Could Teaching Critical Thinking Abilities, End Cult Mind-Conrol Forever?

by lifelong humanist 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think Terry hit on something noteworthy though that emotions can easily over ride critical

and discerning thinking skills.

This is where the WTS. propagates itself so well by infusing emotions into their doctrines.

Such as Paradise on earth with no death or pain, resurrection of loved ones who have died,

everyone lives for at least a 1000 years. (Pleasure)

People who do not become a member of this organization will most assertively die at the soon to come

Armageddon, never to be resurrected and live on into enternity. (Fear)

These are the most prominent progressive elements of emotions that the WTS. implies onto people

given the opportunity. Thats why when a JWS wants to preach or apostatize their beliefs these are

mostly the topics of discussion. Its easy to see how these powerful emotions can impede critical thinking,

particularly when they are infused into religious beliefs.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

"Common Sense"? how bout not wearing a burka in afghanistan? woudl that be common sense?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

common sense is only common as long as the other people in you group think like you

• blondie
    blondie

Thinking skills...The seminars I have attended show that one of the best hunting grounds for cults are universities. Does that mean that universities don't teach critical thinking?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

True, common sense tends to be subjective, but then anything that involves us thinking or preceiving tends to be that way too, which applies to critical thinking also.

Nomatter what you will not find a "one size fits all" solution.

Heck the NT makes it clear that we are to TEST all that we are taught/exposed to and to test by heart, spirit AND mind.

Can't get much more critical than that since you are accounting for al the factors that will infulence you and not just "evidence" or "proof" or "convience".

Our mind tests the logic, but understand that knowledge is incomplete, our hearts test the emotion of it all and deep down we FEEL what is right for us and the spirit guides us along the way, in all things, BUT they must work together because separatly they will only give you part of the picture.

Many people avoid cults with very little critcal thinking, I am sure we can all agree on that, so how do they do it?

Many people believe themselves to be critical thinkers but yet, are part of a cult and saying they aren't critical thinkers won't cut it because youare just expressing an opinion and to them, that is ust YOUR POV, they will assure you that they are critical thinkers.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thinking skills...The seminars I have attended show that one of the best hunting grounds for cults are universities. Does that mean that universities don't teach critical thinking?

It goes back to what I posted before, critical thinking is great but it isn't the answer it is the path to asking the right questions but it is NOT the answer nor doe sit have it and it can cause oen to have even MORE questions and that is what cults want because, they assure you, THEY have the answers.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One last thing before I sign off here:

Critical thinking is an excellent tool, but it has its limitations and doesn't take into account quite a few things that also effect a person's decision to be part of a cult ( or to not be) and unless those limitations are acknowledge then what you get is half baked results with the mistaken belief that the method is "full proof", it's just the people that aren't doing it right.

Fact it that is is a tool and one of many and can't be a stand alone because of what I stated above.

Just my humble opinion, no more no less.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

one of the best hunting grounds for cults are universities

Mary, I think that that has something to do more with focusing on to young insecure people who haven't

quite formulated their own personal self identity, the younger you are the more recipient you are to varied suggestions.

In other words younger people are a easier mark and the orchestrators of cults who are mainly older adults

have this in mind convincingly, there is venerability in youth to be realized.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In my mind, every child that undergoes an education system,.......the emphasis should be on teaching people how to think critically, and for the common good of all.

The common good, yes, but it would not be good for those in power. Politicians do not want people to think.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Religions are just commercial exploitations of the mind and heart that singularly cumulates power and wealth to the proponents. !

There, I just made an expressive thought based on critical thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit