Is it just human nature to gossip or are JW's worse? Feelings are hurt....

by mamalove 43 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Personally the elders in the cong I was once in were terrible gossipers. They loved it and searched for dirt about individuals. As for the cong, they were no different than worldly friends in talking about others.

• Gill
    Gill

I would sadly have to say they are worse and quite heartless with it.

I ran into a JW relation the other week and she could not resist telling me of a JW brother who had his testicles removed due to a very bad illness.

All the time she was laughing and giggling like a fool. Another JW came along, (this one chose to shun me,but who gives a flying fig!) and they both started gigging about this poor man and how my relation had sent him a card with lots of peanuts stuck onto it for a laugh.

These people are bad, heartless, stupid and immature.

All I can say is I am so glad I no longer have anything to do with these fools! I shall be partaking of my own form of shunning from now on!

Horrible people!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MAMALOVE:

Even though people in general like to gossip and it is a human failing, I feel there is more than the usual gossip in the JW religion. They gossip far beyond what is normal.

Part of the reason, I think, is because they are encouraged to have no other activities other than the religion (or their job, if they work). As a result, they become fixated on people in the hall. So, instead of celebrities, they talk about you. And there are those who they LOVE to gossip about. If you are a woman let me tell you, they love to rip you apart. Meow! What a bunch of cats. And, they do it in car groups with the pioneers being the worst offenders since they somehow become privy to everybody's business.

I might forgive them if they didn't go around saying how 'loving' the religion is. With 'friends' like these - who needs enemies?

• Scott77
    Scott77
    '...I've been where you are and it makes me sick...'
    LovelyEunie

Me too been there. However, being a man, I have the will to confront them as needed but choose not to. Every negative stuff be it gossips coming from 'god's holy organisation', is something of a learning experiences for me. Its as if it distances me one extra mile away from it.

Scott77

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Mrs. Jones says it very simply in one sentence:

Folks gossip to make themselves feel better about their sorry lives.

JW's have sorry lives so when someone leaves their sorry lives they dream up some kind of story that makes the one who has left out to have a sorry life even though often times those that have left are much happier. So the gossip runs rampant. They also gossip about those who are in who aren't real uber Jdubs and they gossip about those in the world and they even gossip about those that are more active then they are and they gossip about the world and about life and.....

YES, I THINK JW's are worse but of course maybe we're are just gossiping here LOL

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

I'm so sorry. There has been a lot of gossip going around about NLW and I. It's hard for me to deal with because I liked having my "good" name. I don't like people thinking ill of me. Especially family members. But I can't do anything about it because no one is talking to me. I think what a lot of people said is spot on with gossip making JW's feel better about themselves and also because they don't have other interests.

NLW's wife

• blondie
    blondie

There is gossip, light talk but true about others, but then there is lying, talk that is knowingly not true, or bad talk passed along from others without verification.

jws claim to be the only true Christians, that all others are professed or so-called Christians, doomed to eternal destruction soon. They are worse than others....

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I am sorry to hear about that but don't let iet it get you down. I have always thought they were gossips and these people are supposed to be Christians. Reading all of the posts in this thread which are all so accurate brought back so many memories of what unkind people they really are.

Sad that they don't have anything better in their lives to do or talk about that they say cruel and nasty things about other people.

I am sure there must be lots of tongues wagging at the KH we used to attend. We faded over a period and on the occasions we did attend we always had the silent treatment or if someone spoke it will be an unkind comment. We then moved house and told no-one. We had reason to go back to the house before the new people moved in and one old lady had shoved a tract through our letter box. I wonder what she must have thought when she visited again and realised we had moved!!! Plenty of gossip for them there.

Just remember everyone on this site has probably been gossiped about and like you they are now free from all that crap.

LI

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I agree that its worse in the KH....and moreso about people who have left...dont let it get you down Mamalove..just dont allow it her ignorance to trouble you. It's irrelevant because as you say it's based on fallacy because she doesnt know you at all.

There's a lady at Uni...I have seen her sometimes in a lecture hall amongst over 100 people...she knows a few people that I know..she only covers a few of my modules because her major is different from mine. A while ago she posted a nasty comment about me on a friend's facebook and I decided to challenge her about it. Her reasoning was that she found me 'snobbish' and 'rude' because I never ever approached her to chat !!!! She didnt approach me either, for the record, and it would have felt a little odd, ( though I'm a friendly old bird and will chat to anyone ) if she had, since we dont know each other and had never been involved in any conversations in common! However, she felt that I really should have singled her out of the dozens of students and made friends with her! She'd had this whole issue based on her own imagination of possible persecution/neglect from me! So unreasonable.

Some people have huge egos and the other side of that is that they usually have low self esteem - their only way to handle any perceived dislike of themselves is to attack anyone who might exacerbate those feelings.

I think this is what happened to you. I'm sorry it did. Its true we all have feelings and especially when they claim to be 'God's people' they should refrain from such nastiness...but they dont...they wallow in the opportunity to have a gossip about someone. Sad reflection on them but not on you.

Loz x

• Twitch
    Twitch

We are social animals and it is our nature to talk about others in our social circle. People who are not JW do it too however the difference is that most cliches aren't as "tight" or dependant on conformity. Your mileage may vary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit