Did you have higher ed when you were in? If so how were you treated as a result?

by highdose 38 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

With the exception of a few negative comments from some overlyzealous Witness, we were all treated fine at our congregations.

• St George of England
    St George of England

After I got married I did a 4 year full time degree course and then followed it with another year full time for a masters. Since then I have also taken part time courses.

At no time has anyone ever spoken to me about it.

Now that I am retired I wake each morning grateful that I did that and I have a pension and savings.

A visiting speaker to our KH recently remarked that he is still working as a window cleaner, he is 72 years old! Such is the wisdom of the WTS Education Policy.

George

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I, and all my siblings, eared our 4-year degrees. Fortunately, most of my peers were able to do the same in our congregation-- including most of the elders' kids (our family included) without any real trouble from others.

To the best of my knowlege, all (including myself) are still "in" and most are "core" members of the congregations they now attend. Some have even gone back and are currently working on advanced degrees (even while they serve as MS's or elders).

Where the hell do you live?? There may be lots of young JWs moving there.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

DoC,

You have a PM

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    to late for meeeeeee......

It's never too late! Unless your 90 or something, you can go for an education. If money is an issue, the government has some fantastic financial aid programs for adults.

I went to college, but did not make it well known. So no one talked to me about it. Plus, I think it was during the time that they were a bit more relaxed about it. NOW they are coming back strong on how bad it is. People that can think don't make very good cult members.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, highdose and fellow posters:

Thought-provoking stories these.

I studied in earnest with the JWs while attending college. Upon baptism at the end of my first year of higher education, I quit school, pioneered, went to Bethel. I told my story to a Brooklyn audience during a circuit assembly and felt like king of the kingdom ...

Ironic that an anointed sister, whose Witness son was a college professor, should encourage me to continue my education.

I ought to have listened to her.

Thanks,

CoCo

• d
    d

In 2008 before I left, a few people warned about higher education saying it be bad for my sprituality.Now look I am in a community college and will then transfer to a four year college.I hope this helps me in the long run.I want to get a high paying career and make alot of money.That would show those overly self righteous people.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I got higher ed while I was in. I was not openly treated in a bad way....but I did get shepherding calls from the CO and elders. I told them I had to do this, and I also had to work long hours for a couple of years to clear up some financial troubles. I stood my ground, and they backed down with a virtual shrug.

However, this is before the thumbscrews on higher ed were tightened in the mid 00s. The Watchtower's higher ed position was softer in the late 90s, than it is now.

BTS

• joeblow
    joeblow

I also opted for a Uni degree while I was still "in". I wasn't treated badly in any open way... I do know the elders "encouraged" some of the more brainwashed of my peers at the KH to spend time with me and try to redirect my energies. I wasn't having any of that though. i fought long and hard to be able to go to Uni in the first place.... higher education is expensive and my family weren't exactly rolling in the cash since my parents were good JWs working low paying jobs. When I graduated no one showed up for the grad ceremony... I didn't even get a "good job" from friends at the local cong.

Do I care no one showed up? Nope. I got my education, and have been able to travel the world.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I, and all my siblings, eared our 4-year degrees. Fortunately, most of my peers were able to do the same in our congregation-- including most of the elders' kids (our family included) without any real trouble from others.
    To the best of my knowlege, all (including myself) are still "in" and most are "core" members of the congregations they now attend. Some have even gone back and are currently working on advanced degrees (even while they serve as MS's or elders).

For someone so well educated - you can't even spell A-P-O-S-T-A-T-E

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/204486/1/Oppostate-you-have-a-PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit