Latest Big Love reaction at the undercover house...

by undercover 24 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

So I DVRd the last couple of episodes of Big Love. Wasn't able to watch them at first broadcast the last couple of weeks.

We've watched this series from it's start and haven't missed an episode. As the cultishness of the compound and even Bill's family became more central to the story...and the off-hand criticisms of the 'real' Mormon church are leveled, I sense mild anxiety at times while watching the show. While beliefs between the Mormon church, the cult off-shoots and the JWs are different, there are similarities in how members are coerced to believe, obey and not question. There are strong similarities in how they treat those that seek to look outside the confines of the church/doctrines.

Each episode I watch I catch something that makes me say, "I undertand that. It's just like being a JW..." It's amazing how well the writers of this show get it. Ex-mos, ex-JWs, other ex-cult members can relate to some aspect of what is happening to the characters of this show.

It has been my hope that my wife would feel some discomfort watching this show and actually see some similarities in how these people act and react and how we, as JWs, acted and reacted. Up till now though, she hasn't expressed anything out of the norm while watching. We could have been watching Deadwood or the Sopranos for all the reaction she expressed. Just another HBO soap opera.

But we watched the last two episodes back to back and I think something finally clicked. This is the last season and they're building up to some big climax. Hopefully it's the downfall of the compound and even Bill (as I personally don't think he's much better than the compound leaders - but I'm biased... I'm a cult survivor) We're seeing different facets of the sister-wives. I've especially appreciated Barb's independant streak and the reaction that it has brought. Even Nikki shows hope. She confronts Albie about being a victim of the cult but hasn't totally given up the belief system. Margene, cute as a button though she is, is just a flake...

Anyway, each week I kinda expect to see some reaction from my wife, some introspective comment or demeanor but it never happens...until this week. It's not so much anything she said, but she physically cringed during certain scenes and afterwards said nothing, when usually she'll try to analyze next week's drama. She sat quietly, didn't move for a while and then left the room without a word and for the rest of the evening basically isolated herself. No more TV, no conversation. She went to bed without a 'goodnight' or asking if I was coming, unusual for her. I don't know what part of what episode did it, but something, or maybe two hours of it, did something to cause her to withdraw. I'm hoping it's a crack that widens as she analyzes her feelings and thoughts. And I can't wait for next week's episode.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this show?

• tec
    tec

I've never watched it, but I agree that something struck home with your wife. I hope things progress (for the better) for the two of you.

Tammy

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I've never watched that show due to time, and I've always wanted to check it out. I have to say, reading your post was far more interesting to me than that show could ever be. I guess I find it interesting for the same reasons you find that show interesting, as I can relate. I either missed it or maybe you didn't mention it, but when did this happen? LAst night? How is she today? Is it awkward in the house?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Intriguing thread UC. Please keep us posted.

• undercover
    undercover
    when did this happen? LAst night? How is she today? Is it awkward in the house?

It was Monday actually. It took me awhile to gather up all my thoughts/feelings on it. As for awkwardness the next day, yesterday, nothing major. A little quiet in the morning...clingy even. But after work back home things were pretty normal. I would guess that it's now been pushed aside...but still there to be resurrected when we watch the next episode. Hopefully, they'll cover more of the cult aspect and trigger similar feeliings/reactions again.

I wish I could explain in words better the feelings/emotions/reactions that these situations bring about. It's a small, almost imperceptile thing that the average person would never catch but being so tuned to the aspects of cult indoctrination and trying to leave a cult, it magnifies the responses and feelings tenfold. On one level I could see some JWs watching this show and loving it for criticizing the Mormons and all their issues but never ever seeing the similarities. Yet, when that connection hits, it's bound to cause some discomfort. Since I've worked pretty hard to disconnect my wife from the JW lifestyle, I'm hoping that being free of the daily/weekly indoctrination will allow her to dwell on that discomfort. It might hurt, but like we've all experienced it gets better when you finally figure it all out.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Wow man, UC this is fascinating. I'm excited reading this. A couple years back I watched a documentary on Jonestown with my dad, and I didn't express to him any of the similarities I picked up on between the WT and Jonestown. The whole time watching it, it made me uncomfortable, like I wanted to scream at him like, "don't you see it!!"

By the way UC, I'm single, and very used to being on my own, so forgive me for asking, but...... what is "clingy?"

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I enjoy the show, but I find myself liking Bill less and less every season.

As for similarities with JWs- I remember an episode a couple of seasons back where Nikki was offended by someone wearing a cross, and saying "Why not just wear a gun around your neck". I can't remember how many times I heard a JW say the exact same thing. I think I even recall that illustration being used in their publications.

• tec
    tec

Clingy = Needy.

Needing attention, reassurance, comfort, that sort of thing. (not so obviously, but still there)

Tammy

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I hope she doesn't slam the door on any thoughts of similarities between JW's and Mormans she may be having. That's the biggest problem among all of them - they are quick to slam and bash other faiths when they see things that are blatently wrong but as soon as something with JW beliefs or actions start to niggle, it'll bug them for a little bit, but the rationalizing kicks in and those thoughts get completely buried. I think we all know this from personal experience...

My fingers and toes are crossed for you that she keeps pulling at the thread.

Oh...and you're making me want to watch Big Love!!!! lol

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is an interesting development, for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit