

• flipper
    flipper

SWEETBABYCHEEZITS- I agree- critical thinking should NEVER be de-valued. If a person de-values it , it leaves them open and susceptible to being duped by any concept. Like the WT society crap. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Wouldn't it simply be better for a modern society to educate young people to just think critically? After all, 'prevention is better than cure'. With the exception of the mind-controlled cult leaders, everyone would be a winner, and society would generally be much better off.

The government provides the basic education in most lands. The government wants cogs in the machine from its education program. It's all fine that some learn to rise above, but if the vast majority learned to be critical thinkers, they would rise up and revolt in many lands.

Even in free society, the masses using critical thinking would also allow them to see how abusive their own government is. Better for the politicians to make school into training for the work force so the people can make enough money to get a few luxuries and pay their taxes and think that the politicians "have their back."

We cannot expect "society" to relieve parents of their responsibility to their own children.

• moshe
    moshe

What are you trying to do here?- put an end to faith based religion?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Work is uncomfortable. Delaying gratification is uncomfortable

Critical thinking is a skill--one that must be worked at to be learned. Many people will refuse to put forth the effort to learn the skill, just like they will not put forth the effort to understand political issues and instead rely on mass media. That would leave them susceptible to cults.

American Idle

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

SweetBabyCheezits, jgnat, Mad Sweeney, et al

I've read and enjoyed the many, and varied, comments on this thread. So, thank you to all forum members that have posted.

lifelong humanist

• wobble
    wobble

Thank YOU Lifelonghumanist, for starting the thread, I have enjoyed it too, and learned a bit as usual !

Of course we all use CT to a degree on a daily basis, but the ability to use it to the full is certainly not innate, and emotion does enter in to it.

For example, a Salesman approaches you unsolicited, everybody's CT skills naturally come in to play to a degree, but the salesman is trained to overcome what you may be thinking, if you know how to use CT properly you will see through his every ploy, and see the "product" he is selling as it really is.

Even so, you may feel sorry for the Salesman, he has a family to feed, and so you buy anyway.

But at least you are happy with your decision, you know it was based on altruism, not that your brain was baffled by his B.S .

I am so pleased that after coming here, JWN, I was moved to hone my CT skills, they could still do with some work!

But now I am able to look at things and see them far more clearly, CT gives you a 100% working turbo-boosted Bull**it Detector, it doesn't matter if its a politician speaking, or a book you read or a TV programmme etc. it works, and makes my world a far better place than it was, for me.

I agree CT should be taught at as early an age as possible, and continually encouraged throughout education.

If it was, Snake Oil Salesmen beware !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit