"Have you ever been in love?"

by compound complex 46 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

“Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain.

I hate love.”

Neil Gaiman

• compound complex
    compound complex

No responsive chord struck ...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think love is the one exception to free will. Try to force yourself not to love someone you love. Can't do it.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Coco,

I was beginning to identify with the quote up until the point of "let's be friends". I never get that line. When the moment of clarity comes I find my love was a leprechan.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you both, FHN and cameo, for your replies.

I think I can identify with points in your respective comments, as well as those initially made by Mr. Gaiman.

No rhyme nor reason ...

Just heartache and leprechauns....

CoCo

• Terry
    Terry

I have finally come to view "love" as a coup wrought upon the brain by the glands.

The atavism of species perpetuation asserts itself like clockwork in us all and we dandify the experience with nostrums of poetic chirping.

The population of the Earth swells and the aftermath has us all scratching our heads wondering what went wrong.

Sigh...

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Yeah. Been in love twice. First girl I gave up because the witnesses told me to. I went through 16 years of regret because of that and recently found her on FB and told her. She is married with kids now etc. The second is my current wife. Hardworker, most of the time loving etc. If things ever go south, I will retreat to Realdoll. I wouldn't ever get married again.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Terry and Botzwana, for words both true and sad.

I'm sorry, Botz, for that unfortunate turn of events - one all too familiar for us. You're correct about poetic chirpings and head scratching, Terry ...

I have searched long for that love of all loves,
    But it hastens not, though my winter's arrived

And leaves me desolate of every hope of warmth,
    Comfort and a prospect of my name's immortality.

Nor will this elusive love reveal itself in my tiny dreams,
    Allowing, at the very least, a gossamer of muted visions

That would elevate this worn and bitter man to a level of
    Expanded vistas, kindling within flames of love's illusion ...

CoCo's been there, done that and still chirping and scratching his head.

• Violia
    Violia

Yes and it was wonderful. My skin glowed and my hair grew rapidly. . My every thought was of this person. I felt turned on all the time. Their touch felt electic.

I felt gutted when it ended. I was so sick, haggard and depressed for a while. Cried myself to sleep at night. Someone can just rip your beating heart of your chest with the words," I don't love you ". The problem was, I still loved them.

Warren Zevon says it best, " they say love conquers all you can't start it like a car or stop it with a gun". the first link I put up would not play so put up another one. hope one of them plays, otherwise just click on video and it will take you to u tube.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dearest Violia:

The problem was, I still loved them.

Sigh ...

Thanks for the videos. I'm sure they'll help.

I'm more detached and objective now. Then some stupid person will come into my stupid life and ...

Love,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit